MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Dec 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #4,351 of 9,071
This setup sounds really good. I heard it at NYC meet but I don't know which firmware version Dan has, but I tried demo pair driven straight from AK100 with 2 different firmware versions and they sound way better with latest version

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #4,352 of 9,071
This setup sounds really good. I heard it at NYC meet but I don't know which firmware version Dan has, but I tried demo pair driven straight from AK100 with 2 different firmware versions and they sound way better with latest version

There is significant difference in price between AK100 and AK120. Do you know what is the difference one can feel? Would you hear difference on AD?

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #4,353 of 9,071
I never heard AK120 but the major difference between AK100 and AK120 not longer applicable since with latest firmware AK100 also supports DSD. Also I read in Red Wine Audio that it possible to use 64GB cards with AK100 as long as it is formatted FAT32 but will be able to verify this after my unit will be back from them. If we can trust The Absolute Sound he was able to hear life difference with HD800 but he had both models at the same time for comparison otherwise he said he wouldn't be able to do it

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #4,354 of 9,071
Sorry for that... I might have defiled a little my Alpha Dogs...

Drivers look very fragile

The earcups are not so thick as one could imagine

I have decided I want to hear RH-A30 on Alpha pads...

Back view

Front view

Inner side

Dan, your Alpha Pads do magic! Normally RH-A30 are neutral or even bright sounding headphone with very strong (some would consider it harsh, and some others would say distorted) response in 6-10kHz range. With Alpha Pads RH-A30 almost becomes bass-head headphone. The bass becomes huge and treble become softer. But when it happens these headphones sound really clear, detailed and really pleasant to listen to. With Alpha Pads they are warmer than HD600, but because these are M50 drivers they are fast and very crispy (unlike HD600). It really is an at least interesting if not astonishing combo. I will definitely order spare Alpha Pads now :rolleyes:

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #4,356 of 9,071
There is significant difference in price between AK100 and AK120. Do you know what is the difference one can feel? Would you hear difference on AD?

It's worth noting that I also use the Sysconcept Toslink nano-glass cable (first time I have heard TOSLKINK that I liked, a lot).  If you take the digital out of the 100 or 120 they're identical. 

EDIT:  I also have the ALO International, which I like a lot, and I would love to get a RSA Intruder.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #4,357 of 9,071

It's worth noting that I also use the Sysconcept Toslink nano-glass cable (first time I have heard TOSLKINK that I liked, a lot).  If you take the digital out of the 100 or 120 they're identical. 

EDIT:  I also have the ALO International, which I like a lot, and I would love to get a RSA Intruder.  

How good is this output compared to, say, a Mac with a good USB DAC or converter (Audiophileo, Schiit USB, ...)?

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #4,358 of 9,071

How good is this output compared to, say, a Mac with a good USB DAC or converter (Audiophileo, Schiit USB, ...)?

Well it's Apples and Oranges to go desktop vs portable.  No question my BiFrost Uber is going to outdo the DB2, regardless of optical vs USB, but then again my BiFrost doesn't work to well at 40,000 feet. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #4,360 of 9,071
I really don't see what the debate on here concerning Paradox vs Alpha Dog is all about. If anyone had bothered to watch my video they would hear me stating that the AD is the more technically competent (better detail, extension etc) while the Paradox was the can which had the better realistic tonality. The statements I made on them were only my humble opinion and nothing more. Which can works better for the consumer depends on what they're looking for. I'm not the kind of person who does a video review for the sake of doing a this headphone is the bestest in the whole wild world. If the Paradox doesn't work for you then fair enough but for others it does. If the AD is the kind of signature someone is looking for then more power to you and congratulations on finding it.

I'm also going to excuse myself from this thread before a needless argument erupts. The way it's been going for me recently I'm finding myself excusing myself from a quarter of head-fi. No wonder certain users on here rarely bother posting their impressions. Why should they if people are looking to needlessly argue the subject?

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #4,361 of 9,071
^^^ I haven't heard the Paradox, so no comments there. Well, one - LFF seems to know a fair bit about audio and acoustics. If he likes and is proud of his headphone, I bet it is a good one,

As to your editorial comments, I unfortunately agree. I do a lot of self censoring lately also.

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #4,362 of 9,071
Guy's, it's not a competition about whose preferred product is the greatest. We're lucky to have so many people aiming to make great-value headphones.

From the Posting Guidelines:

Don't take comments personally. Just as music tastes are subjective, so is the equipment used. Much of the subjectiveness is actually a result of the different types of music people like and, consequently, how it plays back through different headphones and other equipment at different volumes.

I had the chance to listen to the Alpha Dogs while in Tokyo, and my first thought was that I'd have to spend some time adjusting to their frequency response to get a handle on them, because it was so different compared to what I was used to.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #4,363 of 9,071
  Guy's, it's not a competition about whose preferred product is the greatest. We're lucky to have so many people aiming to make great-value headphones.

From the Posting Guidelines:

I had the chance to listen to the Alpha Dogs while in Tokyo, and my first thought was that I'd have to spend some time adjusting to their frequency response to get a handle on them, because it was so different compared to what I was used to.

And this begs the question, how long are you wearing the hf before making up your opinion? I find that personally it is a 30 minute process to get my hearing relaxed enough to trust the phone itself. That's 30 minutes with no fiddling or amp changes or cable voodoo or anything else. Less than that time and I wouldn't bother to offer an opinion at all (unless they were diabolically bad out of the box).

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #4,364 of 9,071
  Less than that time and I wouldn't bother to offer an opinion at all (unless they were diabolically bad out of the box).

...or epiphany-inducing good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back