MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 6, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #2,701 of 2,891
Now try the same test using Binaural music, you can get free samplers from HDTracks (but I own a lot of it as well). It is the spacing I appreciate with the Primes. A soloist behind you and the depth of instruments that come from left and right. Some closer some farther away. There are times when you can even tell if an artist is standing or sitting. That is the type of spacing that comes through to me with the primes.

Thanks.

I will check out some of that binaural content this weekend. It will be a new thing for me, I am used to playing just music for music sake so it will be interesting.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2,702 of 2,891
It is recorded using a mannequin head with microphones where a person's ears would be from what I remember. It is music geared toward headphones. There are also cute samplers out there with a barber clicking scissors going from one ear, around the back of your head to the other ear. I believe the current music is binaural plus which also sounds very good over speaker systems. There is one caveat though IMHO, some of it sounds so good it is hard to return to standard music after hearing it. Chesky also records in churches and such and does not doctor the music, if there is natural reverb, it shows up on the recordings. On one Melissa Menago recording you can hear rain pattering on the roof if you listen closely. This is not to be confused with binaural chanting lol, that is something entirely different.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #2,703 of 2,891
OK... I'm gonna try one more time my Primes with LC. Gonna swap couple of different cables and both of my DACs. Maybe it's because of Holo Spring DAC which is a NOS DAC and has some inherent warmth. Although I think Mjolnir would definitely be better mach for Primes.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #2,704 of 2,891
Listen in balanced mode if you can on the LC, that doubles the power output. I build my own cables for the Primes and if you are ever so inclined I can walk you through it on a more appropriate DIY thread. IMG_2160.JPG This is just a simple four wire braid on some OFC wire, I am using the Valhalla 2 as a preamp into the LC coming off a TEAC Dac at this time. I take great care on my interconnect cables because I have a lot of equipment in close proximity and often have four or five devices going through a switchbox. Anyway the end result getting to the Primes was quite good IMHO.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #2,705 of 2,891
Listen in balanced mode if you can on the LC, that doubles the power output. I build my own cables for the Primes and if you are ever so inclined I can walk you through it on a more appropriate DIY thread. This is just a simple four wire braid on some OFC wire, I am using the Valhalla 2 as a preamp into the LC coming off a TEAC Dac at this time. I take great care on my interconnect cables because I have a lot of equipment in close proximity and often have four or five devices going through a switchbox. Anyway the end result getting to the Primes was quite good IMHO.

Thanks for your suggestion. I even have a Norne audio balanced cable for MrSpeakers .I've tried to listen comparatively last night. I concluded that the both, Hugo and Cayin C5 have edge in comparison to Cavalli even when listening balanced. I can say, however, that Cavalli sounded decent though. But not as confident and authoritative as when driving Audeze, AKG Q702 or Meze 99. I'm yet to find the better amp for AKG than LC. They are born to play together.

Oct 7, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #2,706 of 2,891
Just spent the weekend and some of the week going back and forth between the Prime and Ori, I can definitely say another major difference in sound between them (besides signature differences) is presentation. I noticed everything sounds much closer to your ear with the Ori than it does on the Prime. I will attempt an analogy to better compare the two headphones.

Imagine this: You are standing right in-between two large floor standing speakers that are inches away from you, and they are directly to your left and right. When music is playing you feel every bit of music and especially the bass. Impact and presence are apparent. >>> That sort of describes the Ori.

Now imagine the same situation, but in an acoustically treated room and with the speakers several feet away and slightly in front of you. Neutrality, Imaging and accuracy can flourish. >>> That's the Prime.

I may have to re-evaluate my view on the Ori, during these tests I was continuously surprised at how well it kept up with presenting little details. I have been feeding lots of music through both of them that I have not heard in a long time, it calls for lots of ooh and ahh moments.
Just got the Oris yesterday night very late. Your impressions are great ! I did not do A/B comparaison though.
The Oris I think may be a "sweeter" sounding more layed back a but less reactive (dynamic) can than the Prime.

Oct 7, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #2,707 of 2,891
Just got the Oris yesterday night very late. Your impressions are great ! I did not do A/B comparaison though.
The Oris I think may be a "sweeter" sounding more layed back a but less reactive (dynamic) can than the Prime.

Did you get them used or..?

Oct 7, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #2,709 of 2,891
Yes used but authentic. Why ?
Just curious since you were able to get a set quite swiftly.

Buying used is always a plus..for saving time. The lead time on a new set is killer long.

Oct 7, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #2,711 of 2,891
Ah yes !! I hear you. Actually I drove 2 hours late in the night to get them (4 hours in total). Worth it though; paid 418$.

What kind of wood are they?

$418 is an absolute steal.

Oct 7, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,713 of 2,891
Yes, in Bocote wood, and mint condition. I wonder though if I should put the Alpha Pads on them? The Alpha pads have a slight better seal in my opinion.

Matter of fact, I have a spare set of Alpha Pads for my Prime. I'll throw them on the Ori tomorrow. My Ori has the zmf cowhides currently.

Also have spare 1540 shure pads, may try those just for fun

Oct 7, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #2,714 of 2,891
Matter of fact, I have a spare set of Alpha Pads for my Prime. I'll throw them on the Ori tomorrow. My Ori has the zmf cowhides currently.

Also have spare 1540 shure pads, may try those just for fun
Seriously?!!!!
Ok please let me know what you think with the Alpha pads!!
I look forward to your impressions !!

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #2,715 of 2,891
Did some pad swapping earlier.
Sorry for the sideways phone camera pics, not sure how to get them right side up:
1ik9zs.jpg

mr6xqg.jpg

2n827w1.jpg

Alpha Prime with ZMF Cowhide pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back