MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Apr 9, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #6,497 of 9,071
That is one nice paint job and it must take some long hours sanding and filling to get such a smooth finish from a printed part. Would love to see some pictures of the inside of the cups, curious to know if the final internal design still looks like the pic's from the prototype. Lets hope they don't run out of t50rp drivers to use.

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #6,499 of 9,071
  It's a quite interesting paint.  In direct sunlight it's black with colored sparkles.  In office light it can be a midnight blue or a super-dark green/black with silver highlights.  It's imperfect to call it black, though the paint maker describes it this way.  

looks blue to me...v nice !

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #6,500 of 9,071
  I have been really, really tired of all the color discussion on this thread.  But that new 'black' looks seriously awesome.  How in the world did matte trump that in the initial voting?

I chose the claret because it looks like a beautiful classic wine.

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #6,501 of 9,071

I chose the claret because it looks like a beautiful classic wine.

I'll have to wait for the Smokey Amber then
frown.gif

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #6,505 of 9,071
As a general point of interest, for most new phones, we are tuning with two BlueMonkeyDots, but some tune ups are only getting one.  We're now including the felt tuning discs with Alphas and Pros.  Do play with them, they can make a subtle but signifiant shift in the tone of the phone, and people are liking 0, 1 and 2 pads.  

I personally am opting for the 1 pad a lot.   Anyone who's not posted yet about them?  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 10, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #6,507 of 9,071
  if it is for hot treble, which the PRO doesnt have much of then how does it affect the sound in a positive way?

It's not for "hot treble" in the sense of bright headphones.  It's that people have preferences that fall across a spectrum.

What I have learned is that if I give three people one phone and a tuning kit i will get 3 ideal solutions.  It's really like tube rolling to take the amp and tweak it "just so."

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 10, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #6,508 of 9,071
  As a general point of interest, for most new phones, we are tuning with two BlueMonkeyDots, but some tune ups are only getting one.  We're now including the felt tuning discs with Alphas and Pros.  Do play with them, they can make a subtle but signifiant shift in the tone of the phone, and people are liking 0, 1 and 2 pads.  

I personally am opting for the 1 pad a lot.   Anyone who's not posted yet about them?  

I have the kit ready to go but I'm awaiting some minor ear work before engaging in tuning activity as the lug holes are not at peak sensitivity at the moment 

will report when ears and Alpha have been suitably adjusted

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #6,509 of 9,071
I ordered a doggie treats kit with my ADs just in case, is that basically what it is?

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #6,510 of 9,071

Mine arrived as Dan notes--two dots and one pad per side.  After about a month of listening and getting to know them, I pulled the pads and enjoyed the sound signature even more.  Not so much brighter, but seemed to be faster--some of my older jazz went from having an antiseptic recording studio sound to more of a live room sound.  Things buzzing about.  Recent metal/doom like SunnO))) & Ulver's "Terrestrials" became terrifyingly spacious (a good thing).  

I've so enjoyed my AD's that I used them as a benchmark for repositioning my main 2-ch rig--the AD's have revealed so much that I never realized I hadn't really found the sweet spot for my Triangle Alteas in our new home.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back