MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Apr 22, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #6,706 of 9,071
My Alpha Dog just rocked up, looking forward to doing some listening tonight.

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #6,707 of 9,071
  Do you feel it beats out the HE-500 and LCD-2 for price to performance?

Can't speak for the LCD-2, but the HE-500 and AD are both good with price to performance. Different flavors, if you will, but I find the AD to be a slightly better all-rounder (certainly more comfortable) than the HE-500 w/ jerg pads. Your tastes and needs may vary, of course. The open-back nature of the HE-500 can be a problems for some. It's hard to really go wrong with either. The HE-500 does sound pretty good with the alpha pads as well, but the headband still isn't super great.

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #6,708 of 9,071
I went to the Charlotte meet last weekend and Dan had the ADs running through a Cavalli Liquid Glass and Auralic DAC. It was my favorite sound at the meet!

Funny, I read more good comments about the Alpha + Liquid Glass than about Alpha + Liquid Gold !

Is the Alpha + Liquid Glass offering à better synergie despite the Gold being their TOL ? ?

Other question: anyone tested the Alpha direct out the HUGO's amp ? Good synergy ?

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #6,709 of 9,071
Funny, I read more good comments about the Alpha + Liquid Glass than about Alpha + Liquid Gold !

Is the Alpha + Liquid Glass offering à better synergie despite the Gold being their TOL ? ?

Other question: anyone tested the Alpha direct out the HUGO's amp ? Good synergy ?

Dan is going around demoing the ADs with the Liquid Glass. The LG is an incredible amp. It had an absolutely black background that none of the other tube amps at the meet could match. The music came out of nowhere with startling "next to you" type feeling. Well done tubes just inject a sort richness that is difficult to duplicate otherwise. I'm sure the Liquid Gold is a brilliant amp, I just haven't heard it.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #6,710 of 9,071
We got 2-3 weeks behind in delivery as we made the transition to gloss black from Matte, so we're around 6 weeks right now.  

The good news is we have our in house paint shop running and producing beautiful parts, and our external vendor is online so our capacity is increasing.  I'll be heading out to Axpona Thursday and since I test and fine tune the units before they ship, this will mean we have a short shipping week.  I will try to get all Alphas ordered by March 15 out before I leave Thursday, but if we don't get them before I leave we will have a large number shipping Tuesday of next week and by the end of next week our plan is to be at least to March 26 orders.

We expect to be at or below 4 weeks sometime next week.  Thanks for your patience!  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #6,711 of 9,071
We got 2-3 weeks behind in delivery as we made the transition to gloss black from Matte, so we're around 6 weeks right now.  

The good news is we have our in house paint shop running and producing beautiful parts, and our external vendor is online so our capacity is increasing.  I'll be heading out to Axpona Thursday and since I test and fine tune the units before they ship, this will mean we have a short shipping week.  I will try to get all Alphas ordered by March 15 out before I leave Thursday, but if we don't get them before I leave we will have a large number shipping Tuesday of next week and by the end of next week our plan is to be at least to March 26.

We expect to be at or below 4 weeks sometime next week.  Thanks for your patience!  

This is good to hear, my order is march 24th so my Lyr's tubes will have time to burn in before it arrives.:)

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #6,712 of 9,071
  Dan is going around demoing the ADs with the Liquid Glass. The LG is an incredible amp. It had an absolutely black background that none of the other tube amps at the meet could match. The music came out of nowhere with startling "next to you" type feeling. Well done tubes just inject a sort richness that is difficult to duplicate otherwise. I'm sure the Liquid Gold is a brilliant amp, I just haven't heard it.

thanks for your feedback

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #6,713 of 9,071
Nice update! I ordered April 8th oh please time go by faster : ] maybe I will get them before finals week which is May 12th

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #6,715 of 9,071
I've had the pleasure of spending some time with the ZMF V.1 and I'm really digging the comfort of the pilot pad. Has anyone tried ditching the leather comfort strap and using a pilot pad with the Alpha Dog? 

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #6,716 of 9,071
  I've had the pleasure of spending some time with the ZMF V.1 and I'm really digging the comfort of the pilot pad. Has anyone tried ditching the leather comfort strap and using a pilot pad with the Alpha Dog? 

thats a pretty cool option, I would really like to try it. installation look like a pain though.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #6,718 of 9,071
My brother loaned me his Hifiman HM-901 + Minibox amp card to try with the AD's... another sleepless night.  

Right off the bat just with some MP3's the sound is just so sweet.  With hi-res files, very nice synergy with the AD's.  High gain, max volume is not super loud but no distortion.  I can live with this sound but the 901 is kind of slow.  Like IBM 256k compared to today's i5 slow.  It's also big and heavy.  Small brick heavy but it is the same as strapping a DAP to a portable amp.

Aside from the physical properties of the 901, it is a great sounding match with the AD's.  For someone that does a lot of commuting and can afford to lug around the AD and a good meaty player then I would highly recommend trying out the 901+Minibox amp card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back