MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jan 28, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #5,386 of 9,071

Hi... The connectors are in stock right now, though they do move pretty quickly.  We only sell the headphone with a cable, but we encourage DIY!

well, unless they ran out in a few hours, they still show as out of stock on the website. however, i ordered a pair anyway...lots of cables to make in the next month...now, where's that soldering iron of mine?

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #5,387 of 9,071

Natural or Transparent?

This is from a few pages back, but I felt a duty to respond. We were discussing comparisons between the D5K, D7K, and AD, and I had mentioned that the D7K sounded more natural than the AD.

I definitely meant natural, in that its warmer sound is more inviting. The AD is more transparent and resolving, but can sometimes be a little harsh and overly technical for certain pieces.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #5,388 of 9,071
Yeah, Its decently  small. Its not portable amp small but it still is smaller than a lot of stuff I have seen. It covers slightly less area than my alpha dogs being placed flat on the table. It pairs very very well depending on what tube you are using. There is plenty of power through this amp. On top of that for a hybrid tube amp its got a plethora of setting you can play with (resistance, bypassing input caps, hi and low gain), along with a crap load of tubes it accepts, and you can even change the LED color. I personally prefer a detailed flat tube. Pretty much all the tubes I tried for it were in this thread I made for the Project Ember http://www.head-fi.org/t/702826/project-ember-tube-rolling  
Its an amazing amp, and probably compares well to a lot of gear. I personally cant say as this is the only desktop amp I have tried. I have tried a decent amount of portable stuff, and some full size speaker stuff with headphone jacks (the most expensive being the mcintosh 2120). It has been much better than anything I have tried.

Thanks for the info and your tube thread :) This is also gonna be my first desktop amp as well. I am pretty excited to try it out!

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #5,389 of 9,071
I have tried a decent amount of portable stuff, and some full size speaker stuff with headphone jacks (the most expensive being the mcintosh 2120). It has been much better than anything I have tried.

So, you are saying that you prefer the Ember to the headphone jack of the McIntosh 2120 ?   Can you say some more about that comparison ?   Thanks.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #5,390 of 9,071
  So, you are saying that you prefer the Ember to the headphone jack of the McIntosh 2120 ?   Can you say some more about that comparison ?   Thanks.

Yeah pretty much, though it has been a couple of months since I listened to it. I have no idea what the power was out of that though. I am pretty sure it was under powering what were my mad dogs at the time. I know we had to set the gain dials at max along with cranking the volume pretty high. Its honestly really hard to compare the two. I can not do a direct comparison either, as the 2120 disconnects the headphone jack when you plug in speakers. The way my dad has it set up, its very hard to get at to fiddle around with it, and is just not worth it. 

From what I recall though the 2120 had nearly the exact same characteristics of my DX100 (crisp and clean with good details) as I remember them being very close in sound. Except that the 2120 had a smoother sound to it along with better sound staging (a quality that tends to show when you get closer or above optimal power) which leads me to believe the power output being somewhere between the DX100 and Ember. I just do not remember it doing details any better than what my DX100 can, and my Ember with the Telefunken 12AT7 really can pick up some fine details that the DX100 just does not. The ember also sounds livelier, smoother, and has better sound stage. At the time of testing the 2120 I definitely remember thinking "wow my dx100 matches up quite nicely with this, of course the 2120 beats it out in certain ways but its nothing that I can live without". It actually made me question if buying a desktop amp would ever be truly worth it.

So the extra power I believe you are getting out of the Ember plus being able to get good details from what I recall makes it better than the 2120. At least it would be with the alphas, but I am unsure with any other headphones that it could actually drive to full potential.

While this is probably pretty obvious the 2120 is a horrible headphone amp functionality wise. I know a lot of good stuff can come from mixing headphones plus full size stereo equipment, but this is not the case. For one thing the 2120 makes an excellent speaker amp, but it only makes for an ok headphone amp as it is not optimized. There is very little you can adjust for headphones  in comparison to the ember where you can bypass input caps, change gain, change resistance, change tubes (well this comes with any tube/hybrid amp), and more. Plus the 2120 is huge, and weighs in at 57 lbs, while the ember weighs a couple pounds at most (which makes this easy to transfer from room to room). On top of that its expensive because its a good somewhat rare speaker amp, but that value just does not transfer to the headphone portion. Also like stated above connecting the speaker disconnects the headphone jack, which means for any practical set up you would have to have it set up as either a headphone or speaker amp by itself.

I guess I have gone well beyond your question by now, but I see using the 2120 as a headphone amp being like using a porsche for a dirt/snow/sand rally. It does a hell of a job on the road, but it is not going to do crap for rally. A headphone amp is just going to be much more optimized toward headphones in this situation.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #5,391 of 9,071
Wow, the Alpha Dog is pretty revealing of the recording. I'm listening to Third Eye Blind's "Semi-Charmed Life" song for a blast to the past and although the dynamic range rating is fairly high (DR9), the soundstage is really two-dimensional (not because of the Alpha Dog). I think I'll go back to some Gamelan music.
c42405h5x8h.jpg

Massive Attack's "Teardrop" song is great with the Alpha Dog. When you get the right seal on your head, the bass has a really nice balance with the midrange, but the lowest of notes is a bit rolled-off. A similar observation was made with Fila Brazilia's "Head Death of the Universe" song.

I almost never listen to this album, but this sounds really fantastic with the Alpha Dog. The details and texture of the saxophone are just incredible with the Alpha Dog!
New-History-Warfare-Vol-2.jpg

I still can't believe all of the sounds made for this track were from a single person playing a single instrument...that's just mind-blowing.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9YJM2GCvk8[/video]

The sound of the Alpha Dog really depends on how it's positioned on your head as I've found. I usually wear headphones with the front of the earpad at the front of my ear because of comfort reasons, but I seem to get the best sound when the back of the earcup is at the back of my ear.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #5,392 of 9,071
Hey guys, I am happy to report that the AD's are a perfect match for Violectric V200 / V800 stack. My short review/impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/551173/review-violectric-hpa-v200-amp/2460#post_10216228

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #5,394 of 9,071
As of tomorrow we'll be shipped through 12/25, so our backlog is now at 4 weeks.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 29, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #5,399 of 9,071
When you're at a point where you're hiding amps, headphones and dacs from your wife, that's when you should worry.

I have been wanting to try a Burson Soloist. I actually thought maybe the Soloist SL would be less conspicuous because it is smaller and maybe she wouldn't notice ... I am only just recently getting into headphones but have been into loudspeaker audio for a while. Head-fi is definitely more addictive gear-wise because of the economy of (smaller) scale makes trying new things possible.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #5,400 of 9,071
I have been wanting to try a Burson Soloist. I actually thought maybe the Soloist SL would be less conspicuous because it is smaller and maybe she wouldn't notice ... I am only just recently getting into headphones but have been into loudspeaker audio for a while. Head-fi is definitely more addictive gear-wise because of the economy of (smaller) scale makes trying new things possible.

The soloist SL is a nice amp. Leans very slightly to the lush side as opposed to neutral. This is in a good way for me. The pairing with the Alphas is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back