MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 2, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #8,131 of 9,071
^I went with the Lyr 2 because I knew that eventually "grow into" planars, that's what I love in a two channel system, know that you can never (rarely) have too much power. That Schiit truly offers the best bang for the buck in electronics. I am very happy with my Alpha Dogs. Norne Cable, Lyr 2, and Über Bifrost, I would put it up against my old SoundLab 845, Krell system any day of the week, a fact that continues to amaze me.

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #8,132 of 9,071
^I went with the Lyr 2 because I knew that eventually "grow into" planars, that's what I love in a two channel system, know that you can never (rarely) have too much power. That Schiit truly offers the best bang for the buck in electronics. I am very happy with my Alpha Dogs. Norne Cable, Lyr 2, and Über Bifrost, I would put it up against my old SoundLab 845, Krell system any day of the week, a fact that continues to amaze me.

+1 vote from me for the Schiit Lyr, if the full price is too expensive for this fellow, people on here take extra good care of their electronics, buy it used for less and you'll be good. My uber bifrost is still in the mail but I'm enjoying my Lyr with a Modi, can't wait to hear the difference !

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #8,133 of 9,071
Another vote for Lyr.  You'll have to pry my Lyr-powered Alpha Dogs off my cold, dead head...

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #8,134 of 9,071

+1 vote from me for the Schiit Lyr, if the full price is too expensive for this fellow, people on here take extra good care of their electronics, buy it used for less and you'll be good. My uber bifrost is still in the mail but I'm enjoying my Lyr with a Modi, can't wait to hear the difference !

I was using this setup with a Modi until a month ago, quite happily....in fact I could part with my Modi for $75.00 plus shipping....
wink_face.gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #8,136 of 9,071

Infact, I JUST NOW received my Uber bifrost ( literally 2 minutes ago). Modi, you have served me well.

Congratulations, enjoy the night.....might I suggest a bit of Jeff Buckley, the Grace Sessions......
o2smile.gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #8,140 of 9,071
Thank you, I considered the lyr 2 but decided I should live with something less expensive for a while until I learn what it is that I like. For now ignorance is bliss and I like what I'm hearing out of my AVR, if the O2 is only marginally better I will definitely upgrade sooner than later.

Yes the synergy between the Alpha Dog and Lyr 2 is just fantastic. And the lyr2 also runs the HE-400i to fantastic levels.

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #8,143 of 9,071
I will go against the grain with respect to recent posts as to the o2 to provide one more data point fwiw. Granted my o2 has the agdr booster board in it and a lme49990 in the gain stage for a significant improvement in slew rate, offset, current etc, but even stock, I liked the o2 and alpha dog combo a lot. Really clear, clean and fast sounding, and the stage is not compressed like the o2 seems to do with some phones.

Also, I'll note my ears are not alone in this. LFF frequently recommended the o2 as his go to fostex t50rp amp when he was developing the paradox. Is my mainline better? Sure it is. But for an amp anyone can build fora round $30 in parts, excluding the case, o2 sounds stupidly good in my opinion with fostex variants. Absolutely hate the o2 with my hd800s and hd650s, but for whatever reason it does work for me with dt880s.

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #8,144 of 9,071
I'm the proud owner of a pair of Alpha Dogs since yesterday. I love what these headphones do for my music.
I use them on my Bakoon HPA-01 and I'm very happy with the results sofar. After I order some other cables I will be able to try them on my Mjolnir/Gungnir.

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #8,145 of 9,071
  I'm the proud owner of a pair of Alpha Dogs since yesterday. I love what these headphones do for my music.
I use them on my Bakoon HPA-01 and I'm very happy with the results sofar. After I order some other cables I will be able to try them on my Mjolnir/Gungnir.

Can you describe how a current domain amp improves Alpha/planars please ? I've been curious about those style of current amps.There are DIY schematics online + a Robinette box can be fused into the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back