MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
May 21, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #2,296 of 2,583
What the Aeon does well is to has a nice tonality apart from the upper mids. It's like they're smooth then all of a sudden the singer is screeching at you so comes across very unbalanced.

They also lack dynamics compared to the 2C. The 2C is very quick, impactful where as the Aeon sounds like everything is playing at the same volume so it ends up tripping over itself.

I would favour the HD650 over the Aeon it does that tonality correct while being more resolving. The 2C is a different animal altogether to really be a HD650 alternative.

May 21, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #2,297 of 2,583
What the Aeon does well is to has a nice tonality apart from the upper mids. It's like they're smooth then all of a sudden the singer is screeching at you so comes across very unbalanced.

They also lack dynamics compared to the 2C. The 2C is very quick, impactful where as the Aeon sounds like everything is playing at the same volume so it ends up tripping over itself.

I would favour the HD650 over the Aeon it does that tonality correct while being more resolving. The 2C is a different animal altogether to really be a HD650 alternative.

My HD650's went to my kids. Actually should have gone in the bin.
I bought them as they are often talked about. Ended up being the most over rated HP's I have listen to.

Even the kids don't like them.

May 22, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #2,298 of 2,583
My HD650's went to my kids. Actually should have gone in the bin.
I bought them as they are often talked about. Ended up being the most over rated HP's I have listen to.

Even the kids don't like them.

The HD650 was the first headphone I owned that I disliked enough to sell (in favor of HD600). I now unfortunately never pick up the 600 when the 660S is sitting next to it. It's such a classic, though, I don't think I could sell it.

And I'll be more likely to reach for the Aeon Flow than the 660S.

May 27, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #2,299 of 2,583
May 29, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #2,302 of 2,583
I'm looking for a headphone upgrade and I'm strongly considering the Aeon Flow Open. I was considering the LCD2 Classic but I'm starting to feel like the Aeon Flow might be a better fit.

My current gear is the HD650 with a Schiit Asgard 2 and Modi 2 Uber. I'm not planning on upgrading the amp or dac at this time. I've also been using the Audeze Mobius pretty extensively as it's a really cool piece of tech.

I've seen some pretty conflicting information about the AFO being an upgrade to the HD650. I've read some respected reviews saying it's an upgrade, and some views saying it's too different to be considered an upgrade. I haven't listened to the Aeon Flow yet so I can't say for sure, but the common reviews and impressions I've read would lead me to believe it does share characteristics with the 650, but does them a little better. Example would be that it's a smooth sounding warm headphone like the 650, but with better detail on the high end and better bass response on the low end. This sounds like a perfect scenario to me, add to that the universal acclaim for AFO's comfort and it sounds like a very desirable option.

I listen to all types of music really, so I don't really need anything specific to one genre. I understand the LCD2C is top of the line in its price point when it comes to bass. This use to be an extreme draw for me, but as I've started to listen to more genres of music I feel like it's become less important to be a bass centric headphone (not necessarily saying the 2C is bass centric, just that it has good bass).

The Aeon Flow Open also comes in slightly cheaper then the LCD2C (about $100) so there's also that.

Does this seem like a good option? Any advice is welcome. This will be far and away my most expensive purchase when it comes to headphones and is at the very top of my price range. This is end game level for me, so it's an important decision I'm considering

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #2,303 of 2,583
I'm looking for a headphone upgrade and I'm strongly considering the Aeon Flow Open. I was considering the LCD2 Classic but I'm starting to feel like the Aeon Flow might be a better fit.

My current gear is the HD650 with a Schiit Asgard 2 and Modi 2 Uber. I'm not planning on upgrading the amp or dac at this time. I've also been using the Audeze Mobius pretty extensively as it's a really cool piece of tech.

I've seen some pretty conflicting information about the AFO being an upgrade to the HD650. I've read some respected reviews saying it's an upgrade, and some views saying it's too different to be considered an upgrade. I haven't listened to the Aeon Flow yet so I can't say for sure, but the common reviews and impressions I've read would lead me to believe it does share characteristics with the 650, but does them a little better. Example would be that it's a smooth sounding warm headphone like the 650, but with better detail on the high end and better bass response on the low end. This sounds like a perfect scenario to me, add to that the universal acclaim for AFO's comfort and it sounds like a very desirable option.

I listen to all types of music really, so I don't really need anything specific to one genre. I understand the LCD2C is top of the line in its price point when it comes to bass. This use to be an extreme draw for me, but as I've started to listen to more genres of music I feel like it's become less important to be a bass centric headphone (not necessarily saying the 2C is bass centric, just that it has good bass).

The Aeon Flow Open also comes in slightly cheaper then the LCD2C (about $100) so there's also that.

