MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 11, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #196 of 2,891

Thanks for the replies. Have gone through a lot of phones including HD800 and Stax02Mk1. The LCD2.1 has always been one of the most fun phones I have owned, I am a fan of the Audeze house sound. Now need closed phones, was considering the AP as much cheaper, but have sourced a great condition XC for the same price. Listen to everything, comfort/weight not an issue as will use them in a reclined position with head rest.

Where are you located in Sydney? You're more than welcome to hear my setup...

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #197 of 2,891
I've been listening to the Alpha Dogs now for about 5 days. They break in initially very quick, in about an hour or so they start sounding good. They continue to break in, and sound great now.  The comfort is very good, despite the clamping force which is strong. 

I have been listening with the Fostex HP-A4 mostly.  The Fostex is not really powerful enough to bring out the best in them though.  

I just got a Grace M920 to play with today.  And the difference between that and the Fostex is huge.  One of the biggest differences I have heard in audio actually.  It lends power, detail and control to the Prime.  It's a completely different animal on this amp.  It's obvious that the Grace is a world-class performer, even without much break in.  

So, I guess, surprise!,  the Alpha Prime needs a really good amp to bring out it's best qualities.  

Tonally, on the Fostex the Primes sound warm, rich, resonant, and a bit rolled off  in the treble.   On the Grace, they sound clear, airy, slightly treble focused, super detailed, and a bit lean.  Of course, once the Grace has some time to warm up, it will probably fill out a lot.  I just wanted to point out the chameleon nature of the Primes so far, which I think speaks highly of their ability to show what's upstream, and what's hidden in the bits.

UPDATE: 24 hours later, and the Grace has broken in considerably, sound is now more neutral and clean with just a bit of warmth.  Good stuff!

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #198 of 2,891
Quick update, after some long listening sessions, I have settled on one dot per side for a perfectly balanced setup using V200 V800 setup. Two dots was too much on what is already a warmish setup. Made it too dark and stale. May even revert back to no dots later out of curiosity...

So far loving it! Getting lost in the music

Laptop > M2Tech HiFace2 via WASAPI > V800 > V200 > Alpha Primes = Happy Days!

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #199 of 2,891
I know that the people at LHLabs were very impressed by the Alpha Primes they used to demo their upcoming Geek Pulse X and linear power supply. Part of that was no doubt due to the closed-back design (open backs under show conditions can be hard), however they were meant to be extended, warm, detailed and enjoyable.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #200 of 2,891
Hi guys.

If  I were to use AP with a battery-powered Amplifier (due to the 'environment' I live in when I'm at work),what would be the best (portable) amp for the job and would it be powerful enough to do justice to this gem?

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #201 of 2,891
  Hi guys.

If  I were to use AP with a battery-powered Amplifier (due to the 'environment' I live in when I'm at work),what would be the best (portable) amp for the job and would it be powerful enough to do justice to this gem?

I've had pretty happy results with my C421 (should be pretty similar to the C5). As long as you stay in sane listening volumes, it seems to work just dandy.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #202 of 2,891
Just received my Primes!!  
atsmile.gif

Some pictures of the setup I run;
   Astell & Kern 100 II
   Centrance HiFi M8 LX
   Custom Fiber cable by Sys Concept is Canada
   Alpha Prime Balanced XLR Cable + 3.5mm Cable (extra order)

1ste Update: It is amazing but my Samsung Galaxy S5 can push these to a really loud volume and good quality.
2de Update: The AK100 II also has more then enough power to push the Alpha Prime.

Note: It is quite possible that for the extended base for example the Centrance M8 will add a lot, to be checked.

As soon as I get a bit of hours in I'll post a bit more feedback.

A super happy and content,

CasperBxl

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #203 of 2,891
  Hi guys.

I'm running them with the Centrance M8 LX (as above) for home and in the office.

I asked Dan (MrSpeakers) for a suggestion and he suggested, among others, the Centrance M8.
To my experience, and also for that reason, the M8 pushes about anything. Including the Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm i have.

It also has a 3.5mm jack, a 6mm and an XLR.
As you can find on YouTube, Jude from HeadFi and Tyll from Innerfidelity also use the M8.

Hope it can serve,

Casper

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #205 of 2,891
thank you guys.. look like I should head out to the sea and get in the can then..

Dont forget ebay .... Got my Centrance on ebay (and there are more). They where test units, completely and perfectly repackaged and resealed.
(it was NOT centrance selling these LINK TO ebay page)

But be sure the vendor has good marks.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #206 of 2,891
The Alpha Primes are in my hands, just arrived today! They come in a nice package, not over the top like the PM-1's but I would rather spend the money on the headphones then a fancy wooden box anyway! Nothing against Oppo for this however. These Alpha Primes are extremely gorgeous and well built, when you first put them on you will notice how comfortable these things are instantly. I went with the 3.5mm jack on these ones to get me started, will most likely invest in the larger one very soon for use with my home system. The cable is well built, not one of those cables that will tangle and twist, thumbs up on that. I just plugged them into my Cypher Labs Therom 720 DAC/AMP and am listening to some EDM with lots of female vocals. These are AIFF files and are playing Crystal clear out of my MacBook Air into the Therom and into the Alphas. I know there will be some break in time but wow, out of the box the vocals are simply amazing! So perfect they sound, they are not to far forward or to far back, they just seem to be heard at the perfect spot, blended with the instruments. I am so pleased at the moment with this purchase! The bass OMG, I just put on one of my favourite bass tracks which is "Tracking Treasure Down Revisited feat. Molly Bancroft (Gabriel & Dresden ON Remix)", the beginning starts off with some bass sounds that are simply not heard with other headphones I own. Then at 5minutes in there is an amazing bass frequency in this track that the Alpha Primes handled with ease! Sounded like I was listening to my KEF LS 50's but in a headphone! They sound so open for a closed can, roomy if I can say that. Mr. Speakers claim that they hand tune the highs on each and every pair of Alpha Prime's for smoother response using 0,1,2, or 3 Blue Monkey Dots directly affixed to the driver, under the ear pad. They also include 4 additional dots should you want to tweak this further, In my opinion for what I am listening to they have nailed this, I do not see me needing to tweak this anytime soon if ever. There are points in some of my music were other headphones sound a little distorted, I have not yet heard any of this from these, it seems to play all the frequencies just superbly. 

Well done Dan, these may be the best cans I have ever owned or will ever own! WOW! Already a huge fan!

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #210 of 2,891
Any opinions on which Astell & Kern DAPs will power the Primes well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back