MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 29, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #7,861 of 9,071
Hm, I thought ... by other online comparisons, that the opposite should be true. I thought 400i is a bit thicker sounding? Did you mean an particular range of FR or overall impression? I find the AD a bit thin for me and sometimes I EQ treble to about -3db.

Too my ears I found the overall sound a tad drier however I found the alpha dogs a touch sibilant compared to the 400it's . The bass on the 400i's to be great, definitely deeper, but controlled, no leakage into the mids. I needs to hear the HE-560's to make a fair comparison. Both the alpha dogs and the 400i's are great cans and compliment each other. And the HE-400i's I am using are unmodified. I have no doubt that doing the grill mod would make the HE-400i's sound fantastic. I

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #7,862 of 9,071
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue74/alpha_dog.htm

Here's another newer review I found. He doesn't go very much in depth but I could tell he was ecstatic that's for sure

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #7,863 of 9,071
Too my ears I found the overall sound a tad drier however I found the alpha dogs a touch sibilant compared to the 400it's . The bass on the 400i's to be great, definitely deeper, but controlled, no leakage into the mids. I needs to hear the HE-560's to make a fair comparison. Both the alpha dogs and the 400i's are great cans and compliment each other. And the HE-400i's I am using are unmodified. I have no doubt that doing the grill mod would make the HE-400i's sound fantastic. I

Oh man, I'll be doing that comparison in a few days.

And yeah, I found the same thing with the AD's when I had the 560's.  Added some doggy treats to tame it a bit, but I never would have noticed or minded had I not heard the 560's.

Reading threads is dangerous!

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #7,864 of 9,071
Hi Mike, 
Knowing that you are a Audeze's fan, how would you compare the AD with the XC? Assuming that I listen mostly to vocals (Leonard Cohen, Ryan Adams) and some 90's grunge do you thing the XC would be a significant and noticeable upgrade? I fear for the brightness of of both headphones...
Many thanks

Aug 30, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #7,868 of 9,071
  Any experience with vary-bass adjustment? How much does one turn bring bass up or down?

It's hard to say exactly how much one turn will affect the bass. Realistically, from the stock setting, one turn isn't going to be a drastic difference. I ran some basic measurements (not publicly posted at HF, at least not yet...soon) and was able to confirm these adjustments do a good job lowering the bass response below approximately 100Hz, though it may also affect the treble response around the 10KHz area (bumps the treble spot up as you tune bass down).

Personally, I found my AD to have the most balanced response by having the vents almost closed. However, if you go to far, and you'll know when, the sound starts to take on a weird, almost anemic sound despite measurements showing plenty of bass. YMMV, and my AD was fairly bass-heavy out of the box (a good 5dB boost or so below 100Hz).

I wouldn't recommend doing these adjustments unless you have very good ears or are able to measure your set to verify proper channel balance. Even then, it works best if you use your ears first, verify with measurements, and then double check again with your ears. If you do want to make adjustments, I'd recommend starting with half turns, keeping count, and going slowly and incrementally on both channels until satisfied. That way you can back out to a stock setting easily if need be.

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #7,869 of 9,071
Thanks, it seem I am a rather basshead ... so I am interested mainly in +. Coming from fidelio X1 it is very evident how different headphones can be. My pair is missing felt pads - any thoughts on felt pads vs EQ.?
I have a few EQ presets for AD. Classical, acoustic and well recorded music don't need any. But sound quality on some great jazz, funk recordings can be so off balance I need to EQ  treble parts, and sometimes lift bass.

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #7,872 of 9,071
It could be your pair has a bit less bass out-of-the-box than mine, though what I hear on mine isn't too far off the tour pair I tested a while back, and Tyll's measurements indicate the AD should have at least a subtle bass boost. Unless your pair already has the vents mostly opened, you probably have room to increase the bass. This may also affect treble to your liking.

As long as you are EQing treble down on the AD, it should have no ill effect and might not even be worth further looking into the felt pads. They do, after all, mostly just bump down the treble response in a fairly even fashion.

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #7,874 of 9,071
Vali work OK with the AD, though I think it can sometimes make orthos sound ever so slightly thinner than they should (dunno why). I prefer the AD from my vintage Sansui 5000A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back