MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Dec 10, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #8,506 of 9,071
The Crack is an OTL amp.  Generally, but not always, OTL amps have trouble pushing enough current for planars.  The power output is more optimal for higher impedance headphones, which requires more voltage swing and less current than planars.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 10, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #8,507 of 9,071
I didn't try Alpha Dogs with Crack but I did try them with SEX and they sounded really good but what surprised me most is they sounded best
with CSP3 while I read that CSP amps are not recommend for planars by itself

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #8,508 of 9,071
I am going to interject here... I am getting great results with my Alpha Dogs and Prime with my Van Alstine Transcendance 8+ preamp, but happened to try out the Qinpu Q3 amp for $139 from Audio Advisor.  5wpc, 1 6N3 tube and it does a very good job. I use my Musical Fidelity M1DAC, also great performance but not inexpensive...

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #8,509 of 9,071
Woah, nice, that's good to hear. I'll research more on these inexpensive amps! I got to try out the Alpha Dogs with the Crack, and it's actually pretty decent, but the lows sounds a little muddled, will test more when I get home, but now I'm pretty satisfied using it with the Fiio X1 + E11K combo, plus my colleagues are not complaining that my headphones sounds like a stereo! (I was using the HD600) Haha.

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #8,510 of 9,071
  The Crack is an OTL amp.  Generally, but not always, OTL amps have trouble pushing enough current for planars.  The power output is more optimal for higher impedance headphones, which requires more voltage swing and less current than planars.

Thanks for the input! And thanks for modding these headphones! Really a great enjoyment!

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #8,512 of 9,071
  THANK THE LORD!  Just received shipping notice that my Dogs are headed back to me as Primes.  Just in time for some extended holiday listening sessions.  Thank you Dan!

Thanks for the patience! 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #8,513 of 9,071
They are absolutely worth the wait... 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #8,515 of 9,071
[quote name="swspiers" url="/t/676095/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-revealed-the-worlds-first-production-3d-printed-headphones/8505#post_11123927"

And then some.
[/quote]
+1000 Definitely worth the wait, I am shocked how great everything sounds from Zappa to the Talking Heads to Dave Bruebeck, it all sounds great. I can only wonder how a good dac helps out. :)

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #8,516 of 9,071
As a FYI, we finished the last of the upgrades (at least those we've received, a few still haven't been sent).  The Prime upgrade has been very difficult from the Alpha Dog, at least 75% had major issues, many which were really expensive to address in both time and parts.

Unfortunately I have to go back to the drawing board on the process, as what we did was able to yield results, but at far to high a cost.  So for now, we won't be doing more upgrades.  I will look at this again early next year and see if I can find some simplifications.

I'm disappointed I don't have better news.  Thanks to all the upgrade pilot participants for their patience, as this took longer than we thought.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #8,517 of 9,071
Dan, here's the thing, why not offer trade in and certified used ones for sale instead of upgrade?

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #8,518 of 9,071
Been using the Alpha dog with my O2 and ODAC and loving it. My question is, what would be the next amp upgrade after the O2 that will have a major difference than the O2? I was thinking about Lyr 2, though it's rarely on classified. Also, is there any difference between the Lyr and Lyr 2?

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #8,519 of 9,071
  Dan, here's the thing, why not offer trade in and certified used ones for sale instead of upgrade?

That is not a bad idea but I think it would be too hard to control the quality of goods coming back to us. Its impossible to buff out scratches unless the whole headphone is taken apart, which could cause irreparable damage to the drivers. I wouldn't feel good about sending a customer a headphone that had obvious flaws. That being said, I'll talk with Dan about it on Monday.  

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #8,520 of 9,071

That is not a bad idea but I think it would be too hard to control the quality of goods coming back to us. Its impossible to buff out scratches unless the whole headphone is taken apart, which could cause irreparable damage to the drivers. I wouldn't feel good about sending a customer a headphone that had obvious flaws. That being said, I'll talk with Dan about it on Monday.  

Thanks, and tell Dan that he can think of this is a chance to train the puppies here to take care of their Dogs if they ever want to have a chance of an trade-in upgrade :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back