MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Dec 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #8,476 of 9,071
Hahahaha!  I didn't see the 2 year coming, but then again who does.  Still laughing!  I kind of expected a more typical "I just prefer solid state to tubes."  I was "that kid," too, I dismantled my mom's tape deck when I was around 3 or 4, but I did get it back together working.  Young engineers of the world unite!

Lol. If he dismantled a tube amp there would be no danger of him (or me for that matter) getting it back together working. I'd love one, but as well as the threat posed by my toddler, they look like a load of hassle and I'm sure that tube rolling would open up whole new vistas of OCD obsessing for me. I'll stick to solid state.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #8,478 of 9,071
  does somebody now , when alpha dogs are being upgradeable??

I had mine upgraded as part of Dan's test group.  But he has said the process has a high mortality rate and may not be economically feasible.  There has so far been no broad upgrade option made available.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #8,479 of 9,071
Just received my Alpha Dog yesterday and can't stop listening back all my album. Coming from HD600, I can hear big improvement(at least through my amateur ear) on the Alpha Dog. Any great album that might shine on Alpha Dog? Would love to give it a listen.

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #8,480 of 9,071
Just got my Alpha Dog today. It's a secondhand pair owned by the reviewer at Headfonics.com. Out of a lot of the high-end headphones I've tried these are the least flawed for my tastes. The HE-560 wowed with it's wide open sound, clarity, and smoothness. It wronged in soundstage depth and had a midrange that felt a little hollow. The LCD-2 had beautiful, deep, high textured bass and a nice, full, and warm midrange. It has great depth and a nice center image. It lacked openness, air, and soundstage width though. The HD700 was awesome too. Dark, forward, clear, and smooth with a soundstage for me beat those mentioned earlier. Too bad it had that terrible treble peak. Some tracks were plain unbearable. 

My first impressions of the Alpha Dog  are that not of awe but of growing appreciation. Coming from the Fidelio L2, the treble was surely less forward and I actually the L2 to etched with more developed treble but neither being harsh unless the recording would be bright. Soundstage is the best I've heard for a closed back (I haven't tried THAT many). I hear it to be wider than the LCD-2 around the width of the L2 or slightly wider. The depth was equal to that of the LCD and better than the other headphones mentioned save for the HD700. My gripe would be bass which was a little lacking for my tastes as I recall the HE-560 to be even punchier on certain tracks. I've remedied this with a half turn on the bass screw. I'd turn it another half turn but I think it might steal the show of the true star. 

From the start, the Alpha Dog has mids that easily impress and lure. Not as warm and full bodied as that of the LCD-2 but with added clarity and retained smoothness, the midrange of the Alpha Dog plays well across all tracks I've heard them with. I'd say the midrange on my rig is slightly warm as if only to smoothen it, intimate, but still mostly neutral. Vocals are lovely and music like Hip-Hop have easily intelligible speech. The last aspect I love about the Alpha Dog is the speed. The Alpha is quite laid-back yet decay is never the least bit slow never allowing notes to blur into each other.

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #8,481 of 9,071
  Just received my Alpha Dog yesterday and can't stop listening back all my album. Coming from HD600, I can hear big improvement(at least through my amateur ear) on the Alpha Dog. Any great album that might shine on Alpha Dog? Would love to give it a listen.

The Alpha Dog imo is at its best with singer/songwriter and vocal tracks. Amy Winehouse, Alison Krauss, John Legend, Frank Ocean, Regina Spektor, Norah Jones, etc. They should all sound great even without extra tuning or frequency boosting relative to other genres.

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #8,482 of 9,071
The Alpha Dog imo is at its best with singer/songwriter and vocal tracks. Amy Winehouse, Alison Krauss, John Legend, Frank Ocean, Regina Spektor, Norah Jones, etc. They should all sound great even without extra tuning or frequency boosting relative to other genres.

I agree, though I prefer listening to drum-heavy album such Court of the Crimson king which is my most favourite album to listen through the Alpha Dog.

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #8,483 of 9,071

Wow spot on impressions maricius!! I am obsessed with listening to Journey ever since I got my Alpha Dogs. They have shifted my interests in music towards more vocal oriented tracks

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #8,484 of 9,071
I agree, though I prefer listening to drum-heavy album such Court of the Crimson king which is my most favourite album to listen through the Alpha Dog.

Oh really!?  Are you referring to the Wilson re-master on DVD-A?  That is one of my reference albums, as the drumming is ungodly good.  And I agree, that's the album, especially the title track, that won me over with the Dogs.

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #8,488 of 9,071
  Anyone has an easier technique to connect the cable? I took a really long time connecting it and I'm afraid that I might break the cable/connector in some way.

I haven't quite gotten the hang of that as well. They're really sturdy though.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #8,489 of 9,071
Twist the cable part and apply minimum pressure. Once it finds its *groove* it'll pop in and you'll be finding yours :wink: Don't worry you're not going to break anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back