MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Mar 7, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #6,092 of 9,071
Hey guys,  got my Alpha Dog DIY connectors, and made an adapter from the AD connector to mini xlr's so that I could use the detachable cables that I have made in the last months.  I no a lot of you do not believe that cables make a difference but..............................The first cable I tried out was my Doubles Helix Cables Fusion, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.  The Alpha Dogs can now compete with HP's three times their price.  Peter at DHC gave me the idea from his Facebook page.  He showed a picture there of a cable that is spliced at the Y split, just like the Alpha Dog cable, something I definitely wouldn't do, but if you are fine with it, no problem.  Peter thinks that the cable upgrade brings the Alpha Dog very close in sound to the Audeze LCD3.  Now I don't have the LCD3, but Peter does, and I have been dealing with him for a few years, and I do everything he does, or suggests, and haven't been steered wrong yet.

The Alpha Dog with the DHC Fusion sounds so good, I will be selling my Beyer DT880, DT990 and T1, all 600 ohm.  I started listening from speaker taps on my Receivers and soon my tube amp.  That and my new Jolida Tube DAC with Brimar NOS CV4035's have really improved my setup ten fold.  See my profile for other gears that made all of this happen.

Really good stuff, Alpha Dogs soundstage is bigger than any of my Beyers, even with the Fusion attached to them.  Great bass, imaging/separation flawless, soundstage is taller and deeper, everything, detail, vocals is spot on.  It was just the stock cable holding me back.  Of course YMMV, if you don't believe cables make a difference.  Just giving my opinion........now on to audition the other detachable cables that I have on hand!

My Alpha Dogs sound like a very good open back design, good job Dan!

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #6,093 of 9,071
Just a tip for those of you Alpha Dog owners that would like to keep your Alpha Dog red cups looking top notch.  I Build golf clubs, and I have be using four or five coats of Liquid Glass automotive protectant on the driver, and fairway wood heads.  If any ball marks or scuffs are made, the liquid glass allows me to take a soft cloth and remove.  I have done several coats on the cups of my Alpha Dogs, makes for a hard protective finish.....of course I'm a little anal about my stuff!

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #6,094 of 9,071
Just a tip for those of you Alpha Dog owners that would like to keep you Alpha Dog red cups looking top notch.  I Build golf clubs, and I have be using four or five coats of Liquid Glass automotive protectant on the driver, and fairway wood heads.  If any ball marks or scuffs are made, the liquid glass allows me to take a soft cloth and remove.  I have done several coats on the cups of my Alpha Dogs, makes for a hard protective finish.....of course I'm a little anal about my stuff!

More about this Liquid Glass - where can I get it? Who makes it? Sounds right up my alley for keeping them nice. Any issues with the wax that Dan puts on?

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #6,095 of 9,071

Just a tip for those of you Alpha Dog owners that would like to keep you Alpha Dog red cups looking top notch.  I Build golf clubs, and I have be using four or five coats of Liquid Glass automotive protectant on the driver, and fairway wood heads.  If any ball marks or scuffs are made, the liquid glass allows me to take a soft cloth and remove.  I have done several coats on the cups of my Alpha Dogs, makes for a hard protective finish.....of course I'm a little anal about my stuff!

More about this Liquid Glass - where can I get it? Who makes it? Sounds right up my alley for keeping them nice. Any issues with the wax that Dan puts on?

You may need to Google it to find it in your area.  I have tried numerous Auto supply stores, etc, only luck I've had is from Fleet Farm here in Rochester.  Caution, it is a little spendy, but well worth it!

Just googled it, available on Amazon and Ebay!

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #6,096 of 9,071

You may need to Google it to find it in your area.  I have tried numerous Auto supply stores, etc, only luck I've had is from Fleet Farm here in Rochester.  Caution, it is a little spendy, but well worth it!

This Stuff? What is the best way to pre-clean?  We can take this to PM if you like.  Others may not care...

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #6,097 of 9,071

This Stuff? What is the best way to pre-clean?  We can take this to PM if you like.  Others may not care...