Does this seem like a good option? my advice is welcome. This will be far and away my most expensive purchase when it comes to headphones and is at the very top of my price range. This is end game level for me, so it's an important decision I'm considering

I have owned both. Sold my AFO and currently have LCD-2 classics. While I am not qualified to provide audiophile level reviews of these separate headphones, I'll give you my layman's thoughts. First of all, both are awesome so you simply cannot go wrong with either. So the good news is if you go with AFO, I think you will love them. My preference was for the LCD2-C. To me, they are the more dynamic and exciting headphone. While they are a bit laid back, the bass is amazing and is a showstopper. It's not overwhelming and many folks use something like a Loki and add a little bass boost but it goes LOW and hits hard and fast. The AFO by comparison, while excellent, seemed a little boring. An audiophile would probably say that it's more neutral than the classics so that may be the intended result. It's possible that the AFO required more power than I was using (Magni 3) as I have read others state that it needs a higher end amp to shine. The Classics run great with my Magni and have tons of power. So, in short, you can't loose. If you want something with a little warmth, bass slam and a bit more dynamic, consider the Classic. If you want something neutral but with more bass than the 650, the AFO might be your better pick. Others may have different views. Good luck with your hunt.

May 29, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #2,304 of 2,583
I have owned both. Sold my AFO and currently have LCD-2 classics. While I am not qualified to provide audiophile level reviews of these separate headphones, I'll give you my layman's thoughts. First of all, both are awesome so you simply cannot go wrong with either. So the good news is if you go with AFO, I think you will love them. My preference was for the LCD2-C. To me, they are the more dynamic and exciting headphone. While they are a bit laid back, the bass is amazing and is a showstopper. It's not overwhelming and many folks use something like a Loki and add a little bass boost but it goes LOW and hits hard and fast. The AFO by comparison, while excellent, seemed a little boring. An audiophile would probably say that it's more neutral than the classics so that may be the intended result. It's possible that the AFO required more power than I was using (Magni 3) as I have read others state that it needs a higher end amp to shine. The Classics run great with my Magni and have tons of power. So, in short, you can't loose. If you want something with a little warmth, bass slam and a bit more dynamic, consider the Classic. If you want something neutral but with more bass than the 650, the AFO might be your better pick. Others may have different views. Good luck with your hunt.

Really appreciate the response. I don't consider myself an audiophile really, I don't have the knowledge or experience (or money ) so layman's response is valuable to me for sure.

May 29, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #2,305 of 2,583

My experience with the AFO and Magni 3 was the amp had enough power but the combo sounded a little metallic and didn’t quite deliver the detail the AFO is capable of with a higher end amp. It wasn’t horrible, but it didn’t really show what the AFO could do. That said, the LCD classic really does have amazing bass. The AFO beats it for detail and clarity, but definitely not on the bottom end.

May 29, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #2,306 of 2,583
My experience with the AFO and Magni 3 was the amp had enough power but the combo sounded a little metallic and didn’t quite deliver the detail the AFO is capable of with a higher end amp. It wasn’t horrible, but it didn’t really show what the AFO could do. That said, the LCD classic really does have amazing bass. The AFO beats it for detail and clarity, but definitely not on the bottom end.

Sounds right. When I bought my AFO, I messaged Mr. Speakers here and asked for recommendations. The recommendations were all out of my budget and I got the impression that they believed a higher end amp was needed. Nothing wrong with that of course but it might be something to consider in purchasing an AFO.

May 29, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #2,307 of 2,583

Does this seem like a good option? Any advice is welcome. This will be far and away my most expensive purchase when it comes to headphones and is at the very top of my price range. This is end game level for me, so it's an important decision I'm considering

There are lots of reviews out there, and I'm sure you've come across most of them. The one's I've found most helpful around these two headphones were on earphiles, which is @grizzlybeast 's website.

In case you haven't read them, I think you'll get some good info:
http://earphiles.org/2018/02/audeze-lcd2c-review/
http://earphiles.org/2017/11/mr-speakers-aeon-flow-open-review/

May 29, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #2,308 of 2,583
There are lots of reviews out there, and I'm sure you've come across most of them. The one's I've found most helpful around these two headphones were on earphiles, which is @grizzlybeast 's website.

I mostly agree with his take on the AFO, though where I disagree may be due to a good amp pairing on my part. With a Lyr 3 the headphone opens up and is more detailed than I think the author experienced and avoids the metallic sound I hear in some other amps. That said, he’s definitely right about the soundstage. Not the AFO’s strength.

May 29, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #2,309 of 2,583

Thanks for the links, I haven't seen this site before.

I have to read through the Audeze review still but the AFO sounds great. I'm ok with the lack of soundstage on them, it's not a priority for what I listen to and what these will be used for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back