MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Sep 7, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #7,891 of 9,071
  More revisions or time on the market doesn't necessarily equate to a guaranteed better sound. And the alpha pads are just a really good pad for any T50RP mod (assuming you're tuning for them, obviously), simple as that.

If it's so easy, why not do it yourself? 

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #7,892 of 9,071
  You can't go wrong with either. I was in the same position as you and went with the Alpha Dogs. Why?

Because they have been out longer which means more revisions to get the best sounding headphones and not to mention ZMF Vibros even use the MrSpeakers pads made for the Alpha Dogs themselves. The Vibros are cheaper by $75 though. Either or, there going to sound very similar since they use the same drivers and probably similar tweaks.

Yeah, I'm frustrated by the fact I can't try them ^^ It's hard to make a choice, Alpha Dog was my first go but then I've heard of the Zmf x Vibro ...
As you said : I can't go wrong with either :)

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #7,893 of 9,071
  If it's so easy, why not do it yourself? 

Hm? I'm not sure where you're getting me saying anything was easy. Just saying alpha pads are a good choice for those looking to mod T50RPs. Dan did a really good job with them. So...it seems pretty simple to me why people would want to use them, especially if he's willing to offer them to modders (generous, IMO).

Also, as far as I know, the ZxF and AD don't use similar internal damping schemes, though I can't say I've looked inside an AD. A big, big guess on my part. Just don't want anyone to fall into the logical trap thinking more revisions or more time on market will guarantee better sound. It might, it might not. All that matters is the sound you get in the end. FWIW I think both are quite good and have their own merits.

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #7,895 of 9,071
  Have anyone tried the AD on a balanced setup and compared them to the single ended? 

I will be latter this month, I will be receiving a Norne Draug 2, for my 560's and Alpha Dogs, and will have amps to try at our Meet on the 20th. 

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #7,897 of 9,071
Sep 8, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #7,900 of 9,071
I've been down the balanced SE road before.  My advice is to try as many amps as you can and grab the one with the sound you like best.  Balanced or SE should not be a factor for the AD.  The only time that I went with balanced over SE in a amp was when I had the HE-6 and I wanted just a bit more oomph.  In the end I ditched the balanced and used a old SS speaker amp that kicked the hell out of the balanced headphone amp.

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #7,901 of 9,071
It has been my personal experience that most balanced amps that have a single ended output sound better balanced.  However, it has also been my experience that great amps, single ended or balanced, are great amps.   

Not all balanced amps even have single-ended out, like the Mjolnir (which is awesome) but those that have a single ended output are only using half the circuit in a circuit almost certainly optimized for balanced operation.  In other words, a balanced amp's single ended output likely won't sound as good.  But this does not imply that balanced is better than single ended.

I've got both balanced and single ended, and it's more an issue that each has it's own unique flavor and I pick the device based on my mood and music, not the topology of the amp. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #7,902 of 9,071
  It has been my personal experience that most balanced amps that have a single ended output sound better balanced.  However, it has also been my experience that great amps, single ended or balanced, are great amps.   

Not all balanced amps even have single-ended out, like the Mjolnir (which is awesome) but those that have a single ended output are only using half the circuit in a circuit almost certainly optimized for balanced operation.  In other words, a balanced amp's single ended output likely won't sound as good.  But this does not imply that balanced is better than single ended.

I've got both balanced and single ended, and it's more an issue that each has it's own unique flavor and I pick the device based on my mood and music, not the topology of the amp. 

Dan, how do you rate the Mjolnir against the lyr 2 using the AD of course?

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #7,903 of 9,071

Dan, how do you rate the Mjolnir against the lyr 2 using the AD of course?

The Mjolnir is really detailed and clear with a noise floor that is super low.    The Lyr2 maybe gave me a bit more sense of ambience and had a very nice tone to it with the right tubes (Bugle Boys for me right now).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 9, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #7,905 of 9,071
I have no complaints at all with my AD's and the Burson Soloist SL. With my more expensive setups I've always had the idea that they've never quite justified the expenditure. As great as the LCD-XC is, it never made me feel like I wanted to stay up all night and listen to music. Another misconception I had about the Alpha Dog, with it having a mostly neutral signature, was that it might be a bit dull sounding. Not so! It's one of the most fun headphones I've owned and I'm yet to find any music it doesn't do well. The Alpha Dog cost me roughly £480 and I can't think of anything in that price bracket that even comes close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back