MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #1,111 of 2,583
Hey i have interest in this headphones, i have the HE400i, Grado sr325e and Sennheiser HD558, i am looking to an upgrade, i want a wider soundstage and a good detailed treble, not exactly bright but it has to have a spark up there, bass as long it is ok i don't mind it.

Based on my requirements the Aeon Flow Open are appropriate for me, or should i look somewhere else?
Soundstage is not wide at all on these headphones they sound quite closed for an open back and while the treble is well detailed it's not very up front. These are a warm intimate pair of headphones and I would look elsewhere for a wide soundstage and sparkly treble. I would suggest getting a pair of hd800s if u can afford them, those are exactly what you're looking for. beyerdynamic dt 1990 pro also fits the bill and msrps at only $600

Jan 17, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,113 of 2,583
We have started to carry the Gilmore Lite mk2 by Headamp in our online store, it's a wonderful piece of solid state gear that has a "tubes with no noise" vibe. It uses a single-ended version of the GX2 amp, and really gives a great high-end sound. Not at all bright, too, and works really well with almost any load I've thrown at it. The bottom end weight is reminiscent of the higher end Cavalli amps, but the highs are really detailed and not at all etched or bright. Very easy on the ears, very lifelike sounding.

For anyone who might be on the fence, or just want another opinion... I auditioned the Gilmore Lite mk2 at RMAF (some 3 months ago) with AFO, AFC and other non-Mr. Speakers headphones, and immediately fell in love with the sound! Dan's description is dead-on, so no point in repeating it. Very accurate description of what I am hearing, too.
Long story short, I am the proud owner of the Gilmore Lite mk2 serial # 0001, hand-carried home from RMAF :wink:
HIGHLY recommended in general, and with Mr. Speakers headphones in particular!

These posts really caught my eye since I have been driving myself crazy trying to find a small high quality Amp.

Love the looks and the size of the Gilmore Lite MK2.

I need the power to drive my Senn HD600's and the AFO only at this time.

Can anyone in this thread recommend a small DAC to go with the Gilmore. I will primarily be using my iPhone with CD's ripped in ALAC and or a CD Player.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #1,115 of 2,583
The Schiit Modi Multibit is a superb little DAC that would pair well with the Gilmore IMO, and at $250 it won't break the bank either.

I second this recommendation. You can even find a used Mimby in the For Sale forum for around $200 shipped. Killer DAC for the price.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #1,116 of 2,583
I want a wider soundstage and a good detailed treble, not exactly bright but it has to have a spark up there, bass as long it is ok i don't mind it.

You should look into AKG headphones. The AKG K701 or K702 have width and sparkle. The K7XX has a lot of that, maybe a bit less soundstage in exchange for more bass, but not bass heavy at all.

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #1,117 of 2,583
Soundstage is not the strongest point of the AFO. Perhaps you should look at the HiFiMan Edition X V2, nonetheless, they're more expensive.

If soundstage is your priority, I second the opinion of the AKG 7XX. I demoed them and they're really wide!. Actually, I think they're now on Massdrop and the good thing about them is that they ship outside the US.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #1,118 of 2,583
Hey i have interest in this headphones, i have the HE400i, Grado sr325e and Sennheiser HD558, i am looking to an upgrade, i want a wider soundstage and a good detailed treble, not exactly bright but it has to have a spark up there, bass as long it is ok i don't mind it.

Based on my requirements the Aeon Flow Open are appropriate for me, or should i look somewhere else?

Soundstage is not wide at all on these headphones they sound quite closed for an open back and while the treble is well detailed it's not very up front. These are a warm intimate pair of headphones and I would look elsewhere for a wide soundstage and sparkly treble. I would suggest getting a pair of hd800s if u can afford them, those are exactly what you're looking for. beyerdynamic dt 1990 pro also fits the bill and msrps at only $600

I agree with King CATalyst, the AFO is not for you as you describe your needs. I also agree the HD800s and DT1990 probably fit your bill. Another contender: My personal preference is the T1.2 over the HD800s. If you want the widest soundstage out there, go for the HD800s. If a somewhat smaller soundstage (compared to HD800s, but wider than most other headphones!) is ok for you then look into Beyerdynamic's T1.2. IMO it is a bit more balanced than the HD800s, very resolving treble, but more bass extension (obviously still not a basshead can) and more musical. Like the HD800s, it is a bit difficult to drive and scales very well with a good amp (which might be an advantage or disadvantage depending on how you want to use it and your budget).

