MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #302 of 2,583
Nov 1, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #303 of 2,583
What i gather from your description (as i see we share the same feelings towards the Audioquest-i humbly contributed about a year ago to the NH's anti-hype)the Atticus or the Aeon Os are definitely the way to go.
Much appreciated ctaxx.

Not sure which feelings are those, but figured I'd clarify. While I do not like the NightHawk (thought they were overkill in its sound signature), I do like the NightOwl (which I still have actually). They essentially made that dark, bassy sound signature more balanced and have become my favorite closed backs (though I have Sony MDR-Z1R currently on the way). For the NightOwls, I would say they are mid-bass focused (with sub-bass) and neutral mids. I'm hoping that the MDR-Z1R are an upgrade of that signature.

Another headphone you can look into is the upcoming LCD2C. Those should be a darker version of the AFOs. I'll stop here though, since I don't want to derail the thread anymore. It's hard keeping this topic relevant to the Aeon Flow Open when I'm just giving general advice.

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #304 of 2,583
If you are interested in MrSpeakers headphones contact Mark at electromod (https://www.electromod.co.uk/) :)

Thank-you for the suggestion ... on their website they say they will only ship to UK & Ireland but no-one in France that I can see is supplying them !!

... perhaps @mrspeakers could suggest how I can get the AFO here ?

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #306 of 2,583
Nov 1, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #307 of 2,583
Not sure which feelings are those, but figured I'd clarify. While I do not like the NightHawk (thought they were overkill in its sound signature), I do like the NightOwl (which I still have actually). They essentially made that dark, bassy sound signature more balanced and have become my favorite closed backs (though I have Sony MDR-Z1R currently on the way). For the NightOwls, I would say they are mid-bass focused (with sub-bass) and neutral mids. I'm hoping that the MDR-Z1R are an upgrade of that signature.

Another headphone you can look into is the upcoming LCD2C. Those should be a darker version of the AFOs. I'll stop here though, since I don't want to derail the thread anymore. It's hard keeping this topic relevant to the Aeon Flow Open when I'm just giving general advice.
The confusion came from my misuse of the word rumbling bass:what i meant was "well rounded" bass having a warm touch to it,typical of "tubey" sound,so i maintain not having great extension.After re-listening to my Ultrasones i know now what annoys me in them,it is their peak in the highs,it is why(i know it's a bit confusing)i would best describe them as both warm(actually they have rather good midrange after all)and unrefined in the highs at the same time.Hope it clarifies.I maintain that HPs having a peak in the upper mid AND highs region usually make for punchy bass,even more so if their upper bass/lower mids lack presence.

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #308 of 2,583
Just for you I broke out my HD650 that have been in their box for years to check.
And yes they do fit:
20171101_165712.jpg
Hey Guys

Can any of you confirm the HD650s fit in the MrSpeakers carry case? I may order it for them ...

Dan

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #310 of 2,583
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 1, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #311 of 2,583
Thank-you for the suggestion ... on their website they say they will only ship to UK & Ireland but no-one in France that I can see is supplying them !!

... perhaps @mrspeakers could suggest how I can get the AFO here ?

We terminated our French distributor, they just weren't moving product.

At this time we have no resellers in France and are looking for a new distributor. The good news is that our distributors and resellers in Europe are allowed to sell to a country that does not have coverage, so until we setup distribution in France you can import from any of the EU countries, or direct from our site. Our sitemap on our website has the reseller names, you can copy a link to this posting if any are unsure whether they are allowed to ship to France.

That said, at this time I think only the UK has stock, Germany, Poland and the Netherlands will also have product within 1-2 weeks.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 2, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #314 of 2,583
The soundstage on AFO is different from the closed in two ways, so the conversation is probably a bit complex.

First, vocals should be a bit closer which gives a more intimate presentation for the "forward" content in a recording. However, if you listen to far-field sounds like reverb, hall space, etc I think most people will perceive the outer limit of the soundstage should be further out. In other words vocals are closer but the outer boundary of the sound field is further out. :) You can really hear the larger soundstage on the open when you listen to a binaural recording like Scribbled Folk Symphonies. If you use the test of "reaching out to grab" an object, you should have to reach further with the open.

Second, the headphones do more isolation than most open headphones. This is a working theory I have, which I came up with after talking to Jude a few years ago about how to compare open and closed headphones for soundstage. I don't want to put words in his mouth, so please understand I'm paraphrasing, and also that his views may have changed.

At the time when we discussed it he suggested that an ideal way to compare open and closed headphones for soundstage would be to do so in a very quiet room. The reason, I believe, is that most open headphones have little or no isolation so external ambience blends with the recorded ambience. My theory is that your brain can't really decouple these two sets of ambient cues so the room sounds become an extension of the recorded sound field. Since AFO significantly reduces higher frequency ambient cues if you listen in a noisier space it may sound less "open" but that is really because your brain isn't hearing the usual room cues it is used to. A bit paradoxically, in a really noisy space ambient noise may begin to overwhelm the more subtle ambient cues, causing the soundstage of the music to collapse. So if the room is kind of home or quiet office normal noise, e.g. ventilators, fans, appliances, some talking in another room, the sound fields can merge, but if its too noisy the ambient noise overwhelms the ambient cues.

Anyhow, the latter points are just a theory and are not validated, so I'd be curious to hear people's experiences with this.

Very interesting reading. Never found the relationship between perceived soundstage size and ambient noise attenuation in my recollection.
But less attenuation there is, the more environmental noises blend with music. In this case, the more noise HP let through, the more does it resemble speakers or live performances in this manner (it will sound less like it's from HP).

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #315 of 2,583
We terminated our French distributor, they just weren't moving product.

At this time we have no resellers in France and are looking for a new distributor. The good news is that our distributors and resellers in Europe are allowed to sell to a country that does not have coverage, so until we setup distribution in France you can import from any of the EU countries, or direct from our site. Our sitemap on our website has the reseller names, you can copy a link to this posting if any are unsure whether they are allowed to ship to France.

That said, at this time I think only the UK has stock, Germany, Poland and the Netherlands will also have product within 1-2 weeks.

Thank-you ... makes sense ... AFO ordered from Electromod in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back