MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Apr 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #6,736 of 9,071
Thank you for the update. I ordered on April 6 so looks like light at the end of the tunnel
smile.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #6,738 of 9,071
Anyone have the rsa p51 mustang with the AD? Just wanna know if it can drive it.

Should be no problem at all.  I have an RSA Hornet, which I think is just about identical to the P51, and the Hornet runs my AD great.  Even on the Low setting, it will play too loud to listen to on most songs.  For example, on Random Access Memories, the bass is solid and powerful even on the Low setting, but does requires about 3/4 volume.  But, on High setting, it only takes less than half volume.  And the sound is really excellent.  I would say the Hornet equals my ALO RXMK3B+ .  I'm not kidding -- I was very surprised too.

I also tried the Hornet on many other genres, incl. jazz, and the Hornet runs the AD superbly.

Apr 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #6,739 of 9,071
Finally got some time to play around with Chesky's binaural test album.  The sub-bass test kind of blew my mind at just how low my Dogs can go, although there was a little bit of rolloff once i got as low as 22hz.  It remains tight all the way down to the deepest levels and was a very satisfying experience.  The soundstage tests were eerie in just how accurately the ADs were able to place things in height, depth and width.  Its things like these that make me wonder just how the bass is on something like an Audeze or the soundstage on an HD800.  My wallet is keeping my curiosity in check for now, and despite my curiosity, I've come to realize even more of how much a beast the ADs are.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #6,741 of 9,071
  Should be no problem at all.  I have an RSA Hornet, which I think is just about identical to the P51, and the Hornet runs my AD great.  Even on the Low setting, it will play too loud to listen to on most songs.  For example, on Random Access Memories, the bass is solid and powerful even on the Low setting, but does requires about 3/4 volume.  But, on High setting, it only takes less than half volume.  And the sound is really excellent.  I would say the Hornet equals my ALO RXMK3B+ .  I'm not kidding -- I was very surprised too.

I also tried the Hornet on many other genres, incl. jazz, and the Hornet runs the AD superbly.

do you happen to know the power output?

Apr 25, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #6,744 of 9,071
So after days of listening to the AD and comparing to some of my other cans, colour me impressed. I mainly impressed with how great and detailed the mid range is. As far as it goes I've now tuned the bass screw 1 full turn and I'm enjoying the small amount of extra bass I've gained. I intend to experiment with the discs/dots when I can buy some in the future (cannot do that right now due to not being home soon).
As far as the all round sound quality goes, I'd put it on an equal standing to my DX1000, but a bit above the TH600 and Signature DJ.

Alpha Dog
- Most flat and complete mid range - better mid range detail and clarity
- highly detailed
- solid imaging/separation, but not the best out of these
- decent soundstage
- well extended bass - but the weakest in quantity of the three by some way
- sound is pretty quick and effortless
- treble slightly hard but discs fix that
- heaviest of these - but comfortable
- strong isolation and barely any leak
- hardest to drive

Fostex TH600
- very detailed for a closed can
- very good seperation/imaging - give it a slight nod over the AD
- deeply extended and very powerful bass - sub bass rumble is very real and can be felt - however bass can bleed a bit
- somewhat drier mid range, there is a dip in the bottom of the mids that can make it sound thin sometimes - mids are slightly receded
- big soundstage for a closed can
- treble is bright and can be overly harsh with the wrong recordings - definitely noticeably elevated
- not as fast as the AD in highly complex/fast music
- very light and comfortable - however a small pressure point on top of my head gets sore
- weak isolation and leaks quite a bit
- fairly easy to drive

Signature DJ
- doesn't lack detail overall but not truly up there with the 2 above
- imaging is strong, but somewhat unusually 3d due to S-Logic - sounds can appear behind you
- bass is very impactful - not sub bass oriented like the TH600 - hardest hitting bass
- mids sound bottom weighted, upper midrange has a recession which affects vocals, guitars etc negatively quite often
- smaller soundstaging
- treble is slightly elevated highly detailed and amazingly not sibilant or harsh - which shocked me considering this is an ultrasone afterall. Infact they are smoother/softer up top than AD despite being a bit more elevated
- can also struggle with fast stuff like metal
- clamps fairly hard, comfortable to start with - after hours can get a bit sore - you will notice you are wearing them
- the best isolation of these and no leak at all
- portable and very easily driven

JVC DX1000
- not super detailed either, but not unclear or veiled at all
- imaging is the best of these from my experience
- very large soundstage - the biggest of the 4 however it lacks air like the TH600 has
- mids are a bit wonky, the sound smooth and very euphoric especially with acoustics, and female vocals but can sound distant and cavernous on some recordings
- bass is deeply extended and powerful - stronger than the AD but weaker than the TH600 and DJ in terms of rumble. Impact is a bit more than the TH600
- treble is smooth and somewhat weaker - I would not say that its too dark though - just slightly
- can sound slow on fast recordings, the biggest struggler of the 4
- very light and comfortable - next to no clamp at all
- solid isolation and only leaks a little bit
- extremely easy to drive, even out of DAPs

W1000X falls behind all of these.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #6,746 of 9,071
The Isolation is a fair bit better than the TH600, but the Alpha Dog isolates better still - the AD is very good in this regard. Closer to the AD though.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #6,749 of 9,071
Woo WA7, Musical Fidelity HPA M1, Audio GD NFB 15.32

Users who are viewing this thread

Back