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,119 of 2,583
Focal Clear does not have expansive headstage as well. It has similar headstage to afo in terms of both width and depth. Is this new trend?

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #1,120 of 2,583
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 18, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #1,122 of 2,583
I agree with King CATalyst, the AFO is not for you as you describe your needs. I also agree the HD800s and DT1990 probably fit your bill. Another contender: My personal preference is the T1.2 over the HD800s. If you want the widest soundstage out there, go for the HD800s. If a somewhat smaller soundstage (compared to HD800s, but wider than most other headphones!) is ok for you then look into Beyerdynamic's T1.2. IMO it is a bit more balanced than the HD800s, very resolving treble, but more bass extension (obviously still not a basshead can) and more musical. Like the HD800s, it is a bit difficult to drive and scales very well with a good amp (which might be an advantage or disadvantage depending on how you want to use it and your budget).
Soundstage is not the strongest point of the AFO. Perhaps you should look at the HiFiMan Edition X V2, nonetheless, they're more expensive.

If soundstage is your priority, I second the opinion of the AKG 7XX. I demoed them and they're really wide!. Actually, I think they're now on Massdrop and the good thing about them is that they ship outside the US.

Thanks for the suggestions, my setup consists of a Fiio E10K which i use as a DAC only (will replace with a Schiit Modi) and a Schiit Magni 2, from the sugestions you gave me i think i would like the HD800 more, but maybe the Schiit Magni 2 is not enough to drive them to their best, i will try to make those my next pair so i can get out of midfi hell, i was hoping that the flow opens were that ticket, do you think the HD800 are a clear upgrade? i am looking to stop doing sidegrades.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #1,123 of 2,583
Thanks for the suggestions, my setup consists of a Fiio E10K which i use as a DAC only (will replace with a Schiit Modi) and a Schiit Magni 2, from the sugestions you gave me i think i would like the HD800 more, but maybe the Schiit Magni 2 is not enough to drive them to their best, i will try to make those my next pair so i can get out of midfi hell, i was hoping that the flow opens were that ticket, do you think the HD800 are a clear upgrade? i am looking to stop doing sidegrades.
What headphones have you owned/heard? You say you want a wide soundstage, but that varies depending on each person's frame of reference. These things are all relative. Do you have a way to audition gear?

And, keep in mind that more $$ does not equal upgrade. The HD650 is a testament to this.

Also, never sacrifice tonality for the sake of soundstage. You might like the HD800. You may also hate it. I'm always amazed by the 800s technicalities, but would never want to listen to it on a daily basis. So on and so forth...

You may be better off asking in an all purpose advice thread if the conversation continues to shift away from the AFO. Don't want to take this thread too far off topic...

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #1,124 of 2,583
What headphones have you owned/heard? You say you want a wide soundstage, but that varies depending on each person's frame of reference. These things are all relative. Do you have a way to audition gear?

And, keep in mind that more $$ does not equal upgrade. The HD650 is a testament to this.

Also, never sacrifice tonality for the sake of soundstage. You might like the HD800. You may also hate it. I'm always amazed by the 800s technicalities, but would never want to listen to it on a daily basis. So on and so forth...

You may be better off asking in an all purpose advice thread if the conversation continues to shift away from the AFO. Don't want to take this thread too far off topic...

I have had the Superlux HD668b Hifiman HE400i, Hifiman HE350, Sennheiser HD558, Grado SR325e and BeyerDynamic DT990pro, and yeah i'm sorry for switching the topic so wildly.

Jan 19, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #1,125 of 2,583
@Selfish Android That's quite the lineup. Which of those did you gravitate towards and why?

For the record, I was one that criticized the soundstage of the AFO. Now that I've acclimated it's a complete non-issue (with no tuning filters in place), especially in light of everything else it does well. If you really care about soundstage above all else, then listen to speakers.

When I was listening last night (up past my bedtime again because I can't seem to put them down), I had a moment where I forgot I was listening to headphones. It was complete and total immersion into the music with no conscious thought of anything else. In short, the obsession most of us feel to be constantly analyzing gear rather than music had vanished and I was 100% there in the experience.

I can't give these headphones any higher compliment than that.

If that's not what we're after in this hobby, then I don't know what the point is. Time to delete some audio bookmarks from my browser and be content where I am.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back