MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #2,446 of 2,583
I got a set of these a few weeks ago. They've developed a problem with low right channel volume. When I switch the cable entries around the problem remains on the right side, so it's either the cable jack or the driver, not the cable.
Have there been any other reports of faults like this? I'm in touch with Australian supplier so hopefully they can help me out.

This usually indicates a broken driver trace and is a service issue. Our Australian distributor will help you out.

Timely post - I have just encountered the same issue with my set, which I purchased about two months ago or so. I've been in touch with the store I got them from (Minidisc) and will likely return them for...repair? Replacement? Whatever needs to be done to rectify it. It's quite annoying as it's ever so slight but enough to make the listening experience uncomfortable in a way.

Yes, this needs to come back. You can contact us directly if you're in the US. The simple service needed test is as above, if you swap the L/R cables and the problem doesn't move its the headphone. If the problem moves its the cable, amp or source.

Hello Dan,

Any plans to sell a Kit for modders to emulate the changes you made for the MD Aeon Open X? A kit that includes new paper for the drivers and the fenestrated ear pads? It would be great for Aeon Flow Open owners like me.. Thanks!

You can purchase AEON 2 Open ear pads and get a similar result to the drop. Not identical, but close.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 30, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #2,448 of 2,583
Can you help me understand the sound difference between the Aeon Flow Open and the Aeon 2? What is different about the pads?

The pads have perforations inside which helps shape the response. AFO vs A2O is covered in the A2O thread so I won't go into tons of detail, but A2O adds a lot of soundstage and more impact in the presence region, along with an overall smoother tone, with more detail retrieval.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 30, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #2,449 of 2,583
You can purchase AEON 2 Open ear pads and get a similar result to the drop. Not identical, but close.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.. With the fenestrated Aeon 2 pads only, are the perceived changes in the area of the mids and upper mids due to the measured response changes with the new pads? Does the new Paper in the Aeon X only makes a subjective hard to measure difference? Thanks!

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #2,450 of 2,583
Can you help me understand the sound difference between the Aeon Flow Open and the Aeon 2? What is different about the pads?

Cool. Ordered a pair.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #2,451 of 2,583
I am thinking about getting a pair of AFO or AFC.

Many reviews I have read/watched say the AFO has a smallish soundstage. How is the soundstage compared to HD6XX/HD650?

Do the AFC make your ears sweat and if so, how long can you listen before it happens?

I like good sub bass extension and slightly elevated bass in general with neutral mids and treble. Which would be a better option for me? I like open backs because they never make my ears sweat but not sure which to go with between AFO and AFC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #2,452 of 2,583
I don't think the AFO or AFC is the headphone for you without EQ then. There's extremely clean base that has the ability to go very low, but it's not extended or elevated in any way. I bump the bass a bit on my AFO through a Foodbar EQ when I listen to stuff like Frank Ocean - Blonde. They sound like luxury headphones and every luxury headphones I've heard doesn't have that bass rumble or extension.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #2,453 of 2,583
I don't think the AFO or AFC is the headphone for you without EQ then. There's extremely clean base that has the ability to go very low, but it's not extended or elevated in any way. I bump the bass a bit on my AFO through a Foodbar EQ when I listen to stuff like Frank Ocean - Blonde. They sound like luxury headphones and every luxury headphones I've heard doesn't have that bass rumble or extension.

Neutral bass is fine, they seem like they will have more bass than a decent amount of open headphones. Frequency graphs of them show their bass extends very well and basically a straight line as with most planars as well.

I guess my most important question is, does the AFO/AFC soundstage have more width and depth than a HD6XX? And does the AFC make your ears sweat?

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #2,454 of 2,583
Neutral bass is fine, they seem like they will have more bass than a decent amount of open headphones. Frequency graphs of them show their bass extends very well and basically a straight line as with most planars as well.

I guess my most important question is, does the AFO/AFC soundstage have more width and depth than a HD6XX? And does the AFC make your ears sweat?

Yea AFO has some great sounding bass in my opinion and one of the reasons I upgraded from a HD6XX. Especially when listening to them at normal / loud volume the low end comes to life. In my experience HD6XX has a slight edge on sound-stage, though it's not something you feel like you miss out on with the AFO. The benefits of the AFO vs the HD6XX outweigh it. I've worn the headphone for 10 hours straight so far (crazy study session) and had no sweating. The pads are very nice. Though it hasn't been sweltering hot here yet.

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #2,455 of 2,583
Yea AFO has some great sounding bass in my opinion and one of the reasons I upgraded from a HD6XX. Especially when listening to them at normal / loud volume the low end comes to life. In my experience HD6XX has a slight edge on sound-stage, though it's not something you feel like you miss out on with the AFO. The benefits of the AFO vs the HD6XX outweigh it. I've worn the headphone for 10 hours straight so far (crazy study session) and had no sweating. The pads are very nice. Though it hasn't been sweltering hot here yet.

Thanks for the info!

Jan 9, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #2,456 of 2,583
Hmm, so the AFO has more bass quantity than the HD6xx?

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #2,458 of 2,583
Just picked up a pair of Aeon Flow Opens. Letting them run all night and day today while I'm at work.

Plugged into my Luxman L550AXii, they sounded pretty meh. Lifeless, no dynamics, little fuzzy.. I honestly panicked a bit.

However, they were much better plugged directly into the Auralic Vega G1. Punchy, alive, detailed..

Any ideas why the Luxman/Aeon combo may not work? I reached out to Luxman, and as usual they responded promptly. They said the headphone out runs on the main amplifier output stage, and that it was designed to handle loads between 4 and 16ohms, the Aeons are 13ohms. They were going to reach back out to Japan for any additional information, so I'll see what comes of that.

I read somewhere (Luxman L-509X integrated amplifier Measurements ) that one of the other Luxman models headphone output tested at 800 ohm.. which with my limited knowledge of these things may cause an issue with such a low impedance headphone?

Just curious if anyone here may have any ideas.

Jan 22, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #2,459 of 2,583
Howdy neighbor,

I'm not familiar with that particular integrated amp, but I know the head out on most receivers/integrated are hit & miss, I've heard they're even an afterthought in many cases. I imagine most are optimized for dynamics rather than planars as well.

Vintage receivers often had better outputs, but nowadays not as much. Again that's just from reading, not personal experience so grain of salt & all that. I'm no circuit wiz, so someone with a bit more experience will hopefully chime in. Either way, good luck. I've only heard the AFO in demos, but when driven properly they really sound beautiful to my ear...good luck!

Jan 22, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #2,460 of 2,583
Howdy neighbor,

I'm not familiar with that particular integrated amp, but I know the head out on most receivers/integrated are hit & miss, I've heard they're even an afterthought in many cases. I imagine most are optimized for dynamics rather than planars as well.

Vintage receivers often had better outputs, but nowadays not as much. Again that's just from reading, not personal experience so grain of salt & all that. I'm no circuit wiz, so someone with a bit more experience will hopefully chime in. Either way, good luck. I've only heard the AFO in demos, but when driven properly they really sound beautiful to my ear...good luck!

Hey neighbor!!

Well, after a lot of reading up today, I've decided if I'm going down this road of building a headphone system, I'll need a headphone amp. So I ordered a Schitt Jotunheim to pair with the AFO's. I have seen quite a few people here using either the Jotunheim or the Lyre.

I've started to build this system because my main system (Luxman l550axii with Klipsch Forte III's) is driving everyone in my house a little crazy with long listening sessions.

Looking forward to dipping my toes in the HP arena.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back