MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 24, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #962 of 2,891
  @Julz

If you suspect a problem or incompatibility with the amp's headphone output, then you can try running the headphone straight off the speaker outputs.  You will need an adapter cable to do this, but it will avoid any dedicated "headphone circuitry" that may be having a negative effect. Check forum postings to see if other Leben owners run their headphones directly off speaker outputs.

Hi Murray,

Thanks for your help.
I don't think the issue comes from the Amp output as other headphones work great with it it (I've tried 4 days ago a Sennheiser 650 and it worked great).
Anyway thanks for your tip 

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #963 of 2,891
  I didn't mean to chase you off the CS300 thread like that.  It just gets really confusing in that thread when people start discussing the CS600 which is a totally different amp with different tubes.
I understand you are having a problem and just want help figuring it out.

I *just* sold my CS300XS a couple weeks ago.  It drove the Alpha Prime fine.  Leben taps the headphone off the speaker outputs, no "dedicated circuitry" beyond the resistors.  Don't bother with speaker taps, you don't need them.  There should be no incompatibility with the headphone output if everything is working as it should.

I suspect your CS600 has issues.  Do you have different tubes you can try?  Perhaps the power tubes are on their way out.

Does your Leben drive speakers correctly? 

Hi Levlhed,

Thanks for your post and I understand for the threat diversion, no worries.
This is such a good news that you drove the AP fine with your CS300 and there is no incompatibility with Leben because I really love those headphone and would have been mad/sad to change.

I really think my issue comes from this particular unit for 2 reason (to be confirmed of course) :
1/ As said to Murray, I've tested a Sen HD650 no latter than 4 days ago on my Leben and it worked perfectly (idem for my Marshall Major)
2/ The sound of this AP unit is really weird with no bass / sub bass and a lot of crackle/saturation when I push the volume up as if the speakers inside have been damaged.

Otherwise I confirm the Leben drives my Proac just fine (right now playing Mozart...) and at pretty high volume when required.
FYI the Amp is 4 months old and I've just put a month ago a new quad of NOS reflector 6N3Ce tubes which are sait to be very good on the CS600 (cf. Jeff Day and other people).

I have sent a mail to MrSpeakers Europe and now wait for their feedback on the return process.
I'll keep you posted as soon as my unit has been changed.

Thanks all for your help.

Julien

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #964 of 2,891
 I didn't mean to chase you off the CS300 thread like that.  It just gets really confusing in that thread when people start discussing the CS600 which is a totally different amp with different tubes.
I understand you are having a problem and just want help figuring it out.

I *just* sold my CS300XS a couple weeks ago.  It drove the Alpha Prime fine.  Leben taps the headphone off the speaker outputs, no "dedicated circuitry" beyond the resistors.  Don't bother with speaker taps, you don't need them.  There should be no incompatibility with the headphone output if everything is working as it should.

I suspect your CS600 has issues.  Do you have different tubes you can try?  Perhaps the power tubes are on their way out.

Does your Leben drive speakers correctly? 

Hi Levlhed,

Thanks for your post and I understand for the threat diversion, no worries.
This is such a good news that you drove the AP fine with your CS300 and there is no incompatibility with Leben because I really love those headphone and would have been mad/sad to change.

I really think my issue comes from this particular unit for 2 reason (to be confirmed of course) :
1/ As said to Murray, I've tested a Sen HD650 no latter than 4 days ago on my Leben and it worked perfectly (idem for my Marshall Major)
2/ The sound of this AP unit is really weird with no bass / sub bass and a lot of crackle/saturation when I push the volume up as if the speakers inside have been damaged.

Otherwise I confirm the Leben drives my Proac just fine (right now playing Mozart...) and at pretty high volume when required.
FYI the Amp is 4 month old and I've just put a month ago a new quad of NOS reflector 6N3Ce tubes which are sait to be very good on the CS600 (cf. Jeff Day and other people).

I have sent a mail to MrSpeakers Europe and now wait for their feedback on the return process.
I'll keep you posted as soon as my unit has been changed.

Thanks all for your help.

Julien

Be aware that that HD650 are high impedance headphones while AP are low impedance headphones so that could be the reason for your problem

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #965 of 2,891
Be aware that that HD650 are high impedance headphones while AP are low impedance headphones so that could be the reason for your problem

I understand that it might be the reason why the AP doesn't work on my system.

Neverthelss as the Leben CS600 has more power than the Leben CS300 and since Levlhed made the AP work properly on its CS300, I doubt it. I'm waiting for Leben's feedback on the Headphone output power.

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #966 of 2,891
  I understand that it might be the reason why the AP doesn't work on my system.

Neverthelss as the Leben CS600 has more power than the Leben CS300 and since Levlhed made the AP work properly on its CS300, I doubt it. I'm waiting for Leben's feedback on the Headphone output power.

It will be a good investment to purchase a cable like this:

You can get it with an XLR or a SE connector.  IMO this is the best way to get the best performance out you speaker amp.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #968 of 2,891
  Again, those cables are not needed at all with this amp.  In fact they will probably damage his Leben.  Please stop suggesting this to him.

First off:   I suggest  what I think may help to who I want - if everything else has not.  

He can use something as simple as the HiFiman box or he can use some resisters.  The amp will not be damaged.  

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #969 of 2,891
Julian, please take this to PM with me or email with your reseller and let us sort this out. Working this issue in parallel in multiple places is not going to help us figure it out.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 24, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #971 of 2,891
Hello, thinking about using the Primes with Meier Corda Airetta, I listen to classical and like large orchestral. Also is the fit of the Primes a non-issue for most people?

Thanks Bob

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #972 of 2,891
Hey everyone,

Have many people here had experience with MrSpeakers-Europe?
I am planning to order the Alpha Primes next month and it will be a lot cheaper ordering from Europe to the UK as no import fees.
MrSpeakers USA seems to provide the best customer service though, so I am tempted to order direct from the USA even if it will cost me more money.

Any opinions on ordering from Europe compared to importing would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #973 of 2,891
  Hey everyone,

Have many people here had experience with MrSpeakers-Europe?
I am planning to order the Alpha Primes next month and it will be a lot cheaper ordering from Europe to the UK as no import fees.
MrSpeakers USA seems to provide the best customer service though, so I am tempted to order direct from the USA even if it will cost me more money.

Any opinions on ordering from Europe compared to importing would be greatly appreciated.

I've bought primes and mad dogs from Mrspeakers Europe, you should be ok.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #974 of 2,891
That is not MrSpeakers Europe, it's a reseller.  I just want to make it clear they're not part of our company.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 25, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #975 of 2,891
  I've bought primes and mad dogs from Mrspeakers Europe, you should be ok.

That is not MrSpeakers Europe, it's a reseller.  I just want to make it clear they're not part of our company.

Thank you @M-83 and @mrspeakers.
I am unbelievably excited to be purchasing these headphones.
I will be using them with a Cayin C5 amp and the HRT microstreamer.
I am looking forward to posting impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back