MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 18, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #242 of 2,891
"Hi there. Your recent order on MrSpeakers has been completed. Your order details are shown below for your reference:"

Oh my.  The wait is almost over!

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #244 of 2,891
  "Hi there. Your recent order on MrSpeakers has been completed. Your order details are shown below for your reference:"

@swspiers - You did the upgrade, correct?  About how long did it take, from your AD's leaving home to returning home?  I'm just trying to prep for the wait.....

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #246 of 2,891

@swspiers - You did the upgrade, correct?  About how long did it take, from your AD's leaving home to returning home?  I'm just trying to prep for the wait.....

One week.  I mailed them on Saturday the 8th.  Counting the weekend and Veterans day, this is the usual above and beyond service from Dan that keeps me going back.

We should probably not expect this kind of speed all the time.  But when he over delivers, he does it well!

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #247 of 2,891
One week.  I mailed them on Saturday the 8th.  Counting the weekend and Veterans day, this is the usual above and beyond service from Dan that keeps me going back.

We should probably not expect this kind of speed all the time.  But when he over delivers, he does it well!

I started with dog pad mad dogs and have continued to upgrade. I thought I was done with the alpha. Had to go for the Primes. I knew they'd be good, and it was my only chance to hear them in the short term save for driving to @mikemercer 's place and barging in on him…

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #248 of 2,891

Cool I sent my headphones in on Saturday Nov 8th as well. I hope I will be notified too.

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #249 of 2,891

I started with dog pad mad dogs and have continued to upgrade. I thought I was done with the alpha. Had to go for the Primes. I knew they'd be good, and it was my only chance to hear them in the short term save for driving to @mikemercer 's place and barging in on him…

Nobody to answer the door at Mike's pad.....he's always sleeping.......listening to headphones while he sleeps!

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #250 of 2,891
  @ saxelrod92

I don't have any experience with lcd-2. But I have been listening to both Alpha Prime and lcd-3 (pre-fazor) in last few days. I will probably post some notes of my experiences with them compared to each other during the Thanksgiving break next week . Here are some summative thoughts.

They are quite different hps. The lcd-3 has a fuller, warmer, thicker sound. Just like many have described, the lcd-3 has magic mids, warm, lush and intimate. It gives a magnificent presentation of slowly to moderately paced operas and classical singing. As such, the lcd-3 is in poor synergy with my Little Dot Mk iii tube amp which makes the sounds too thick and mellow, lacking resolution and speed. The lcd-3 seems to have a rosy filter (or 'veil') which makes some elements sound good but for large orchestra works and fast music (e.g., some songs by Elton John) where voice or instrument separation is important, the lcd-3 shows serious weaknesses.

In comparison, the AP exceeds in overall dynamics and high resolution over the full frequency spectrum. The bass is tight, well-defined and impactful while the highs are more extended without being harsh. Individual sound elements were well separated, each with its natural, accurate timbre and texture (with a slight touch of sweetness, perhaps). It appears to have a darker dark background with each sound presented in great clarity. In my last post, I mentioned that listening to the AP is like sitting in a studio with the sound sources very close while listening to the lcd-3 may be like sitting in the middle rows of a music hall (cf. Ken Rockwell's review of the lcd-3; but this does not describe well the intimate feeling of voices in some recordings I have listened to with the lcd-3).

In short, the lcd-3 can do wonderful things with some music sources but the AP is overall a more versatile, capable tool for most genres due to its high speed, resolution and lack of obvious coloration.

Just my 2 cents. I am also waiting for the views from some veteran head-fiers on this subject. Cheers.

very helpful! Thank you :)

I have heard the fazor fixes some of those elements you talk about in the lcd-3 (those same issues are in the lcd-2 but more thick, and congested), but I dont think it will do it nearly as much as the AP seems to do overall in regards to resolution, clarity, speed, slam, etc. from what I'm reading. I too would love to hear from some veteran members too on this, but overall it really does seem like I might be going with the AP in the end lol. I dont have a dead quiet room (and my laptop has a sightly noisey fan depending on what I run) so having a closed back for that quiet background, that can still compete strongly against the rest of the planar flagships, is a pretty strong sell for me.

Nov 19, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #251 of 2,891
I've got a nice delivery today. Alpha Prime, Lyr 2 and Bifrost Uber.
First impressions are very good and it will be a very short night of sleep.

AP vs HD 595
AP: more detail and clearer sounding, better separation, better bass impact
HD 595: more comfortable but probably many headphones are less comfortable

Will post more detailed info after the weekend.

Nov 19, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #252 of 2,891

Got the Alpha Prime today, and been listening for a few hours.  Using a couple of my better DHC cables....some first impressions.....I feel like I am sitting further away from the stage/musicians, the soundstage is more expansive, but I don't feel it is a wide as I was expecting, even with my cable that effectively widens the soundstage on the Alpha Dogs.  Music seems to be coming from a stage that is closer together, I don't feel that the soundstage extends past my shoulders on the side, more like half way between my ears and shoulders.  I have heard a couple tracks where the vocals seem to be coming from each ear at the same time, I am using crossfeed with jRiver MC20, so that could be part of the reason, but vocals are more forward and intimate on the Alpha Dogs, with this same cable.  Imaging seems fine, but the stage also does not sound as deep.  Sound is smooth and refined, treble is very good, but I don't hear the cymbals equally as I do on the Alpha Dogs.  These are just a few differences I am noticing initially, things may change after more time.  They are surprisingly good, just a few things different than what I was expecting!

Nov 19, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #253 of 2,891

Got the Alpha Prime today, and been listening for a few hours.  Using a couple of my better DHC cables....some first impressions.....I feel like I am sitting further away from the stage/musicians, the soundstage is more expansive, but I don't feel it is a wide as I was expecting, even with my cable that effectively widens the soundstage on the Alpha Dogs.  Music seems to be coming from a stage that is closer together, I don't feel that the soundstage extends past my shoulders on the side, more like half way between my ears and shoulders.  I have heard a couple tracks where the vocals seem to be coming from each ear at the same time, I am using crossfeed with jRiver MC20, so that could be part of the reason, but vocals are more forward and intimate on the Alpha Dogs, with this same cable.  Imaging seems fine, but the stage also does not sound as deep.  Sound is smooth and refined, treble is very good, but I don't hear the cymbals equally as I do on the Alpha Dogs.  These are just a few differences I am noticing initially, things may change after more time.  They are surprisingly good, just a few things different than what I was expecting!

Those are also my first impressions, especially on the soundstage.

Nov 19, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #254 of 2,891

Those are also my first impressions, especially on the soundstage.

I'm finding that cymbals are more withdrawn, also a lot of fine details that I was hearing with the Alpha Dogs with this same cable are more distant or disappeared.  Example, the crickets and swamp sounds in the background of Hayley Westernra, "Shenandoah", would those things be a sign of better treble, I don't think so!  I have a few other cables to try, but I have tried two of the best for detail and soundstage already!

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #255 of 2,891

I'm finding that cymbals are more withdrawn, also a lot of fine details that I was hearing with the Alpha Dogs with this same cable are more distant or disappeared.  Example, the crickets and swamp sounds in the background of Hayley Westernra, "Shenandoah", would those things be a sign of better treble, I don't think so!  I have a few other cables to try, but I have tried two of the best for detail and soundstage already!

I had my hesitations on the upgrade mostly because of the vocals. The AD images vocals perfectly and has more intimacy. The AP seemed cleaner around all the edges but I really need to hear it again because I felt that they also picked up more background noise on tracks which is a sign that they are more detailed but might not be suitable for older recordings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back