MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 19, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,143 of 2,891
From what I read the folder ribbon tweeter like the one's I have on my monitor operates in a different way from Dan's  implementation. First folder ribbon tweeter operates in the vertical plane by squeezing the air and therefore the air speed escaping from the tweeter can be five times greater than the vertical motion of the tweeter itself. That is the reason that folded ribbon tweeters are  sometimes called air motion transformers because of the speed changes.

One of the biggest limitation that I see with the magnetic planner driver is that the middle of the driver can move in greater distance than the near edges of the driver because of the lack of a flexible surround at the edges. For me that sounds a great deal of distortion.  For Dan's implementation the whole diaphragm moves together more as one. For me than means less distortion. Even a dome tweeter has a flexible surround moves more like a singular unit. 
yes and thats one of the main reason behind folding in any kind of speakers. It increase flexibility. Just like you mentioned even ordinary speakers, especially woofers have flexible folding around edge. Its nothing new really. Im still wonder how Mr Speakers will specify which design will violate his patent and which not. Just to clarify, I really appreciate his work and how unique approach It is in modding fostex drivers. I learned few nice things from his posts. But still I dont see reason to patent this. About Oppo design, their diaphragm is really unique but patent on folding pattern? Btw. I know how ribbon works

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,144 of 2,891

So my question is why you don't just pleat the edges close to where the diaphragm is fixed, and leaving the central area smooth (like in some full-size speakers)? I'm curious to know how the pleated diaphragm surface affects it's ability to reproduce sound, as it gives the diaphragm surface the ability to expand and contract, and makes it potentially more difficult to control and keep "flat."

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #1,145 of 2,891

So my question is why you don't just pleat the edges close to where the diaphragm is fixed, and leaving the central area smooth (like in some full-size speakers)? I'm curious to know how the pleated diaphragm surface affects it's ability to reproduce sound, as it gives the diaphragm surface the ability to expand and contract, and makes it potentially more difficult to control and keep "flat."

You forgot one thing. The entire surface for the most part is covered with the "voice coil" printed circuit in this case. That helps from a electrical standpoint to move the diaphragm as a whole. With a typical woofer only the voice coil "ring" is driving the whole cone. Also I think that Dan stated that pleating the whole diaphragm helps to  break up the mechanical resonances of the diaphragm.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #1,149 of 2,891
  I just love it when a plan comes together.
Got my pair of alpha primes on Wednesday. They are the most difficult headphones to take off. They sort of become an organic part of your ears.

I've found that also, tho I do suffer nerve damage l have from a pernicious anaemia which affects my ability to make complex movements with hand/fingers.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #1,150 of 2,891
I got my alpha primes on Wednesday!

Sold my Mad Dogs 3.2 (Which I was sad to see go as before the alpha primes I had really enjoyed them) but upon demoing the Alpha Primes it was such a step up on the Mad Dogs I was convinced!

Was running them out of my old Audio-GD 12.1 which I have now replaced because it was getting super hot when playing music and also randomly reconnecting and disconnecting though still somewhat usable. Think when I can be bothered and have the funds I will try see if I can send them to the manufacturer to have a look.

Got a new dac/amp though for the Alpha Primes, the Questyle Q192 Dac/Head Amp. Had a bit of an issue though because the brand new unit I got only produced static sounds on my Windows PC and had to return it and replace with another brand new unit that was not defective.

So with all that out of the way am really pleased with the combo and I think this will be my last purchase for a long time ... I hope lol. The sound is in all respect to my previous setup (Mad Dog 3.2 / AudioGd 12.1) a quite noticeable improvement but the best thing is I can get lost in the sensation of just enjoying music! Though its kind of odd the Audio-Gd 12.1 can power the Alpha Primes quite easily (I have the volume knob at 11'oclock, any higher than 1'oclock and it becomes painfully loud) whilst I have the Questyle Q192 at maximum volume which is still really loud but nowhere close to the Audio-Gd. The quality in sound is - to my ears again - subjectively better on the Q192.

My budget is pretty much gone for now but at least I can enjoy my music at a much higher quality than before!

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #1,151 of 2,891
  I just love it when a plan comes together.
Got my pair of alpha primes on Wednesday. They are the most difficult headphones to take off. They sort of become an organic part of your ears.

I use both hands and grab around the edges of the pads(not the pads itself) to present less risk of damaging the leather when I take them off. I've had my pair for almost a year now and the leather pads have been holding up really well because I baby them and use the Audeze leather conditioner. I hope they go another 2 or 3 years but I think I will end up replacing them by that time if I am not as careful.

also: if you don't have a stand it helps to fold the earcup inwards to prevent the pads from pressing up against each other which would leave an indentation in the bottom of the earpad that is temporary but could cause a crease if one was not careful

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #1,152 of 2,891
I use both hands and grab around the edges of the pads(not the pads itself) to present less risk of damaging the leather when I take them off. I've had my pair for almost a year now and the leather pads have been holding up really well because I baby them and use the Audeze leather conditioner. I hope they go another 2 or 3 years but I think I will end up replacing them by that time if I am not as careful.

also: if you don't have a stand it helps to fold the earcup inwards to prevent the pads from pressing up against each other which would leave an indentation in the bottom of the earpad that is temporary but could cause a crease if one was not careful

+1 Yes treat the pads with the Audeze Leather conditioner or some other quality conditioner.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,153 of 2,891

I thought IIcook51 was trying to be funny / humorous...I.e., hard to remove 'cause they were comfy & sounded so good. Funny how people interpret things differently.
:wink:

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #1,154 of 2,891
I thought IIcook51 was trying to be funny / humorous...I.e., hard to remove 'cause they were comfy & sounded so good. Funny how people interpret things differently

I did intend it to be a joke. I guess we all take our "hobby" a little too seriously sometimes.
To reddog and washmoh, thanks for serious responses. That is really good advice.
I am doing some "serious" listening today.
Happy ears to all!

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,155 of 2,891
Does anyone know if the Meiers Corda Classic would do well the Primes?

Thanks Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back