MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 15, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,096 of 2,891

For the record, we are capping on our dear friend who's last name sounds like "Mercer", right? Good naturedly as well. A great guy, if way over the top.

I have been using the Oppo HA-1. It is quite good. My fave was the Bifrost Uber + Asgaard 2. The Schiit stack, when analyzed against the HA-1 by going both DACs into HA-1 amp, then both into A2 amp were really, really close. The amps are both discreet class A, and were essentially indistinguishable. The dacs differed ever so slightly with the HA-1 leaning to bright and detailed, the BF Uber ever so slightly smoother. These differences were near indescernable. In the end I went with the HA-1, as I was a beta tester, it was a gift from Oppo, sounded excellent and was a bit like a child since I helped ever so slightly to hatch it. Plus, the build quality is simply stunning. On sound alone, I'd take the Schiit stack by a red hair. I really want a Lyr2, which I would run from the analog out of the HA-1, at least for now.

I've been looking at an all-in-one balanced unit and the Oppo HA-1 and Aune S16 are both in the ballpark of what I'm looking for. The difference is that the HA-1 has balanced DAC and amp, while the S16 has balanced DAC and SE headphone. Also the S16 costs $599-$699 retail and the Oppo HA-1 is $1200. The Oppo HA-1 has an ESS Sabre32 9018 and the S16 has the new AKM4495EQ that is capable of DSD as well. I'm hoping someone can come into possession of both units and do a brief comparison because both seem like the Chinese tech advances I've been waiting for. The HA-1 is the much more aesthetically appealing unit but the S16 has a very promising looking DAC section that has never been implemented in any other DACs yet so far.

The HA-1 has the advantage of being able to function as a preamp. From what I can tell, the S16 can't.

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,097 of 2,891
  The HA-1 has the advantage of being able to function as a preamp. From what I can tell, the S16 can't.

I am looking at the back of the S16 unit and I see two balanced outs and two RCA outs. They aren't preamps though? That seems like a dealbreaker because my Asgard 2 has preamp outs I can use with my active monitors.

edit: on the other hand I could always buy a Schiit SYS and hook it up to the S16 and then use my monitors anyways

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,098 of 2,891

I am looking at the back of the S16 unit and I see two balanced outs and two RCA outs. They aren't preamps though? That seems like a dealbreaker because my Asgard 2 has preamp outs I can use with my active monitors.

edit: on the other hand I could always buy a Schiit SYS and hook it up to the S16 and then use my monitors anyways

I was reading the S16 thread earlier today (one of them, at least), and a person who owns it (or owned it) claims that the analog jacks on the back don't allow for variable output. 

It certainly was a dealbreaker for me since I'm looking for something that can function both as a killer DAC and as a killer preamp. I'd like to add a bit of pregain to my Dragon.

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #1,099 of 2,891
For the record, we are capping on our dear friend who's last name sounds like "Mercer", right? Good naturedly as well. A great guy, if way over the top.

I have been using the Oppo HA-1. It is quite good. My fave was the Bifrost Uber + Asgaard 2. The Schiit stack, when analyzed against the HA-1 by going both DACs into HA-1 amp, then both into A2 amp were really, really close. The amps are both discreet class A, and were essentially indistinguishable. The dacs differed ever so slightly with the HA-1 leaning to bright and detailed, the BF Uber ever so slightly smoother. These differences were near indescernable. In the end I went with the HA-1, as I was a beta tester, it was a gift from Oppo, sounded excellent and was a bit like a child since I helped ever so slightly to hatch it. Plus, the build quality is simply stunning. On sound alone, I'd take the Schiit stack by a red hair. I really want a Lyr2, which I would run from the analog out of the HA-1, at least for now.

Hmmm I have been tempted to get the Bifrost Uber dac, and then start saving up. I have read lots of reviews on how good the Bifrost Uber sounds, especially with the Asgard 2. This is a wonderful hobby that can keep my wallet on the lean side. Hope you have great night jamming out, on your awesome HA-1. I would get a HA-1, if I had the extra money, really impressed by Oppo products.

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #1,100 of 2,891
If you're patient, go for 850. If you want a quick sale, http://www.head-fi.org/u/418953/shaunst that gentleman wanted mine for 750, but I got a slightly better offer with no PayPal fees soon after. PM him and see if he's still interested.

