MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #2,371 of 9,071
popcorn.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #2,372 of 9,071
  Having fun testing these out! They seem more firmly in the neutral, reference camp rather than the lush, fun camp. I would imagine tuning the bass would make them more lush, but I'm leaving them in the default position.

Wow another 7520 owner! (felt like I was the only one on Head-Fi)

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #2,374 of 9,071
Sorry guys for the delay on the review. I did have some problems getting a good fit/clamp with the AD and was not getting the sub bass that I was expecting. Thank you kindly to Dan for the phenomenal support and help working through the issue. 

I've spent a few hours listening today. Let me say this, the bass has exceeded my expectations. Deep, with texture and weight. Can it hang with he400 bass? You betcha. 
wink_face.gif

More to come...

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #2,376 of 9,071
Did you add more clamp, change the bass tuning? Let me know. :wink:

You know how your last pair fit me. :frowning2:

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #2,377 of 9,071
Having fun testing these out! They seem more firmly in the neutral, reference camp rather than the lush, fun camp. I would imagine tuning the bass would make them more lush, but I'm leaving them in the default position. 

Off track: I think I am starting to appreciate the Stratus's blue... Nice pic, third eye! Look forward to your impression of the ADs :)

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #2,383 of 9,071
The 3.2 has my favorite bass out of all the planars, not because it's better than the LCD2 and HE400's bass, but because it has a longer decay and slight euphonic resonance that adds a little bit of extra fun. This is where the subjective beats the objective opinion.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #2,385 of 9,071
  Quick Overview:

Just like what happens to me every time I switch from Dynamic to Planar, sound was a bit underwhelming at first...
Letting my brain get the "hang" of it again...

I have to say, I really thought the Alpha Dogs would sound VERY similar to the Mad Dogs just with a wider stage and more air... that's not really the case based on this initial listen...
The main difference I'm listening right now (bare in mind that I have the MDs 3.0), is that the Alpha's are less warm with less bass impact and presence! Sub-bass is mostly similar but mid-bass is a bit less impactful (probably due to MD's bump and the increase stage and treble energy). Also, there seems to be another bump up a bit higher in the mids because somehow male vocals seem a bit more forward now... unless this is being brought up due to having less mid-bass impact.

Sorry guys for the delay on the review. I did have some problems getting a good fit/clamp with the AD and was not getting the sub bass that I was expecting. Thank you kindly to Dan for the phenomenal support and help working through the issue. 

I've spent a few hours listening today. Let me say this, the bass has exceeded my expectations. Deep, with texture and weight. Can it hang with he400 bass? You betcha. 
wink_face.gif

More to come...

I find the two above opinions of bass for the AD to be different experiences. That is interesting. Im pretty sure the he-400 bass bests the Mad dog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back