I've always just used a soft cotton cloth (old T-shirt).  Apply a couple of drops, and use a circular motion, until it is shiny.  I don't use very much!  This stuff is nanotechnology, 50 times thinner than a strand of hair.  I used to use too much and let it dry.  If you apply a very thin coat, you can let it dry, and then buff with a clean cloth.  I use an old army spit shine technique that works for me.  Four or five thin coats protects very well.  One several coats are built up, a soft cloth will rub out most scuffs!

No it doesn't make the Alpha Dogs sound any better, but a Doublehelixcables Fusion sure does!

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #6,098 of 9,071
  Hey guys,  got my Alpha Dog DIY connectors, and made an adapter from the AD connector to mini xlr's so that I could use the detachable cables that I have made in the last months.  I no a lot of you do not believe that cables make a difference but..............................The first cable I tried out was my Doubles Helix Cables Fusion, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.  The Alpha Dogs can now compete with HP's three times their price.  Peter at DHC gave me the idea from his Facebook page.  He showed a picture there of a cable that is spliced at the Y split, just like the Alpha Dog cable, something I definitely wouldn't do, but if you are fine with it, no problem.  Peter thinks that the cable upgrade brings the Alpha Dog very close in sound to the Audeze LCD3.  Now I don't have the LCD3, but Peter does, and I have been dealing with him for a few years, and I do everything he does, or suggests, and haven't been steered wrong yet.

The Alpha Dog with the DHC Fusion sounds so good, I will be selling my Beyer DT880, DT990 and T1, all 600 ohm.  I started listening from speaker taps on my Receivers and soon my tube amp.  That and my new Jolida Tube DAC with Brimar NOS CV4035's have really improved my setup ten fold.  See my profile for other gears that made all of this happen.

Really good stuff, Alpha Dogs soundstage is bigger than any of my Beyers, even with the Fusion attached to them.  Great bass, imaging/separation flawless, soundstage is taller and deeper, everything, detail, vocals is spot on.  It was just the stock cable holding me back.  Of course YMMV, if you don't believe cables make a difference.  Just giving my opinion........now on to audition the other detachable cables that I have on hand!

Hey cute, What kind of music do you listen to ? Are these headphones good for psy trance and such ?

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #6,099 of 9,071

Hey cute, What kind of music do you listen to ? Are these headphones good for psy trance and such ?

I have a variety of music, but none of the latest like edm, trance, dubstep!  Female/male vocals, celtic, jazz, new age, classical, rock, alternative.  Just got the new Beck album, sounds great, 24/96, Nora Jones and Bill Jo, Foreverly, 24/96.  Lots of Mark Knoppfler, anything that is well mastered really!  The Alpha Dogs have been great with everything, but they really rose to the top with the Fusion cable.  But, I have gears that most can't compare with, see my profile!

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #6,100 of 9,071
But, I have gears that most can't compare with, see my profile!

Cute - Is this an intentional attempt at trolling? I'm seeing an unusually large array of after market cables but no flagship phones, amps or dacs to go with them, aside from your t1s.

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #6,102 of 9,071
It is hard to understand, look like some measurements are not steady flat and mismatch left and right channels
confused_face_2.gif
. However, totally impressive for a headphone that does not have strange big curve. Really a reference headphone there.

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #6,103 of 9,071
Use Google Translate!
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpersonalaudio.ru%2Fraa%2Fotchety%2Fnaushniki%2Fmrspeakers-alpha-dog%2F

IMHO Alpha Dogs have really nice measurements. You need to compare with other headphones before you do any judgement:
http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/

:)

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #6,104 of 9,071
Yes, you are right, I should have compared to other high end headphones and funny is the Beat Pro has a really strange big curve
biggrin.gif
so that is why most professional audio guys do not like that headphone.

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #6,105 of 9,071

But, I have gears that most can't compare with, see my profile!

Cute - Is this an intentional attempt at trolling? I'm seeing an unusually large array of after market cables but no flagship phones, amps or dacs to go with them, aside from your t1s.

Great, an attorney accusing a 68 yr retired guy of trolling......you sniffed me out, LMAO!

They are not aftermarket cables, they be DIY! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back