MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 1, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #436 of 2,891
Yes. I know when the seal is correct. It's just all the messing around trying to get it perfect that annoys me. There's nothing wrong with the pads. I had exactly the same issues with my Alpha Dogs.

Can anybody with glasses comment as to whether they can keep their glasses on when using the AP and still get an adequate seal ? Thanks!

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #437 of 2,891
Can anybody with glasses comment as to whether they can keep their glasses on when using the AP and still get an adequate seal ? Thanks!

Well its not the most comfortable (as with any circumaural) but it works just fine. If you have glasses that have thick arms like Rayban Wayfarers its less comfortable than thin wire arms like Rayban Aviators. The pads are soft enough to not bee too much of a problem

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #439 of 2,891
after some messing around I think I just about got the fit just right. I learned a few things along the way, and it applies mainly for my head, but I'm sure this will useful regardless.

Dont extend the risers too far in an attempt to loosen the angle of the cups to create a better fit, just as you should not over shorten them. For me I found that you have to loosen them just to the point where any more and the headband wont be supporting the weight (because at that point the cups will slide lower on your face and the top of your ears will touch the inside). Also definitely rotate the pads back as Dan suggested, there is a certain sweet spot to hit. Easy way to find it is simply put them on your head, and with your thumbs find where your jaw-line is near the ear pad, and use your thumb as a marker when you take off the pad. Your thumb should be near the back corner of the pad to create the proper seal, as this is the thickest part of the whole pad, and since its a corner it nicely fills in that jaw-line gap. Rotate too far back and your ears wont fit right inside the cups, and rotate too far forward and the seal wont be right near your jaw-line. Also, and this is the more confusing sounding part, try not to angle the cup upwards (like the shape it makes when on the stand, the "V") too much because the weight of the headphones will start pressing too much on the pads and you'll feel more pressure as a result (could be desirable though), if you instead let the cup just settle in whatever angle it wants (least resistance) you will have a much more even spread of the pressure, you'll notice the difference right away.

Follow those tips, and give some time for the pads to soften up (I assume, still pretty fresh for me since its only been a few days), and you should be able to at least get pretty close to a good fit and seal with only minor adjustments to make from there.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #440 of 2,891
after some messing around I think I just about got the fit just right. I learned a few things along the way, and it applies mainly for my head, but I'm sure this will useful regardless.

Dont extend the risers too far in an attempt to loosen the angle of the cups to create a better fit, just as you should not over shorten them. For me I found that you have to loosen them just to the point where any more and the headband wont be supporting the weight (because at that point the cups will slide lower on your face and the top of your ears will touch the inside). Also definitely rotate the pads back as Dan suggested, there is a certain sweet spot to hit. Easy way to find it is simply put them on your head, and with your thumbs find where your jaw-line is near the ear pad, and use your thumb as a marker when you take off the pad. Your thumb should be near the back corner of the pad to create the proper seal, as this is the thickest part of the whole pad, and since its a corner it nicely fills in that jaw-line gap. Rotate too far back and your ears wont fit right inside the cups, and rotate too far forward and the seal wont be right near your jaw-line. Also, and this is the more confusing sounding part, try not to angle the cup upwards (like the shape it makes when on the stand, the "V") too much because the weight of the headphones will start pressing too much on the pads and you'll feel more pressure as a result (could be desirable though), if you instead let the cup just settle in whatever angle it wants (least resistance) you will have a much more even spread of the pressure, you'll notice the difference right away.

Follow those tips, and give some time for the pads to soften up (I assume, still pretty fresh for me since its only been a few days), and you should be able to at least get pretty close to a good fit and seal with only minor adjustments to make from there.

Yep. Dan explained it to me. It's all there in the instructions that I neglected to read. I'm happy that I learned how to wear them properly becuase I'm pretty sure I'd have ended up breaking them with all the messing around I was doing.

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #442 of 2,891

I have had no problem with glasses, and have a good, solid seal.

Dont extend the risers too far in an attempt to loosen the angle of the cups to create a better fit, just as you should not over shorten them.

When I first had the Alphas, I had no seal at all.  The biggest problem I had was having them on too tight.

Should be a good choice. I had to talk myself out of buying a DAC 2.

All you need to do now is spend $300-$800 on a fancy cable and you're done :wink:

Oh you! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #443 of 2,891
Has anyone tried putting some new style Audeze pads on the Alpha Primes? I am certain they'd fit but was hoping to get someone who has tried it or willing to try it to see if it changes the sound much.

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #445 of 2,891
We are a strange bunch of people.  Well, a lot of us are, anyway.

I just put the Benchmark DAC-1 into my system.  Not much a difference if any at all with my Grado's.  The 400i's maybe had a little more air.  But the Primes showed me the whopping day and night difference.  Which is pretty much more detail in the midrange, and more realistic decay with percussion.

Only a truly addicted personality would shell out (an insanely low price, tbh) for such minute differences.  Oh, I'm thrilled.  Excited enough that I might not sleep well tonight.  But at the same time I'm aware that for the most part, it's not a HUGE difference.  Except to me.  Because I'm freaking nuts!

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #446 of 2,891

How can we get updates about the ADs have already been sent for upgrades? Thank you! 

Right now I am waiting for some parts to be laser etched for the upgrades. Hopefully they all should be completed by the end of next week on the production end. It may take Dan some time to tune them all. He does all of the tuning on the Primes by himself. (Along with way too many other things to list)  

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #447 of 2,891
We are a strange bunch of people.  Well, a lot of us are, anyway.

I just put the Benchmark DAC-1 into my system.  Not much a difference if any at all with my Grado's.  The 400i's maybe had a little more air.  But the Primes showed me the whopping day and night difference.  Which is pretty much more detail in the midrange, and more realistic decay with percussion.

Only a truly addicted personality would shell out (an insanely low price, tbh) for such minute differences.  Oh, I'm thrilled.  Excited enough that I might not sleep well tonight.  But at the same time I'm aware that for the most part, it's not a HUGE difference.  Except to me.  Because I'm freaking nuts!

You are at least in good company here - a good bunch of us are nuts I'm roughly the same way.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #448 of 2,891
Finally got done with my custom cables. Loving the black on black. Thought about going black and silver to my schiit stack.. oh well maybe I'll do that next time. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #449 of 2,891
  Right now I am waiting for some parts to be laser etched for the upgrades. Hopefully they all should be completed by the end of next week on the production end. It may take Dan some time to tune them all. He does all of the tuning on the Primes by himself. (Along with way too many other things to list)  

Thanks for updates!

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #450 of 2,891
Is it normal for right above where the leather strap connects, where the plastic meets the rubber of the headband, for that area to appear as if it's slightly pulling out? it appears theres like two pins that attach the main headband, to the riser plastic piece, and on mine its slightly bent outward so I can see those pins. It seems like its sturdy and in place, but it also affects the angle of the whole ear cups slightly, and I'm wondering if this might be the cause of my fit issues, because the ear cups right now just aren't able to swivel enough, seemingly, to put even pressure (yes, I have angled the pads, and loosened the risers, every combination you can think of). after a couple hours it gets more even, but no matter what it just seems like the cups want to angle like a millimeter or so more for my head. and I noticed on the other pictures that this connection at the headband and strap and riser dont pull out as much as on mine. This all could mean nothing and have no impact on my comfort, but I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back