MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 26, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #2,281 of 2,891
The newer versions of the alpha primes anyways, are more resolving to bad recordings, however they are still revealing as hell; maybe a bit more refines. They have more soundstage, better imaging, and better bass response too. The Dogs had too much siblance for me; sometimes felt a bit stale and unnatural. Having both i cant merit the 300 dollar difference, the differences arent really dramatic, just enough to satisfy me tho. But if you can find them used for the same cost as dogs,by all means

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #2,282 of 2,891
It's one of the greatest deals in audio, IMHO. I got the upgrade back when it was first announced way back...when was that?

Anyway, no regrets!

Thanks so much for the info, I am working toward that upgrade as we speak.

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #2,283 of 2,891
The newer versions of the alpha primes anyways, are more resolving to bad recordings, however they are still revealing as hell; maybe a bit more refines. They have more soundstage, better imaging, and better bass response too. The Dogs had too much siblance for me; sometimes felt a bit stale and unnatural. Having both i cant merit the 300 dollar difference, the differences arent really dramatic, just enough to satisfy me tho. But if you can find them used for the same cost as dogs,by all means

Thanks so much, that is excellent information as well. I do believe I am on my way to buying some Dogs that I will have upgraded to Primes. I already researched connectors a while back and I have in mind several types of cables i will build for them. I will start with balanced because I have an amp I want to try out in that mode. I may have to do some internal tweaking on the amp but it should be worth it.

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #2,284 of 2,891
Thanks so much, that is excellent information as well. I do believe I am on my way to buying some Dogs that I will have upgraded to Primes. I already researched connectors a while back and I have in mind several types of cables i will build for them. I will start with balanced because I have an amp I want to try out in that mode. I may have to do some internal tweaking on the amp but it should be worth it.

They arent picky about amps. Ran them on Magni, E12, and Origen. They all sounded great! They need the Powaaar tho cause they are planars

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #2,285 of 2,891
They arent picky about amps. Ran them on Magni, E12, and Origen. They all sounded great! They need the Powaaar tho cause they are planars

I have three amps with a fourth on the way so I should be fine. One of these days I want to get a Microzotl 2 and hope to check one out the next time I am in DC.  I own T50RP mods so I would think they are pretty similar and my son drives his Primes with an Oppo HA-2. I have a Valhalla 2 as my main amp.

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,286 of 2,891
I am considering buying some Alpha Dogs and having them upgraded to Alpha Prime. Has anyone done that and were you pleased with the difference in sound? The $200 upgrade seems reasonable since it includes pads and head strap. Any thoughts on whether this is worth the effort?

I'm in the same boat as you. Thinking about buying a used Alpha Dogs and upgrading them. But MrSpeakers has asked for a sale receipt and I'm not sure if the classified owners are having one. Is that mandatory to send a sale receipt? Thanks!

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #2,287 of 2,891

I am considering buying some Alpha Dogs and having them upgraded to Alpha Prime. Has anyone done that and were you pleased with the difference in sound? The $200 upgrade seems reasonable since it includes pads and head strap. Any thoughts on whether this is worth the effort?

I'm in the same boat as you. Thinking about buying a used Alpha Dogs and upgrading them. But MrSpeakers has asked for a sale receipt and I'm not sure if the classified owners are having one. Is that mandatory to send a sale receipt? Thanks!

I had not read that far and I am certainly not the original owner. Once my headphones arrive I will see if there is any wiggle room on that policy. I know they do not mention precisely what they do on the inside of the headphones, for the $199.99 you get new pads and head strap but after that they do not say a lot.

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #2,288 of 2,891

My understanding is that the sales receipt they're after is the receipt for the upgrade, so they can quickly work out who's headphones they are? That's what I included, at least.

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #2,289 of 2,891
  My understanding is that the sales receipt they're after is the receipt for the upgrade, so they can quickly work out who's headphones they are? That's what I included, at least.

I am sure they have their reasons. It is a good deal all around, a nice upgrade and any time you end up in a production situation there can be specialized product left over. This is something you rarely see from big companies and I am impressed with the offer.

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #2,290 of 2,891
  I am sure they have their reasons. It is a good deal all around, a nice upgrade and any time you end up in a production situation there can be specialized product left over. This is something you rarely see from big companies and I am impressed with the offer.

For sure, can't wait to get mine back!

What I meant was when they say they need a sales receipt included in the box, I don't think it's the sales receipt for the original pair of headphones (as Jayzz seems concerned about, as he wouldn't have the original receipt for the headphones if he bought them second hand), I think it's the sales receipt for the upgrade, so they can work out who owns it and where it's going to. I wouldn't think they would be interested in whether you were the original purchaser or not.

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #2,291 of 2,891
I have three amps with a fourth on the way so I should be fine. One of these days I want to get a Microzotl 2 and hope to check one out the next time I am in DC.  I own T50RP mods so I would think they are pretty similar and my son drives his Primes with an Oppo HA-2. I have a Valhalla 2 as my main amp.

Magni was very good, and considering Schiit produces its headphones around the Audeze LCD Line, being the Prime is a planar, it should yeild excellent results

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #2,292 of 2,891
Magni was very good, and considering Schiit produces its headphones around the Audeze LCD Line, being the Prime is a planar, it should yeild excellent results

Good info, thanks! 

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #2,293 of 2,891
I had not read that far and I am certainly not the original owner. Once my headphones arrive I will see if there is any wiggle room on that policy. I know they do not mention precisely what they do on the inside of the headphones, for the $199.99 you get new pads and head strap but after that they do not say a lot.

Reviews universally agree that resolution, soundstage and clarity are all improved. But I haven't listened to them back-to-back on the same gear to say I've compared.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #2,294 of 2,891
Reviews universally agree that resolution, soundstage and clarity are all improved. But I haven't listened to them back-to-back on the same gear to say I've compared.

I have only heard the Primes and I was very impressed.  It has to be tough to tell a difference unless you have both types there,  and can change back and forth using the same music at the same volume level. 

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #2,295 of 2,891
  For sure, can't wait to get mine back!

What I meant was when they say they need a sales receipt included in the box, I don't think it's the sales receipt for the original pair of headphones (as Jayzz seems concerned about, as he wouldn't have the original receipt for the headphones if he bought them second hand), I think it's the sales receipt for the upgrade, so they can work out who owns it and where it's going to. I wouldn't think they would be interested in whether you were the original purchaser or not.

thanks.. it all makes sense now.. waiting for the Alpha dogs to be delivered..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back