MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #2,251 of 2,583
Yep, interesting !

EDIT: I've played a couple of tracks I know well as a bass test, and I'm finding there is more of a warm bloom on the bass ... depends on personal preference, as ever

I also hear this big bass bloom - I downloaded the trial and with the following set up: Lyr 3 -> Brimar 6SN7GT -> MBP - True-Fi (age: 44; gender: male; lower volume to avoid clipping: on) -> AFO (single white filter) I found that there was a huge improvement, at least what I mean is that I really enjoyed the flavour of the changes - especially improvements to the sub and mid bass - in fact, in the personalisation window (where it holds age and gender information) there is also an 'Adjust Bass' feature which was set to +8db (and which I haven't changed) which probably has something to do with it.

I found the sound to be fuller and richer with blooming bass (going noticeably lower too or at least the low is more prominent) and better timbre.

I like it so much I'm debating buying the full license.

Incidentally, I don't have True Fi coming through any other software - it's just sat there on its own.

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #2,252 of 2,583
I added more bass in the low end 2db in Fabfilter Pro and bass 4db in Truefi and 49 yo adj for age with 15 for that. Sounds fantastic now. Think me ears and brain needed a little adjustment period for the AFO profile.

Mar 18, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #2,253 of 2,583
Think me ears and brain needed a little adjustment period for the AFO profile.

Totally agree with that ... after similar adjustments, it's just about right for me. Can't imagine not using it now. Ageing ears is a terrible thing, but needs must !

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #2,254 of 2,583
Glad some of you are enjoying the Sonarworks! We thought it would at least be an interesting exercise. :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 21, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #2,255 of 2,583
I’m looking for a super comfortable headphone with a musical and engaging sound.

Too bad I have sold my X2 because I have bought a Kennerton Vali, a very dynamic and punchy headphone but sadly comfort is not great and I can’t completely immerse into the music as I did with my X2.

So I’m thinking to buy again a X2 or maybe the AFO : has someone compared both ? Depending of the reviews, I can’t completely have a sense of the AFO sound.

Mar 21, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #2,258 of 2,583
Wait, does this mean you sent Sonarworks the headphones yourself? If so, good man! I wish I could give you a big hug.

Yes... I had gone to their initial demo last year and thought it might be interesting for people. They wanted a lot of units to measure so we arranged some loaners at CanJam NY.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #2,260 of 2,583
That is above and beyond. I just became an even bigger fan of yours, and also a customer of Sonarworks. Thanks!

:)

In all honesty I have to give them credit for their persistence, we were not as responsive as we should have been, but we got there! Small companies working together sometimes is a bit of a dance...

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #2,261 of 2,583
Good to hear ... I for one am glad that my ageing ears are given the opportunity to hear what I should be hearing ...
OT, I know ... but is there a chance that any of the other MrSpeakers HP's might be given the same treatment ... e.g. ETHER 2 ?

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #2,262 of 2,583
Just a heads up: The Flows are not compatible with the Pro-ject Pre Box SD2. There is distortion that sounds like overdriving that is not present with my HD650's. Impedance mismatch. Adjusting volume levels does not solve the problem.

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #2,264 of 2,583
Just got the Aeon Flow Open today. Since more four years I am loving the Alpha Primes more than any other headphones. Nevertheless, sometimes I am alone at home and free to listen with an open system. So, let us try to find out the differences in weight, wearing comfort, sound impression and width of soundstage.

Electrical partners will be Violectric HPA V90 and a small tube amp which could be used for speakers and headphones, Mr. Nixie STC II (sorry, description is not available in English language: http://nixiekits.eu/product.php?key=stc_mkII_pa )

Coming back to the Aeon, directly out of the box. First impression is that it fits to my head immaculately, feels remarkable lighter around head and ears than the Prime (is it a wonder?...no). A little difficulties with adjustment of the correct fit will disappear over time. And the wonder is that it sounds from first moment fresh, with a great stage and soundful and without any doubts: MrSpeakers´ sound is my sound.

It´s clear that the cans will need some time to develop their complete gorgeousness...Primes needed more than 50 hours juggling with sound adjustment. I expect nothing else than another great experience with the Aeon. I stay on track....

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #2,265 of 2,583
Just a heads up: The Flows are not compatible with the Pro-ject Pre Box SD2. There is distortion that sounds like overdriving that is not present with my HD650's. Impedance mismatch. Adjusting volume levels does not solve the problem.

I know of this from one other vendor who had an amp that went into oscillation with the AEON, the manufacturer said it was their issue and they redesigned the amp circuit to adjust the poles. If it's at all volumes on a solid state device it's more likely an unstable amp circuit into low impedance loads. The other amp was supposed to provide over a watt into AEON, but sounded clipped almost at all volumes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back