MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 5, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #826 of 2,891

Since i can't mod headphones,i mod the stand so i don't have to adjust the risers or unplug the cables.Currently ampless (sold my e12) so only listening straight out from DX90 on high gain.Ima gonna have an audition with  Cayin C5 and Micro iDSD sometime this week.

I can recommend a Cayin C5 highly, I've just got one with a Fiio X5. Brilliant for portable listening.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #827 of 2,891
Hey Reddog,

Just to let you know, I'm thoroughly delighted with my Cayin C5 for portable Alpha Prime listening. Using High Gain I can't listen past 4.5-5 on volume its pretty loud.  There is a lovely openness to the sound, and actually going back to my NFB-15 although the sound with a desktop amp is superior, I'm now finding that I prefer the slightly more sparkly sound that my Fiio X5-Cayin C5 combo has. So, I'm thinking of selling my 10 week old Mad Dogs and NFB-15, with a view to using the money to get a slightly warmer desktop setup. I feel maybe the nfb-15-alpha prime combo is a touch too dark. Whereas my aKG K550s just killed my ears after 10 mins even without any amping,

I can not take my APs on holiday with me using X5 & C5 its an awesome portable setup. Recommended.

Best rgds

Thanks for the information, I might have to get a Cayin C5, so I can get the best out of a my portable rig. Right now I have a fiio e12, which does a fair job, sometimes the sound is tad congested.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #828 of 2,891
Thanks for the information, I might have to get a Cayin C5, so I can get the best out of a my portable rig. Right now I have a fiio e12, which does a fair job, sometimes the sound is tad congested.

You're welcome. I'm glad I didn't go for the Fiio E12 (although in fairness I haven't heard it) - the Cayin C5 has barely had 2 hours use and I'm already impressed.

All I need to do now is start looking at a desktop (possibly tube hybrid?) solution to replace my NFB-15 (no sabre dad wanted tho) that will liven up my alpha primes

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #829 of 2,891
You're welcome. I'm glad I didn't go for the Fiio E12 (although in fairness I haven't heard it) - the Cayin C5 has barely had 2 hours use and I'm already impressed.

All I need to do now is start looking at a desktop (possibly tube hybrid?) solution to replace my NFB-15 (no sabre dad wanted tho) that will liven up my alpha primes

A good hybrid amp for the Alpha Prime's is Schiit Audio's Lyr 2. The lyr2, with good tubes makes the Prime's sing like a muse of fire..

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #831 of 2,891
You guys are missing a great option for desktop use that is wayyyyyyyyyyy less expensive than the Ragnarok. 

Vintage amps...............and there are plenty available for prices lower than a Lyr that will blow you away with how good they drive an ortho.  When I auditioned the Alpha Dog I had my Pioneer Spec system driving them............incredible. 

So no need for a $1500 amp...............when you can put something like this driving them and if you want to hook up speakers you can do that as well.

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #832 of 2,891
  You guys are missing a great option for desktop use that is wayyyyyyyyyyy less expensive than the Ragnarok. 

Vintage amps...............and there are plenty available for prices lower than a Lyr that will blow you away with how good they drive an ortho.  When I auditioned the Alpha Dog I had my Pioneer Spec system driving them............incredible. 

So no need for a $1500 amp...............when you can put something like this driving them and if you want to hook up speakers you can do that as well.

That's a gorgeous setup. The only thing stopping me from going vintage it's that I have limited space, really I only have a bedside table to keep an amp asked stand on . Otherwise id have gone vintage a while back.

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #833 of 2,891
I must agree my Dad's old pioneer Reciever runs my Alpha Prime's pretty darn well, in single-ended 1/4 . However I prefer the Prime's in balanced mode, but a vintage Reciever is great alternative for those who would rather spend more money on obtaining headphones, than on expensive amps and dacs. With that said and done, I am really happy I got the Ragnarok and how it drives the Prime's, in balanced mode.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #834 of 2,891
I must agree my Dad's old pioneer Reciever runs my Alpha Prime's pretty darn well, in single-ended 1/4 . However I prefer the Prime's in balanced mode, but a vintage Reciever is great alternative for those who would rather spend more money on obtaining headphones, than on expensive amps and dacs. With that said and done, I am really happy I got the Ragnarok and how it drives the Prime's, in balanced mode.

Well, there's always the speaker taps out of vintage stuff as well.

But yeah- the Rag is still on my radar.  I'm pretty sure my Benchmark DAC is up to the task.

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #835 of 2,891
My experience with the Lyr 2 and Alpha Primes are iffy. Depends on the tube. The Golden Lions, which usually sound great with planars, makes the Alpha Prime sound a tad boring (and a little bit bright.) Soloist does really well with the Primes though.

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #837 of 2,891
Thanks Matt! haha, I think I'm going to spend an extra $400 :) It'd be interesting to do a comparison of some of the other high end headphones. What I'm looking for is the most opened sounded closed headphones. I think the alpha primes are definitely on top of the list. Another ones the Beyerdynamic T 5 p's, 

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #839 of 2,891
What does adjusting the risers negatively do?

Nothing he just wanted his headphones to fit on the stand without the cables bending too much. I made my own headphone stand I will show pics later but it is angled to fit the ear pads too.:)

Btw you can't go wrong with the AP or AD when it comes to most open sounding closed headphones. There really aren't many other options around the price point. The new Audeze EL-8 closed back is coming out in April but there are no impressions on the sound so far. I would bet money it is not going to sound better than the AP because it wasn't intended to replace the Audeze LCD line which is still priced higher and isn't meant to be portable or slimmer in form factor.

Here's a list of best closed backs I have heard: Alpha Dogs/AP, ZMF x Vibro, TH900(didn't like TH600 hollow mids), LFF paradox slant, and ATH-W3000ANV, Denon D7000

I still think the Audeze LCD-XC is too heavy and expensive to be on the list but the sound is warm-neutral with powerful bass and with good control(but neutral)

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #840 of 2,891
Haha, that's what he's doing duh! You think the Alpha Prime is a lot better than the Alpha Dog. Is it a right away notice the difference or subtle? From what I'm hearing people didn't think it could get any better and it just did. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back