MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 17, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #5,822 of 9,071
Per OSHA, maximum permissible exposure limit for 2 hrs. is 100 dBA : https://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/noise/standards_more.html

I use SPL meters (Rat Shack for loudspeakers & iPad app for headphones) to set volume listening range around 80- 85 dB max peaks.

just run a sound pressure level test on "Fade to Black" at the level that sounded just right and it peaked at 84dB

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #5,823 of 9,071
My workplace requires hearing protection if noise levels meet or exceed 85 dB. I used this as a maximum listening level maybe 15 yrs. ago. I also use ear plugs when mowing, leaf blowing, around loud machinery, etc.. I wish that I had been more proactive in protecting my ears prior to this, but better late than never ...

I agree with others that the Alpha Dogs retrieve inner detail so well, that lower listening levels are adequate & moderate listening levels are "perfecto" for kicking out the jams. :cool:

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #5,825 of 9,071
  ADs safely in my hands.Love the, more details to follow..

Congrats. they are really good aren't they?
L3000.gif
  I find they also scale really well.

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #5,828 of 9,071
I'd think your 6 weeks will really be more like 3 to 4 at this point. Unless you're getting the matte black option.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #5,830 of 9,071
If you had a fiio x5, would that be enough to drive these headphones, or would you need an separate amp?

The only amp I have at present is the dragonfly, not sure if that is good enough for these headphones? 

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #5,831 of 9,071
If you had a fiio x5, would that be enough to drive these headphones, or would you need an separate amp?

The only amp I have at present is the dragonfly, not sure if that is good enough for these headphones? 

It does an okay job I think, but it's not an optimal pairing. I think the X5 shares similarities with the E12 amp, so my experiences with the E12 and the Alpha Dog are similar to that with the X5.

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #5,832 of 9,071

Ouch! Hopefully the postal dude isn't jamming out with them on his postal route.

This happened to me today, I had to check at my local post office and they had my D5000's sitting there even if the USPS tracking said the delivery was complete.

so dan sends me my shipping info...and USPS said it was delivered on feb. 03. only problem is that i never received them...dan and i are trying to figure out what's up...

so i could have been listening to them the last 11 days, but...yikes!

following up on a lost dog...

i went to the post office this morning to inquire about this supposed delivery on feb. 03. all they could tell me was that something was delivered - a first class package. hmmm, that's odd. first class packages in the USA are for items 13 ounces or less. the ADs weigh more than that.

so i came home, emailed dan at mrspeakers to let him know what happened. literally a minute after sending the email, the postman comes and drops off a box from mrspeakers - my ADs. however, a totally different tracking no. than the one dan gave me last friday. and the shipping label was created on Feb. 07, after the supposed earlier package was delivered on Feb. 03. 

dan sent me the wrong tracking no. for a pair of adapters i had bought separately, so that's where the mixup was...in the end, the ADs are now in my possession. bad thing is, i have to make my balanced to 1/4" adapter before i can listen to them as i only have SE amps at the moment.

one piece of advice: dan said that he cannot send out shipping notices unless you use Paypal. i paid via credit card and did not receive a shipping notice, which partly led to this confusion. i think he's looking at fedex and some other shipping methods to help alleviate this problem...so for those of you who are about to make a purchase, make sure you use paypal if possible.

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #5,833 of 9,071
I have absolute HAD IT with the USPS.  For the first two years they were great, but we've had almost a dozen packages that were two weeks late without explanation and no tracking updates and two lost packages (fortunately cables) in just the last month or so.  USPS doesn't answer the phone anymore, either.   I was on hold for 2.5 hours today before I simply had to hang up.   I wanted to use USPS, but it is becoming untenable.

We're going to turn on Fedex this week and we've got good rates.  It's not yet clear if the notifications for the system will be more reliable, but I have verified the integration is working to get accurate shipping rates so we're getting closer.

For notifications, we use PayPal for all our payment processing and shipping, but the problem is if you register at www.mrspeakers.com with an email that is not in use at PayPal they won't send a shipping notice.  If you use a credit card and an email registered with PayPal they do send a notice.  I call that a bug, they say it's a feature, and that it won't be changed.  This may not change when we add Fedex, this is something we're working on.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 18, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #5,834 of 9,071
  I have absolute HAD IT with the USPS.  For the first two years they were great, but we've had almost a dozen packages that were two weeks late without explanation and no tracking updates and two lost packages (fortunately cables) in just the last month or so.  USPS doesn't answer the phone anymore, either.   I was on hold for 2.5 hours today before I simply had to hang up.   I wanted to use USPS, but it is becoming untenable.

We're going to turn on Fedex this week and we've got good rates.  It's not yet clear if the notifications for the system will be more reliable, but I have verified the integration is working to get accurate shipping rates so we're getting closer.

For notifications, we use PayPal for all our payment processing and shipping, but the problem is if you register at www.mrspeakers.com with an email that is not in use at PayPal they won't send a shipping notice.  If you use a credit card and an email registered with PayPal they do send a notice.  I call that a bug, they say it's a feature, and that it won't be changed.  This may not change when we add Fedex, this is something we're working on.

thanks for the update, dan. too bad USPS is stinking it up...

fyi, i paid for my ADs via credit card and used an email address that's registered with Paypal. but i did not receive a notice. so that's not working, either. for the adapters i bought a couple weeks ago i did use paypal and the notice was sent fine. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back