MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Mar 1, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #6,031 of 9,071
The stock T5p is bassy compared to other low-impedance flagships like the PS1000, but isn't a basshead can by any means. It's also not as warm as, say, and LCD-2. It's still a rather neutral headphone overall.

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #6,033 of 9,071
finished building my cable. it was a PITA. the connecting pins on the adapters are tiny. i used pretty thin cabling, too, so the fit of the rubber covering on the connector isn't snug. but, it looks okay and it sounds pretty good. i terminated in a 1/8" mini plug, just in case i wanted to take the Dogs out for, say, a walk. haven't done any listening other than to check that it works...extended listening session and pics to follow soon...

here are the pics. haven't spent time listening to it yet...but i used 26AWG XLPE wire from BTG audio. braided it myself and terminated with a black mini switchcraft plug.  all i had laying around was white and red heatshrink, so i used that for the L/R indicators near the connectors and also at the Y-split, which, i admit, is not very pretty. but, the cable is very light and very portable. makes me want to take the Dogs out for a walk...

i also had some leftover cable and a couple of extra plugs around so i made a balanced->1/8" cable adapter. don't know when i'd use it, but i have one!

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #6,034 of 9,071
Hi guys, a few weeks ago I promised you all a 3 way shootout involving the Paradox AD and the XC. It took me awhile but I finally got it done. I enjoyed this little exercise immensely and I hope all you guys do too.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #6,036 of 9,071
It is up on the accessories page. I will try to start shipping this week, it may be next week.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #6,038 of 9,071
Dan, are the matte black versions on track for shipment mid march? I placed an order on 2/22 and very much want to have them in time for the Headfi meet coming up.....gotta find the right amp/DAC while at the meet. Thx

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #6,039 of 9,071
  Hi Dan.  I can't see the obedience kit on the accessories page.  I still only get items 1-7.

Thanks.
Dave.

Hm.  Pilot error.  They're up now.  I decided to change the name to "Doggie Treats."  Thanks for the suggestion, whoever that came from!  

https://www.mrspeakers.com/fostex-t50rp-headphone-accessories-comfort-upgrade/MrSpeakers-Tuning-Kit

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #6,040 of 9,071
Dan, are the matte black versions on track for shipment mid march? I placed an order on 2/22 and very much want to have them in time for the Headfi meet coming up.....gotta find the right amp/DAC while at the meet. Thx

We are trying our best.  Our painter has been struggling to keep up, we have a second shop coming online as well as our own.  There is a bit of risk to the ship date, I will know more this week and will post an update.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #6,042 of 9,071
Regarding the "Doggie Treats" -

Dan caught me at the SF Bay Area meet, and installed the kit on my Alpha dogs, or at least the dots, and gave me the felt disks to try.  I really liked the effect of the dots - they seem to remove the one issue I have, which is an occasionally sharp or hot spot in the sibilance range (I am very sensitive to this).  I have listened further, and have decided the "dots" will stay in my headphones.

I was a bit more skeptical about the felt oval disks.  I was pretty sure they would have too pronounced an effect.  About the forth time they fell out of my headphone bag, I decided to try them.  So far, I really like the effect.  It is much more subtle than I expected.  What I notice is a very slight reduction in the upper range, and a very slight reduction in efficiency.  I like slightly rolled off treble, so this is a positive to me.  The lowered efficiency (a small effect, but noticeable on my rig) is also a positive, as it makes it a bit easier to run on high gain on my Burson Soloist SL, if I choose to do so.  I plan on keeping the disks in for a week or two, then pulling them out, just to compare again.  I suspect not everyone will prefer the addition of the disks - they do roll the treble a bit.  Great for me, great for many, some will prefer them out.  It is nice to have the choice.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #6,043 of 9,071
Hm.  Pilot error.  They're up now.  I decided to change the name to "Doggie Treats."  Thanks for the suggestion, whoever that came from!  

https://www.mrspeakers.com/fostex-t50rp-headphone-accessories-comfort-upgrade/MrSpeakers-Tuning-Kit

Awesome, my order has been placed. Thanks.
The Alphas sound great as it is already though, especially now that I have the Pico Power. The Concero HP seemed a little underpowered for the Alphas so now I am running Conerco HP at about 70% volume > Pico power 60% on medium gain setting> AD's. It is a big improvement and great combo! I find the AD's like power as it helps open the soundstage and improves the bass.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #6,044 of 9,071
Just ordered the doggie treats. I also have some Telefunken ECC88's on the way to roll into my Lyr. My Alpha Dogs will be getting some new toys to play with this month, should be fun! :)

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #6,045 of 9,071
Regarding the "Doggie Treats" -

Dan caught me at the SF Bay Area meet, and installed the kit on my Alpha dogs, or at least the dots, and gave me the felt disks to try.  I really liked the effect of the dots - they seem to remove the one issue I have, which is an occasionally sharp or hot spot in the sibilance range (I am very sensitive to this).  I have listened further, and have decided the "dots" will stay in my headphones.

I was a bit more skeptical about the felt oval disks.  I was pretty sure they would have too pronounced an effect.  About the forth time they fell out of my headphone bag, I decided to try them.  So far, I really like the effect.  It is much more subtle than I expected.  What I notice is a very slight reduction in the upper range, and a very slight reduction in efficiency.  I like slightly rolled off treble, so this is a positive to me.  The lowered efficiency (a small effect, but noticeable on my rig) is also a positive, as it makes it a bit easier to run on high gain on my Burson Soloist SL, if I choose to do so.  I plan on keeping the disks in for a week or two, then pulling them out, just to compare again.  I suspect not everyone will prefer the addition of the disks - they do roll the treble a bit.  Great for me, great for many, some will prefer them out.  It is nice to have the choice.

I agree, other than the occasional hot treble they sound great. I do find though that when the AD's are powered well (aren't under fed) the bass becomes a little better and the treble doesn't seem as hot. This issue became much more noticeable on more songs when I was out of town and was using just my Concero HP to feed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back