MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #2,281 of 2,583
Most tube gear has high and low output impedance settings, the question is what does the specific amp call high or low? If the low is anywhere from 8-45 ohms it's probably OK if there's reasonable power output. Higher than that is hit or miss.
Very nice support!!
If with output transformers, it would be ideally good to have secondary taps between 8-16 Ohms for the Aeons.. If the amp is designed well, I see no problems.. IMO.

Thanks for the support.

I am waiting for a WA6 which on its way. It has low gain settings so I would imagine it would play nice with AFC! I will report back once I get hold of my AFC and put time time on them.

Apr 5, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #2,282 of 2,583
Haven’t listened to my AFOs for a while. Isn’t it interesting how sometimes you stop listening to a pair for a while, then listen to it again and remember why you got it in the first place? Just a fantastic sounding headphone. For those of you who enjoy the Allman brothers: Part of their Master recordings on Tidal-

https://tidal.com/track/79421810

Apr 5, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #2,283 of 2,583
Got my AFC today and loving them. Exactly what I was hoping for; a comfortable and relaxing listen.

Is there any video explaining in detail how to solder the evalucon connectors? I got the pin layout but not sure on deassembling the connector core to access the solder points.
I could not find any specific info anywhere in the internet except for the evalucon site which have me a good idea on how to do the soldering; but all I have now is a connector. Cannot access the soldering points yet.

Update: figured it out :)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #2,284 of 2,583
1-Main Pic.jpg

My text review of both versions of Æon: https://porta.fi/mrspeakers-aeon-flow-review-open-and-closed/
Russian version: https://porta.fi/ru/obzor-naushnikov-mrspeakers-aeon-flow-i-otkrytye-i-zakrytye/

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #2,285 of 2,583
Apr 27, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #2,287 of 2,583
I´m thinking about getting the AFO. I previously had Hifiman Edition X V2. I really liked their smooth character and expansive soundstage. But they totally lacked something like dynamic punch and also leaked sound like speakers. After some research I found that AFO should have similar signature like HEX2 but with more dynamism and less leakage?

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #2,288 of 2,583
Just got my AFO's in today and I'm convinced I've found my goldilock headphones! Their imaging is superb and the smoothness of the mids is on par with the 650 without getting overly lush like the Atticus or LCD 2. The treble is splashy like I like it and the micro-detail is really something - I've heard micro-detail from the Auteurs, HD800s, ELears but just the nuances such as the hum from a tube amp from Steve Lacy's new single or the wish-wash effect of Kali Uchis voice in "F'ing Young" by Tyler the Creator or the after glow from the guitars in "Boredom" from Flowerboy are just superb. I get spooked sometimes I put these on and close my eyes - their background is really black and immersive. I plan on upgrading my entire frontend to see how much I can max these cans but I'm so happy with them. They look stunning and they're the lightest top end cans I've owned with a solid finish. I feel like a lot of companies either have to find ways to work around their weight or they use cheap materials to compensate - Dan did neither with these. I've never fallen in love with a set of cans so fast! Happy I chose these over the more neutral (albeit boring) Closed. Will update this with more detailed comparisons later on.

May 14, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #2,289 of 2,583
if im looking for an upgrade to my hd6xx/650, would the aeon flow open or lcd2c be better, if what im looking for in an upgrade is more bass/sub bass and better sound stage/imaging, and relatively the same amount of treble as the hd6xx/650 since i dont like alot of treble like my dt 990 has

i use my headphones for everything, so music (mostly edm but i listen to alot of other types too), games and movies

my amp that i have is the schiit magni 3

please and thanks

from asking around and researching i think the lcd2c would be what i am after, but i have not researched the aeon flow open

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #2,291 of 2,583
if im looking for an upgrade to my hd6xx/650, would the aeon flow open or lcd2c be better, if what im looking for in an upgrade is more bass/sub bass and better sound stage/imaging, and relatively the same amount of treble as the hd6xx/650 since i dont like alot of treble like my dt 990 has

i use my headphones for everything, so music (mostly edm but i listen to alot of other types too), games and movies

please and thanks

from asking around and researching i think the lcd2c would be what i am after, but i have not researched the aeon flow open
As always, try and audition IRL.

From my experience, the full-sized Audezes are simply too dark for my liking - even the more 'neutral' LCD-X.

The Aeon Flow Open has almost replaced my HD650's as my relaxing, and romantic-sounding pair of cans. The soundstage is definitely intimate.

IMHO the weight and comfort benefit over the LCD's makes them an easy recommendation. Also, the included filters make tuning the sound to your preference pretty simple, and they're also easily EQ'd.

May 14, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #2,292 of 2,583

please and thanks

The Focal Elex is what you may be looking for. I don't own an HD6xx but the measurements do show that it may suit your needs

May 20, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #2,294 of 2,583

please and thanks

Interesting choice. The AFO doesn’t have the super awesome low end of the LCD2C but the LCD2C doesn’t have the detail and clarity of the AFO. If your primary reason for switching is the bass, then either will be an improvement over the 650, but the LCD2C will have the best low end. My personal preference here is the AFO because while the low end isn’t quite as good, the detail and clarity allow you to hear stuff you won’t hear with the 650 or the LCD2C. However in my experience the AFO does not pair well with the Magni 3.

As someone else said, I’d also look at the Elex. It’s not got quite the sub-bass reach of the LCD2C or the detail of the AFO, but it is much more dynamic and in my opinion the best imaging of the 3.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #2,295 of 2,583

please and thanks

Given you like EDM, and for sub bass and imaging.. the short answer would be LCD2C. I went through from an Oppo PM3 through HE4xx, AFC, AFO, Aiva and have now landed on LCD2c and HEXv2.
The main differences in my opinion are:
- Both have a somewhat dark character
- The AFO is very polite, and has some bass bloom (I used to suppress 100-160Hz a little, but lift sub 90 Hz).
- The LCD2c is very dynamic, with a superbly deep and controlled bass. It has a dip somewhere around 5kHz where sounds go missing, but otherwise it's pretty neutral.
- The soundstage experience I think is highly personal, the LCD2c has the 'blob' left/right that many describe, but it's character is more spacious and open than the AFO, with really good depth comparatively.
- The AFO needs a good amp to sound good, the LCD2c still benefit but it's not as dramatic. Both respond to a good (tube) amp and EQ very well.
Personally I love the dynamics and impact of the LCD2c - it sounds lively and real. This is not everyone's choice though!. If I do go mellow, with harmonising vocals and easy listening, I'd still go HEXv2 over AFO..the HEXv2 has a large soundstage. The only plus for AFO to me is in an office environment as they're not as leaky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back