MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 31, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #991 of 2,891
Jan 31, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #993 of 2,891
  What cables /AWG are you running with your AP's ? They look quite beefy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe those are Double Helix Molecule Extreme cables. They are very beefy at 18 AWG.

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=168

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #994 of 2,891
I rearrange my BlueMonkey Dots on my Prime for the second time. There was two that Dan installed, one in the center and one at the bottom. First I tried to move the center dot to the bottom upper corner. I did not like the results, too recessed in the midrange. I then move the dot back to middle a month ago. Next I removed both dots and for a reference baseline and there were to much glare and treble.  Finally I just have the one dot at the bottom without the second dot in the middle. I like this much better and the sound balance for me was something between the Audeze and the HiFiMAN models. The soundstage for me was better with just one dot.  I am surprise by the difference that the bottom dot did. Currently here is a picture showing the current dot setup I have on my Prime.

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #995 of 2,891
Some feedback about the Primes. 

I've been going on and on about how the Alpha Dogs are not my favorite headphones and when I got the Primes I felt that I finally got what I had been hoping for. 

Initial impressions were that they were good but still not as good as other TOTL headphone setups. That initial impression has proven to be unfounded. 

Yesterday I had a mini shootout between the Primes, LCD3 (non fazor) and LCD-X. 

While the LCD3 and X had superior bass slam, the Primes were the clearest sounding headphone and had arguably superior sound-stage to its open competitors. Details were crystal clear and imaging was sharp (in a good way) and if you haven't figured out already, the word that kept coming to mind was CLARITY. Best of all, it was non-fatiguing and relatively smooth. Bass wasn't lacking but obviously not in the same copious quantities as the Audeze contenders. 

I let my partner choose between the three (she used to play music and has more discerning ears than me) and she picked the Alpha Primes. 

Her setup is Foobar -> LH Labs Lightspeed 2G USB -> Audio GD NFB 1.32 -> Black Cat Lectraline Xe Silver XLR -> Schiit Mjolnir -> Alpha Prime (stock cable) 

I've ordered a Toxic Cable Virus (hybrid copper and silver litz) XLR cable for her Primes to see if we can take it to another level of refinement. She could not be happier with her setup. 

After buying the LCD-X and LCD-3 I was going to sell the Alpha Prime (and even listed them on Head-Fi yesterday) but after the mini-shootout, I removed the ad immediately (the sale was vetoed by my partner)  :)

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #996 of 2,891
Yes the Prime is a very clear sounding headphone. I have not upgraded the cable since studios normally do not use the very high ended cables. For me moving the dots brought me another level of refinement for synergy with the equipment I have on hand.     

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #997 of 2,891
Very fascinating. Once we get bored we might try it. Your pictures are very clear and allow me to visualize the process. 

Cable differences are often not noticeable unless you A-B but sometimes it can make that last 2% to take it to subjective perfection. 

This was true with my T1. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #998 of 2,891
Rubik's Headphones!

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #999 of 2,891
Peter did most of the work to put our guide together. I will send out a link to the download in the next couple of days.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 2, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #1,000 of 2,891
  What cables /AWG are you running with your AP's ? They look quite beefy.

hey there.
In this shot:

I'm using my Double Helix Cables Molecule Extreme - my FAVE cable accompaniment for the Primes, w/ Nordost Heimdall2 right behind em.
I'll ask Peter about the AWG - 

I've tried a bunch of cables on the Prime - and also for 300 bucks the Wywires does a helluva job.

But w/ the Xtreme the sound is more open, and therefore micro and macro-dynamic detail is superbly rendered + the BASS has insane 
authority/slam but is not exxaggerated - tough to find! And the mids: I'm SO glad Peter sent me an Xtreme for the Prime - as the mids are
so lush and full-bodied, especially when I'm using the Cavalli LAu or Studio Six to drive em.

But, the cable is BEEFY for sure, and so it doesn't leave my office .

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #1,001 of 2,891
  I rearrange my BlueMonkey Dots on my Prime for the second time. There was two that Dan installed, one in the center and one at the bottom. First I tried to move the center dot to the bottom upper corner. I did not like the results, too recessed in the midrange. I then move the dot back to middle a month ago. Next I removed both dots and for a reference baseline and there were to much glare and treble.  Finally I just have the one dot at the bottom without the second dot in the middle. I like this much better and the sound balance for me was something between the Audeze and the HiFiMAN models. The soundstage for me was better with just one dot.  I am surprise by the difference that the bottom dot did. Currently here is a picture showing the current dot setup I have on my Prime.

