MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jan 10, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #5,026 of 9,071
^^ You guys know me by now. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #5,027 of 9,071
Sorry MattTCG, my apologies for the misunderstanding, thanks for the clarifications, guys!

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #5,029 of 9,071
which adapter should i buy if i ve the 1/4 and want 1/8 for portable players  ?

http://www.moon-audio.com/cardas-hpi-mini-to-female-1-4-inch-adapter-cable.html

is there something better out there ? recommedations welcomed !

regards from germany

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #5,030 of 9,071
Are the Ads a step up over the Sennheiser HD650s? Looking for my next headphone..

Very different sounding. Depending on your taste really. The HD650 is warmer, more intimate, and smoother. The AD is more neutral, and faster, and lively. I'd wager they'd make great compliments to one another. I'd say the AD is more accurate and better defined.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #5,031 of 9,071
Found meself a good value DAC with HP out for portable use(at least while resting and a stack that can still fit my hands) with the Alpha:). It can drive the AD no problem and at quite low volume adjustment(software).
This thing sounds great for $66(up there in terms of  Price/Perf. Ratio just like the AD) and can do Hi-Res to boot.
Using it like so...........GS3(phone)->UAPP(Usb Audio Player Pro App.)->Xmos DAC(with external batt.)->AD.
I have tried the AD with portable gears I own(O2/ODAC,C5/UD110,D-Zero,Apex Glacier) and the Xmos DAC is my best sounding yet(at least for me).
The downside is you have to feed the DAC power(external 5V batt or DC supply) and it has no physical volume control( I'm using UAPP software volume).

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #5,032 of 9,071
Jan 11, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #5,033 of 9,071
Hi,
I bought this one from Grado. Maybe you´ll like it.
http://www.madooma.com/shopHP/neu_headphone-accessories/GRADO_Mini-Adapter_von_6_3mm_auf_3_5mm_fuer_Kopfhoerer.html

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #5,034 of 9,071
Just as a heads up with those adapters. Make sure to buy one that you feel would change the sound signature the least favorably. There are 3 or 4 different ones that use a similar design.  I bought the sennheiser one or some knock off and the material used adds some warmth to the grado sr60is I modified. It may sound obvious to people on here, but I found the difference kind of surprising. Otherwise the adapter itself is a very nice design.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #5,037 of 9,071
Very different sounding. Depending on your taste really. The HD650 is warmer, more intimate, and smoother. The AD is more neutral, and faster, and lively. I'd wager they'd make great compliments to one another. I'd say the AD is more accurate and better defined.

+1 If you're looking for a "pair" of hp's that complement each other nearly to perfection, you'd be hard pressed to beat the two of these. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #5,038 of 9,071
  Hi,
I bought this one from Grado. Maybe you´ll like it.
http://www.madooma.com/shopHP/neu_headphone-accessories/GRADO_Mini-Adapter_von_6_3mm_auf_3_5mm_fuer_Kopfhoerer.html

I haven't tried the Sennheiser unit.  I always have one of the Grado ones in my cable bag.  Nice copper cable, nice solid construction, nice and flexible.  Basically, it is, ahhhh nice.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #5,039 of 9,071
  Could you elaborate on this point? I've been considering the HP-P1 for awhile, but this may keep me from purchasing.

hi ssrock64....
the power from HPP1 is not enough to drive the alpha dogs to my taste. i kinda like the sound to be a bit loud sometimes. I tried at the max gain on the HPP1 with volume pot almost max to get to the volume that i liked.  I am using filter number 1 on the HPP1 to drive the alpha dogs. 
But, once again, to my taste, i kinda need a bit more juice from HPP1 to really drive the alpha dogs to my liking. It is a good pairing, just need more power to my taste.
So far, i am favoring the clas db + duet or clas db + rx mk3 b pairing to drive my alpha dogs.
Theorem 720 is a great choice too but I like the dac from clas db better so far.

Regards,
JayTee189 

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #5,040 of 9,071
  which adapter should i buy if i ve the 1/4 and want 1/8 for portable players  ?

http://www.moon-audio.com/cardas-hpi-mini-to-female-1-4-inch-adapter-cable.html

is there something better out there ? recommedations welcomed !

regards from germany

As an alternative, if you want to go for higher quality any of the higher end cable companies will make one for you.  For example, Moon Audio will make a Blue Dragon 1/4 to 1/8" adapter for about $80 or so, according to the site. There are also many other options available for adapters, e.g., balanced to single ended, RSA, etc. etc. 

http://www.moon-audio.com/ 

I presently use the Grado and it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back