MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #1,126 of 2,583
I agree (well said). The AFOs are what they are...planars under a grand. I’ve had them just shy of a month...keepers in my view. Best?...it’s contingent upon the flavor in ‘your’ ear. I had to listen to these in isolation to appreciate what they offer. I think they are a wonderful medium/vessel to ‘listen’ to music...worry free of wondering about other gear. If I had one word to describe them it would be sublime. Really think anyone bearing interest in these or curious about ‘em...focus on how they impart the music before drawing any conclusions. But to each his own...you know.

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #1,127 of 2,583
@Selfish Android That's quite the lineup. Which of those did you gravitate towards and why?

For the record, I was one that criticized the soundstage of the AFO. Now that I've acclimated it's a complete non-issue (with no tuning filters in place), especially in light of everything else it does well. If you really care about soundstage above all else, then listen to speakers.

When I was listening last night (up past my bedtime again because I can't seem to put them down), I had a moment where I forgot I was listening to headphones. It was complete and total immersion into the music with no conscious thought of anything else. In short, the obsession most of us feel to be constantly analyzing gear rather than music had vanished and I was 100% there in the experience.

I can't give these headphones any higher compliment than that.

If that's not what we're after in this hobby, then I don't know what the point is. Time to delete some audio bookmarks from my browser and be content where I am.

Hear hear!

@Selfish Android You can always try out the headphones and return them if they don’t do it for you.

I personally think you’d be pleasantly surprised at how great these headphones are. As Skyline said, it does so many things well that you may even forget about the sound stage width. I’ve traded and purchased several headphones and these definitely surprised me. It never ceases to put a smile on my face. I’ll be keeping these until they rip them from my cold hands.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #1,128 of 2,583
@Selfish Android That's quite the lineup. Which of those did you gravitate towards and why?

For the record, I was one that criticized the soundstage of the AFO. Now that I've acclimated it's a complete non-issue (with no tuning filters in place), especially in light of everything else it does well. If you really care about soundstage above all else, then listen to speakers.

When I was listening last night (up past my bedtime again because I can't seem to put them down), I had a moment where I forgot I was listening to headphones. It was complete and total immersion into the music with no conscious thought of anything else. In short, the obsession most of us feel to be constantly analyzing gear rather than music had vanished and I was 100% there in the experience.

If that's not what we're after in this hobby, then I don't know what the point is. Time to delete some audio bookmarks from my browser and be content where I am.

Well my favorites from those are the Hifiman HE400i with Ori earpads and modded grill i think they are pretty cool like this, the treble is a little more present, they seem to be all rounders, planar base is quite nice too, the HE400i are my jack of all trades.

Second, i like the SR325 because they are kinda unique and bright just as i like it, but they are something i use for specific reasons, for example i don't use them for gaming which is a big factor.

The HD558 are another set i am attached to since it was my first audiophile grade headphone, i barely use them these days since i feel they like that punch on the treble, they are comfortable and work very well with some music.

The rest i did like the Soundstage of the HE350 was considerably larger than any other soundstage of any other headphone i had but that was it's only redeeming quality, the DT990 was kinda meh didn't like the sound signature too much even tho they are bright there was something i just didn't like.

Hear hear!

@Selfish Android You can always try out the headphones and return them if they don’t do it for you.

I personally think you’d be pleasantly surprised at how great these headphones are. As Skyline said, it does so many things well that you may even forget about the sound stage width. I’ve traded and purchased several headphones and these definitely surprised me. It never ceases to put a smile on my face. I’ll be keeping these until they rip them from my cold hands.

No i cannot try headphones, i live in Colombia and there are no audiophile stores here so i gotta buy everything in the USA and wait for a mail forwarder to send me the goods, having in mind this will be my biggest headphone purchase ever i really wanna be sure.

Jan 19, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #1,130 of 2,583
I'll bet that'll be nice that's what I'm waiting to do also, let us know how you like that cable..enjoy

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #1,133 of 2,583

I agree with this point. I am a one headphone guy, and previously listened only afo for about 3 months. Now, I listened focal clear for 3 days.