I'm interested in this tweak. Do you use them on your Audezes and HifiMAN too?

Some feedback about the Primes. 

I've been going on and on about how the Alpha Dogs are not my favorite headphones and when I got the Primes I felt that I finally got what I had been hoping for. 

Initial impressions were that they were good but still not as good as other TOTL headphone setups. That initial impression has proven to be unfounded. 

Yesterday I had a mini shootout between the Primes, LCD3 (non fazor) and LCD-X. 

While the LCD3 and X had superior bass slam, the Primes were the clearest sounding headphone and had arguably superior sound-stage to its open competitors. Details were crystal clear and imaging was sharp (in a good way) and if you haven't figured out already, the word that kept coming to mind was CLARITY. Best of all, it was non-fatiguing and relatively smooth. Bass wasn't lacking but obviously not in the same copious quantities as the Audeze contenders. 

I let my partner choose between the three (she used to play music and has more discerning ears than me) and she picked the Alpha Primes. 

Her setup is Foobar -> LH Labs Lightspeed 2G USB -> Audio GD NFB 1.32 -> Black Cat Lectraline Xe Silver XLR -> Schiit Mjolnir -> Alpha Prime (stock cable) 

I've ordered a Toxic Cable Virus (hybrid copper and silver litz) XLR cable for her Primes to see if we can take it to another level of refinement. She could not be happier with her setup. 

After buying the LCD-X and LCD-3 I was going to sell the Alpha Prime (and even listed them on Head-Fi yesterday) but after the mini-shootout, I removed the ad immediately (the sale was vetoed by my partner)  :)

NICE! Glad you're enjoying them so much now!! I know alot of people don't believe in break-in - but I found the Prime opened up over time (usually I keep track, but unfortunately I dropped the ball on that this time) and the mids became more and more colorful (NOT-colored) and coherent.

Yes the Prime is a very clear sounding headphone. I have not upgraded the cable since studios normally do not use the very high ended cables. For me moving the dots brought me another level of refinement for synergy with the equipment I have on hand.     

now I'm VERY interested in the dots.
Where's the best spot to get em??

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #1,002 of 2,891
  I'm interested in this tweak. Do you use them on your Audezes and HifiMAN too?

NICE! Glad you're enjoying them so much now!! I know alot of people don't believe in break-in - but I found the Prime opened up over time (usually I keep track, but unfortunately I dropped the ball on that this time) and the mids became more and more colorful (NOT-colored) and coherent.

now I'm VERY interested in the dots.
Where's the best spot to get em??

Nope, do not own the Audezes or the HifiMAN but I have borrow them. Not absolutely sure if the Dots or the kit will work on them. The Primes came with extra dots.  I had in mind getting different headphones but heard the Alpha Prime at RMAF with Dan Clark past year. It was a easy decision to make.

https://mrspeakers.com/product/doggie-treats-tweaking-kit/

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #1,003 of 2,891
I look forward to that tuning guide, even though I dont really feel the need to change how they sound right now lol. Still good to have on hand.

Also just another quick cable suggestion since a bunch were mentioned above, the new Norne Solv cable is a really great match with the primes. And for it's price you get an insane amount of quality. I just got mine a couple days ago. It's on the smaller side compared to that DHC cable Mike has, but it's essentially the same materials and actually a slightly more complex design (that molecule extreme is similar to the Norne vanquish, and the Solv is a step above). It helped slightly enhance the clarity of the primes overall compared to the stock cable. Highly recommend it :)

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #1,004 of 2,891
I found that messing around with dots and treats in the Alpha Prime made things worse not better.  I prefer the tuning that MrSpeakers created prior to shipping.  Nearly perfect response across the audible spectrum to these ears.

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #1,005 of 2,891
  I found that messing around with dots and treats in the Alpha Prime made things worse not better.  I prefer the tuning that MrSpeakers created prior to shipping.  Nearly perfect response across the audible spectrum to these ears.

Yea thats why i dont feel any need to mess with things right now. I just know one day in the future i might get curious or maybe even slightly worn out by how they sound stock, and just use the tuning guide to change them up a bit. Could be a cool way to kinda refresh their sound, and then just go back to stock after that lol. If you think about it, it's a cool cheap and easy way to avoid the effect of getting too used to the sound of a high end headphone, which ultimately can lead to just looking for something else/better because we got too used the sound of the ones we use. I know its not true for all, but knowing myself this happens sometimes. It's how I went from denon d5000 level headphones, to Alpha Prime level headphones lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back