MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #2,461 of 2,583
Hey neighbor!!

Well, after a lot of reading up today, I've decided if I'm going down this road of building a headphone system, I'll need a headphone amp. So I ordered a Schitt Jotunheim to pair with the AFO's. I have seen quite a few people here using either the Jotunheim or the Lyre.

I've started to build this system because my main system (Luxman l550axii with Klipsch Forte III's) is driving everyone in my house a little crazy with long listening sessions.

Looking forward to dipping my toes in the HP arena.
From all accounts that is supposed to be a good pairing (My too brief demos were on a Jot & I loved it). Enjoy!!

Edit: PM if you ever have any questions I can be of help with...being neighbors & all. Cheers!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #2,465 of 2,583
What's a top solid state/hybrid amp for use with the AFO and the audeze LCD2C? Budget up to $600
Thankyou

I have been recommending the Gilmore Lite Mk2 or the Lyre 3 a lot, and people seem to respond well to both these. Gilmore is more solid bass and super clarity in treble, Lyre 3 more tonally balanced and nice soundstage with a good tube in it.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 24, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #2,467 of 2,583
Would anyone know what I should be using to wipe the stock pads clean/keep them conditioned?
Thanks

a microfiber cloth with a little water to dampen it is best. No cleaners or enhancers, that will degrade the surface.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 1, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #2,471 of 2,583
I just got the perforated pads for the AFO. I'm actually surprised by how much they change the sound signature. I'm really enjoying the increased detail, slightly wider soundstage, and forward mids. The bass seems a bit less, but it's hard to tell. I like both pad sound signatures, but for now it's really fun to hear a different voicing to one of my all time favorite headphones.

@mrspeakers I would definitely be interested in a pad swapping system like with Ether 2 for the Aeon series to be able go back and forth.

Mar 2, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #2,472 of 2,583
I just got the perforated pads for the AFO. I'm actually surprised by how much they change the sound signature. I'm really enjoying the increased detail, slightly wider soundstage, and forward mids. The bass seems a bit less, but it's hard to tell. I like both pad sound signatures, but for now it's really fun to hear a different voicing to one of my all time favorite headphones.

@mrspeakers I would definitely be interested in a pad swapping system like with Ether 2 for the Aeon series to be able go back and forth.

We will roll this out once China is back online and we can restock pad inventory. Right now supplies are very disrupted and we're keeping all pad stock on hand for headphone production. The system will work with all current headphones so there's no worry about compatibility.

Mar 7, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #2,473 of 2,583

Interesting , which part of the bass sounds less like the midbass or sub bass region. Can u hear more of ambient noise with the perforated pads?

Mar 7, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #2,474 of 2,583
It’s hard to be super precise without being able to rapidly switch the two pads back-and-forth.

Overall, it feels like there’s slightly less midbass, leading to more definition in the mids. Soundstage is a bit wider and it might be a slightly brighter presentation. Subbase feels about the same.

No change in ambient sounds, but these are open headphones and I don’t get much of a sense of isolation from them anyway.

Mar 10, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #2,475 of 2,583
It’s hard to be super precise without being able to rapidly switch the two pads back-and-forth.

Overall, it feels like there’s slightly less midbass, leading to more definition in the mids. Soundstage is a bit wider and it might be a slightly brighter presentation. Subbase feels about the same.

No change in ambient sounds, but these are open headphones and I don’t get much of a sense of isolation from them anyway.
Seems like a match for me. Imho these isolate more like semi open , there is definitely ambient noise attenuation compared to more open cans like hifiman arya or dt 990s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back