It is easy to adjust my ears to Clear because they have similar presentation overall. (similar dynamic punch, similar soundstage, treble, etc.. ) While both of them are great, they have their own strength. My first impressions against afo are that focal clear is a bit more resolving, to the extent that it catches every single detail. But at the same time, it has a less cohesive sound than afo IMO. In fact, I am unsure whether I need to hear all those details to my face, As a result, Clear sounds a bit more analytical IMO, and sometimes.. all those details are bit distracting. It makes me less 'immersive' into the music. I feel like I am less emotionally connected to a singer.

I think Clear seems to be for a professional engineer who needs to hear all details, while afo is more consumer friendly with inviting warmer sound. To my ears, afo has a bit more addictive sound.
And my neck is honest.. afo is way more comfortable and cheaper.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #1,134 of 2,583
I've been enjoying my AFOs. Coming from the HD800S that I just sold, yeah, the sound stage isn't huge. However, it doesn't really bother me too much and I feel I am getting a more intimate and fun (especially bass-wise) experience. These headphones are great in that they handle pretty much any genre of music well (IMO, anyway) and that they are pretty easy to drive. My main problem is that the clamp is uncomfortable for me, especially when I first put them on. I suffer migraines and often play soft music to help sooth/relax me. For that, I still use my PM-2.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #1,135 of 2,583
I've been enjoying my AFOs. Coming from the HD800S that I just sold, yeah, the sound stage isn't huge. However, it doesn't really bother me too much and I feel I am getting a more intimate and fun (especially bass-wise) experience. These headphones are great in that they handle pretty much any genre of music well (IMO, anyway) and that they are pretty easy to drive. My main problem is that the clamp is uncomfortable for me, especially when I first put them on. I suffer migraines and often play soft music to help sooth/relax me. For that, I still use my PM-2.

I had the same clamping force problem initially.
I stretched the headband metal out a few times to loosen it. But I did not put much pressure out, not to break it. Then it became much better.

But I am not sure whether this approach is legit. Maybe @mrspeakers would be able to answer it.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #1,136 of 2,583
I had the same clamping force problem initially.
I stretched the headband metal out a few times to loosen it. But I did not put much pressure out, not to break it. Then it became much better.

But I am not sure whether this approach is legit. Maybe @mrspeakers would be able to answer it.

Yeah, I thought the whole deal with that particular headband material was that it could be stretched to hell and back and wouldn't change it's original form. It would be great to hear from Dan on this as that's really the only thing I don't like with the headphone.

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #1,137 of 2,583
Of course we can't call bending the headband "legit..." NiTinol can be bent and it can be restored to its original shape by heat, however, that's not practical. If you mess it up it's far easier to just get a new headband assembly. The headphones are comfy for most people, but some want less clamp. I suggest reducing the weight carried by the strap and let the pad hold most of the weight, loosen the strap so just a bit of pressure is on the head. This optimizes the distribution of pressure around the pads for max comfort. Too snug = bad.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 20, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #1,138 of 2,583

Unusual. Almost everyone raves about how comfortable the AFC/AFO is, including me. Of course head size differs, but I can wear them for hours and at times even forget that I've got them on.

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #1,139 of 2,583
Of course we can't call bending the headband "legit..." NiTinol can be bent and it can be restored to its original shape by heat, however, that's not practical. If you mess it up it's far easier to just get a new headband assembly. The headphones are comfy for most people, but some want less clamp. I suggest reducing the weight carried by the strap and let the pad hold most of the weight, loosen the strap so just a bit of pressure is on the head. This optimizes the distribution of pressure around the pads for max comfort. Too snug = bad.

Thanks, I'll give it a try! It hits just hard enough behind the jaw right under my ears to be a problem. However, they sound awesome and I'm hoping this will solve my problem.

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #1,140 of 2,583
Thanks, I'll give it a try! It hits just hard enough behind the jaw right under my ears to be a problem. However, they sound awesome and I'm hoping this will solve my problem.

Another fitting trick is that the design of the cups allow the headphone to rotate forward on your head, moving the strap way forward. You may want to try that. It is also the best way to lay back with a pillow, a little rotation keeps the headband off the pillow.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back