MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 21, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,816 of 2,891
  I'm looking for a new pair of closed back phones and am leaning towards the primes (with DUM cable) as they are on sale at the moment. I'll be using them solely at home so the "harsh" looks don't matter that much. As for my own preferences, I love everything about the T90 but need to get closed phones for various reasons.

I think I will pull the trigger on these pretty soon unless some one can come up with a compelling argument to go with another pair (e.g. Ether C).
confused_face_2.gif

AP is the best I have in closed cans. Just be sure to amp it well and properly fit it over your ear. I initially used it with a portable amp (C5) when received it at work, I was about to repackage it for a return. Later on, I brought it home and fired it up with Burson Soloist, preamped by WA2; result: astonishing, brilliant , delicious, powerful, touching, deep, you name it. For $800, I get a lot and beyond expectation with a great build quality, comfort and excellent isolation. Brilliant job from guys behind its creation.   

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #1,817 of 2,891

AP is the best I have in closed cans. Just be sure to amp it well and properly fit it over your ear. I initially used it with a portable amp (C5) when received it at work, I was about to repackage it for a return. Later on, I brought it home and fired it up with Burson Soloist, preamped by WA2; result: astonishing, brilliant , delicious, powerful, touching, deep, you name it. For $800, I get a lot and beyond expectation with a great build quality and excellent isolation. Brilliant job form guys behind its creation.   

Glad to hear! Just placed my order for the AP with DUM cables. Hopefully the Schiit Asgard 2 will drive them properly. It does a wonderful job with the T90.. At some point I will be updating my DAC from AQ df v1.2 to Bifrost MB.
gs1000.gif

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #1,818 of 2,891
  Glad to hear! Just placed my order for the AP with DUM cables. Hopefully the Schiit Asgard 2 will drive them properly. It does a wonderful job with the T90.. At some point I will be updating my DAC from AQ df v1.2 to Bifrost MB.
gs1000.gif

The A2 does an amazing job with the APs

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #1,819 of 2,891
gs1000.gif

The Asgard will be very good.

Your upgrade will be near end-game.  Well, except for those of us with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) 
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #1,821 of 2,891
Another portable DAC/Amp to test would be IFI Audio's microDSD. This little, battery-powered device delivers up to 4W per channel, more than enough for my AlphaDog.

Based on the microDSD specifications posted online, for RMS values, assuming the Alphas share a similar nominal impedance to that of the Fostex T50RP drivers at 50Ω and Mr. Speaker's posted specifications of 90dB/mW efficiency or 103 dB/Vrms sensitivity, I calculated the following:

Turbo Mode (10V) = 2W at 50Ω (~123dB SPL)

Normal Mode (5.5V) = 605mW at 50Ω  (~117dB SPL)

Eco Mode (2V) = 80mW at 50Ω (~109dB SPL)

This amp is well suited to the job.

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #1,822 of 2,891
gs1000.gif

Bifrost MB should be a huge step up above the Dragonfly and also possibly the best DAC under $1000

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #1,823 of 2,891
The Asgard will be very good.

Your upgrade will be near end-game.  Well, except for those of us with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) :D

+1 what Swspiers said. The Asgard 2 will drive your Alpha PRIMES just fine. I hope your new rig puts a big old smile on your face. And yes beware of GAS it can kill your wallet, in a flash.

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,824 of 2,891
+1 what Swspiers said. The Asgard 2 will drive your Alpha PRIMES just fine. I hope your new rig puts a big old smile on your face. And yes beware of GAS it can kill your wallet, in a flash.

Thanks reddog. Haha, yes this sure isn't the cheapest hobby out there 
biggrin.gif
. Can't wait for my APs to arrive. Read so many good reviews about them. 
L3000.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #1,825 of 2,891
  Thanks reddog. Haha, yes this sure isn't the cheapest hobby out there 
biggrin.gif
. Can't wait for my APs to arrive. Read so many good reviews about them. 
L3000.gif

Yeah, but it's WAAAY cheaper than TOTL speakers and high-powered tube amps.,  Heck, we complain about, $5000 heaphones.  that's not even entry level for upper end home audio (Wilson, B&W, etc.)

And headphones are also easier on my back, and take up less room, and more WAF

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #1,826 of 2,891
The Cheapest Wilsons are the new Sabrina's at $15,900 a pair....

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #1,830 of 2,891
  I just ordered the Primes!!!! can't wait, now I will be selling my ADs.  If you know of somebody interested in the ADs please PM me. 

Awesome!!! I'm sure they will be a significant improvement over the ADs. I heard them a few times and the main thing I noticed was lower distortion and wider soundstage, not necessarrily deeper  but wider for sure.

My only logical step now is to move to the Ether C's since I am a huge fan of the color black. My Honda is black, most of my gear is (excluding the Schiit) and I take pride in my black Alpha Dogs.

For people that listen to a wide range of music, they kick ass. I can go from listening to Zapp and Roger one minute, to Whitney Houston, to Modest Mouse, then back to some Nero or E-40.

I just dive into everything that clicks with my ears no matter how cheesy or far out. You'd be surprised at how many well produced 80's albums there are even with the overabundance of the early drum machines and keyboards in effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back