MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 12, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #451 of 9,071
Boy I hope Mr Goodman with CEntrance is following this thread as well.  I'm starting to get the feeling that Head-Fiers are a bit too brutal with these production houses, who are merely trying to be open and early with sharing information on a product's development.  Michael, sleep better knowing its not just you.

I hope an impressions thread starts soon, so I can enjoy hearing feedback with a little less drama...

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #452 of 9,071
Quote:
Excellent Pics

Tnx

Thanks for the kind words.  
smile.gif

Quote:
i kinda like the unfinished offwhitecolor,  gonna take sandpaper n .........
tongue_smile.gif

Lorspeaker, sorry about that, I had the suckyness value set too high in my camera. 
biggrin.gif
  The color is actually a very bright and neutral white... not off-white or warm at all.  

Quote:
Personally, I always wear my headphones in front of a mirror so I can see how good I look listening to music. 

Which brings me to my last point for the moment.  For anyone that has not heard it, I can understand that you're paying diligent attention to that which you can experience at the moment, which is the look of the unit as shown.

But HONESTLY, the most important factor here is the SQ.  We're Head-Fi, not Hipster-Fi.  What Dan has done here with the Alpha Dog's sound signature is rather special.  And the manner in which he as done it is even more so.  Again, I fully realize that those who haven't heard it cannot judge it based on sound.  But c'mon guys... really?

FOR YEARS, Head-Fi has been littered with lamentations that closed-backs cannot offer the staging, air and presentation that open-backs can.  Well, Dan has finally lassoed that unicorn for us... and we're complaining that it's coat isn't pretty enough?!?! 
blink.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #454 of 9,071
I would love to hear more talk about the sound. Anymore comparisons or detailed impressions?

I'll worry about the finish when the cans are being shipped. For know I want to know what my ears are missing out on.

On that note, thank you to all those that have had the chance to listen and have shared their impressions.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #455 of 9,071
Tot the fabled unicorn is in white, off white, snow white.?...okok warrenpchi ..jusssst teasingggg.
A unicorn in regal burgundy rides just as fine.
:p

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #456 of 9,071
Quote:
Someone needs to get off his high horse, may be.

Besides, people who care so immensely about music and don't care about gear at all aren't on threads like these, surely.

I'm not at all on a high horse, guy.  I merely observe.  One such example:  The music subforum of head-fi has 580,000 posts, while the full-size and portable headphone subforums combined have 2,978,000 posts.  That isn't even counting the other equipment subforums.  It's not as if I'm saying that people on here buy their headphones with no intent to listen to music, you get me wrong, but I bet you the average person on here has spent more money in the past year on their headphone gear than actual music, and will continue to do so as well.  What's that popular saying when welcome'd on head-fi-- 'sorry about your wallet?'  I'm sure that relates to buying lots of new music--surely.

Quote:
I will say this the last time, the uneven finish was absolutely because these were the first cups we painted, we just ran out of time to do another pass before a show.

This is not production quality and we wouldn't ship it this way. We are proud of our product, and first quality is an absolute must.

Can we stop wasting time on what is obviously NOT what we will be shipping? Who here thinks I would build a product t his good and spray paint it?

Move on, PLEASE.

Are you also not using the recycled T50RP headphone slider for your production Alpha Dog?

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #457 of 9,071
I'm not at all on a high horse, guy.  I merely observe.  One such example:  The music subforum of head-fi has 580,000 posts, while the full-size and portable headphone subforums combined have 2,978,000 posts.  That isn't even counting the other equipment subforums.  It's not as if I'm saying that people on here buy their headphones with no intent to listen to music, you get me wrong, but I bet you the average person on here has spent more money in the past year on their headphone gear than actual music, and will continue to do so as well.  What's that popular saying when welcome'd on head-fi-- 'sorry about your wallet?'  I'm sure that relates to buying lots of new music--surely.

Spending more on which isn't really an indicator of what people care more about, surely. I'm sure we all spend more on cars, homes, gas, etc. Also, music is far, far more accessible than gear so people can easily listen for themselves whereas it's not always possible to listen to all the possible headphones/amps/dacs out there so forums like this helps narrow things down (or at least tries to). Lastly, music is cheap enough per album/song that one doesn't really need to plan ahead to save up etc. like one does for equipment so it's not surprising that a lot more of the conversation revolves around gear. Ending up with an album you don't like isn't as expensive as getting an amp that does't work with your hp's.

Anyhow, let's get back on topic: as things stand, it appears that the production version will sport a better quality finish. I very much look forward to seeing photos.

One more question to Dan - do you confirm that the bass adjuster is not meant to be used often? Thanks.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #458 of 9,071
Which is exactly why this is a gear-driven hobby.  Every person likes music as much as the next person, but you'd be a fool to say this hobby isn't gear-first.  I'm not even one of those people that starts building up a headphone collection and I still think the gear is the driving factor for the hobby.

To Dan.  Why would you openly advertise your product on your website without showing us it in its production form?  Unless I'm reading something wrong here and people were complaining about the pair on hand at the shows?

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #460 of 9,071
Which is exactly why this is a gear-driven hobby.  Every person likes music as much as the next person, but you'd be a fool to say this hobby isn't gear-first.  I'm not even one of those people that starts building up a headphone collection and I still think the gear is the driving factor for the hobby.

To Dan.  Why would you openly advertise your product on your website without showing us it in its production form?  Unless I'm reading something wrong here and people were complaining about the pair on hand at the shows?

Seriously, guys. Why has this thread about an exciting new product become so snarky? He chose a color. You may not like it, but it's not about you. He wanted to launch in time for CAS, so the final production version wasn't quite ready.

Is there really any more life to beat out of these dead horses?

Moving On. I heard the AD briefly at CAS. It seemed more neutral than the MD, but I didn't have enough time with it to evaluate fully, especially with respect to the openness. And I already thought the MDs were very open sounding for a closed headphone.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #463 of 9,071
I actually don't mind the paint, I think it looks rather great.  I just don't like the interplay between the new cups and the old headband slider system.  It's more of a jarring juxtaposition than the previous T50RP cups.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #464 of 9,071
I'll go with function over form. I realize that Dan was going after improvement over the MD that he couldn't achieve with the old cups. I don't buy hp's for sex appeal. If they look nice that's just a bonus for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back