Zero posts and joined on Thursday. Probably a great person, but I would get cleared payment and external references before sending the headphones, just to be safe.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #1,102 of 2,891
Did Dan say his preferred cables to use on the Alpha Primes are the norne vanquish? Could be mistaken.

Yes I think you are right. At least he had some vanquish cables on his headphones at a few shows last year.

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,103 of 2,891
We regularity suggest people consider BTG, Norne, Nordost, WyWires, Effect, and Moon Audio. There are several others, I don't have a complete list, and we don't make specific references beyond a list. There are also vendors whose cables I haven't heard yet like Double Helix.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 16, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #1,104 of 2,891
A new review is up on Headfonics...

http://headfonics.com/2015/02/the-alpha-prime-by-mrspeakers/

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #1,105 of 2,891
I get a lot of requests about what is different in Alpha Prime vs the Alpha Dog. Since we've filed for a patent on this, I'll take off the secrecy and share the concept.  The full write up is on our website here

The teaser version is that our technology textures the driver to reduce the effect of the boundary conditions that keep planar drivers from behaving as actual planar surfaces. 

Conventional Planar Diaphragm motion (conceptual, obviously):

V-Planar (yes, that's what we're calling it) pleats the driver, somewhat similar to a ribbon tweeter, allowing it to move more freely across the whole surface, for improved dynamics, lower distortion and extended frequency response, as conceptually shown here:

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #1,106 of 2,891
  I get a lot of requests about what is different in Alpha Prime vs the Alpha Dog. Since we've filed for a patent on this, I'll take off the secrecy and share the concept.  The full write up is on our website here

The teaser version is that our technology textures the driver to reduce the effect of the boundary conditions that keep planar drivers from behaving as actual planar surfaces. 

Conventional Planar Diaphragm motion (conceptual, obviously)

V-Planar (yes, that's what we're calling it) pleats the driver, somewhat similar to a ribbon tweeter, allowing it to move more freely across the whole surface, for improved dynamics, lower distortion and extended frequency response. 

This is very exciting! Granted, my engineering knowledge is zero, but nonetheless this strikes me as an elegantly simple improvement (and by "simple" I don't mean easy or non-intensive; rather, I mean [something like] beautiful). It would be awesome if this is the sort of innovation which moves the industry forward. But as you point out in the text given in the link, it's the innovation's ability to move us closer to the music that matters the most.

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,107 of 2,891

Conventional Planar Diaphragm motion (conceptual, obviously)

V-Planar (yes, that's what we're calling it) pleats the driver, somewhat similar to a ribbon tweeter, allowing it to move more freely across the whole surface, for improved dynamics, lower distortion and extended frequency response. 

Wow like a huge weight off my back has been released. I had been dying to know for so long what this advancement was!! Very impressive, Dan has studied the very best in loudspeaker technology I see.

Legacy Audio uses pleated ribbon tweeters for their Aeris model. http://legacyaudio.com/products/view/aeris/
I have seen these in some of the finest home theater setups on a lot of forums.

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #1,108 of 2,891
  A new review is up on Headfonics...

http://headfonics.com/2015/02/the-alpha-prime-by-mrspeakers/

Great review, though I think the alleged shouty-ness of the AD has been greatly exaggerated. In fact, I think the voicing of the AD exceeds perhaps all of the other planars I've heard, with the possible exception of the HE-500. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #1,109 of 2,891
Sold my NFB-15 today, I'm sad to see it go, but I couldn't resist the lure of a Garage 1217 Project Ember tube amp with supercharger + heater option. Will be interesting seeing how Ember sounds with my primes using a Fiio X5 for transport and DAC. Tube rolling here I come :)

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #1,110 of 2,891
  Sold my NFB-15 today, I'm sad to see it go, but I couldn't resist the lure of a Garage 1217 Project Ember tube amp with supercharger + heater option. Will be interesting seeing how Ember sounds with my primes using a Fiio X5 for transport and DAC. Tube rolling here I come :)

OOOhhhhh!  Updates on this combo please!  I've been thinking this might be a really nice pairing.  I have no basis for this, I have only heard an older project sunrise a couple of years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back