MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #2,417 of 2,583
I picked up a pair of AFOs from a fellow who posted a couple pages back about not enjoying these headphones. I might have to eat my words but this AFO was not burned in yet. And I'm the third owner. Seems impossible but I definitely didn't like the initial sound I was hearing. Thought they were broken or something.

25 hours later the treble smoothed out and now I'm past 200 hours and I can't keep these off of my head. It's like a hot fudge sundae for the ears.

I replaced my warm IC for something more neutral and changed gold power cable for copper. To coax a little more detail and impact out. It's really an intoxicating sound.

I believe that was me you purchased from. Glad you are enjoying the headphones. :)

Nov 2, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #2,418 of 2,583
I just purchased an AFC. Can't control myself anymore.

I only just got interested in MrSpeakers upon reading about the Ether 2. Planars that are not only light but well designed and built. Both of those are my top requirements because you will be wearing these things on your head. Of course sound quality ranks first but comfort and build have a heavy weighting when I rank headphones.

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #2,419 of 2,583
I just purchased an AFC. Can't control myself anymore.

I only just got interested in MrSpeakers upon reading about the Ether 2. Planars that are not only light but well designed and built. Both of those are my top requirements because you will be wearing these things on your head. Of course sound quality ranks first but comfort and build have a heavy weighting when I rank headphones.

Did you order the brand new AFC 2 that was just introduced?

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #2,420 of 2,583
Did you order the brand new AFC 2 that was just introduced?

No I didn't because I want to try many headphones right now before I settle on one or two. I decided to get second hand gear today so that I can sell some again without losing too much on the transaction. Plus this one I bought comes with a 12ft 4 pin XLR terminated balanced Canare 1605 cable which I would like to try. Not sure if it's a good cable or not but will find out soon.

After owning only long cables before though I'm really liking this shorter cable that comes with the AFO. I might have to take them off every now and again to reach for my cell or something but it's much tidier looking and feeling. My wife is going to go bananas when she sees a 12 foot cable snaking around the living room.

I see you have a T1 also. That's my main headphone and I'm treating myself to something warmer to pair with them.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #2,421 of 2,583
No I didn't because I want to try many headphones right now before I settle on one or two. I decided to get second hand gear today so that I can sell some again without losing too much on the transaction. Plus this one I bought comes with a 12ft 4 pin XLR terminated balanced Canare 1605 cable which I would like to try. Not sure if it's a good cable or not but will find out soon.

After owning only long cables before though I'm really liking this shorter cable that comes with the AFO. I might have to take them off every now and again to reach for my cell or something but it's much tidier looking and feeling. My wife is going to go bananas when she sees a 12 foot cable snaking around the living room.

I see you have a T1 also. That's my main headphone and I'm treating myself to something warmer to pair with them.

Nice, yeah, I'm looking at the used market, too, for an AFO, with a consideration of the new AFC 2 if I really dig the AFO much later down the road.

I just got the T1 very recently so I've not had enough head time with yet, but so far I'm really, really digging them, but yeah, they've definitely got the treble extension and air, that's for sure. I'm too fickle to have "a" favorite headphone, but the T1 are hitting up there for me because I find the bass extension to be superb and they are the detail kings out of all my headphones. Like you, I'm looking to the AFO as a complementary pair as I'm confident they won't have the same soundstage or detail.

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #2,426 of 2,583
I've been using the black inserts even on the old worn out pads, the new ear pads just added a little more width in the soundstage and more space for bass to crawl through .......didn't like the white inserts.

yeah, same here, using the black foam inserts, I found the default one-notch white filter to make the sound too... thick? I felt like the clarity was held back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back