MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #286 of 2,583
Hey, a question for owners; are you using the tuning kits, and if so how and which are you preferring?
With the AFC at least, I've been using the tuning pads for the last week or so. Adds that nice bit of body to distorted guitars/bass guitars and kick drums. I've only had my pair for a couple weeks, so it's worth mentioning they're not fully broken in yet.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #288 of 2,583
I agree with Dan's response to the soundstage. The vocals sound very intimate on the AFO. My main headphone for home listening is the HD800S which has a very wide/large soundstage (almost artificially wide). Going back and forth between the AFO and that, the AFO sounds tiny. I also usually listen in a room with other stuff going on; tv on or a couple people talking, etc. I'll have to listen to them in a quieter environment to test that theory.
That being said, the soundstage of the AFO sounds rather small when compared to other open headphones.

I think that no headphone has a wider soundstage than HD800S. It was great pleasure to listen classical music with it. But it has its own share of problems. In particular, vocal sounded thin and female vocal was too sibilant for my liking. Eventually I sold HD800S as I don't listen classical music that much these days. As always, our choice of headphones will heavily depend on our taste on music and over the course of our life as our taste evolves someway.

Nov 1, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #290 of 2,583
As someone who has owned the TH-900's, I would say the LCD-2C would serve as a better complement. Same goes for the ZMF Atticus or the new HD660S.

The TH-900 excels in sub-bass, treble, and soundstage (which is even bigger than some open backs). So a complement would be something that excels in mid-bass punch and vocals, with smooth highs.

The Aeon Closed were on the brighter, leaner side of neutral. If the Opens are a touch warmer, I would imagine they would be even closer to neutral, but with more body, and serve better as an all-round headphone.
Have you tried the Atticus or HD660S yourself?According to metal571 on youtube(i usually trust his reviews as well as as Tyll's of innerfidelity because i usually share their opinions on e.g. Beyer HPs-typically v shaped,which i don't like) the Atticus share a lot in sound sig with(again according to most reviews on this thread)the Aeon Os(unfotunately not available yet here in France)

Nov 1, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #291 of 2,583
Have you tried the Atticus or HD660S yourself?According to metal571 on youtube(i usually trust his reviews as well as as Tyll's of innerfidelity because i usually share their opinions on e.g. Beyer HPs-typically v shaped,which i don't like) the Atticus share a lot in sound sig with(again according to most reviews on this thread)the Aeon Os(unfotunately not available yet here in France)

I recently sold my Atticus, so yes, but no to hearing the HD660S. If the AFO are anywhere near the Atticus, I would be very impressed. Those had the best mids of any headphone I've heard so far. Unfortunately, it's bass was not to my liking...

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #292 of 2,583
I recently sold my Atticus, so yes, but no to hearing the HD660S. If the AFO are anywhere near the Atticus, I would be very impressed. Those had the best mids of any headphone I've heard so far. Unfortunately, it's bass was not to my liking...
What didn't you like about their bass ? I like "rumble"as opposed to punchy bass.Usually punchy bass(at least this is my conclusion)is due to HPs having upper mids emphasis,HPs with upper bass/lower mids emphasis make for warm and rumbly bass.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #294 of 2,583
What didn't you like about their bass ? I like "rumble"as opposed to punchy bass.Usually punchy bass(at least this is my conclusion)is due to HPs having upper mids emphasis,HPs with upper bass/lower mids emphasis make for warm and rumbly bass.

You're the same as me then. The Atticus has good mid-bass punch, but it's lack of sub-bass rumble killed the low end for me. If it maintained some of the Eikon's sub-bass power, it would have been the perfect headphone for me.

Also, your explanation with bass and mids are unrelated. You can have either or. It just depends on the tuning.

The AFC has fairly linear bass, and the AFO looks to have more mid-bass punch with more roll-off in the sub-bass, so it may not be what you are looking for in terms of bass. Again, I haven't heard the AFO. I'm just going from what has been mentioned in this forum.

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #295 of 2,583
You're the same as me then. The Atticus has good mid-bass punch, but it's lack of sub-bass rumble killed the low end for me. If it maintained some of the Eikon's sub-bass power, it would have been the perfect headphone for me.

Also, your explanation with bass and mids are unrelated. You can have either or. It just depends on the tuning.

The AFC has fairly linear bass, and the AFO looks to have more mid-bass punch with more roll-off in the sub-bass, so it may not be what you are looking for in terms of bass. Again, I haven't heard the AFO. I'm just going from what has been mentioned in this forum.

Not sure i quite agree with both of you(i may be wrong since i'm not an expert at analysing HPs FR)as far as my intuition tells me i meant that percussions have a upper mid resonance (you can hear it with MOST-not pretending to have listened to all their references though-AKG HPs)my HPs having a good sub bass response(eg Ultrasone pro 2900i)lack of what i have tried to call warm and rumbling bass THAT i find in my other HPs having upper bass/lower mid tilt,or general tone if you like.Punchy bass(that i don't like)you will find in most AKGs or Beyers,studio oriented HPs having a upper mid tilt,or typical v shaped sound sigs.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #296 of 2,583
Not sure i quite agree with both of you(i may be wrong since i'm not an expert at analysing HPs FR)as far as my intuition tells me i meant that percussions have a upper mid resonance (you can hear it with MOST-not pretending to have listened to all their references though-AKG HPs)my HPs having a good sub bass response(eg Ultrasone pro 2900i)lack of what i have tried to call warm and rumbling bass THAT i find in my other HPs having upper bass/lower mid tilt,or general tone if you like.Punchy bass(that i don't like)you will find in most AKGs or Beyers,studio oriented HPs having a upper mid tilt,or typical v shaped sound sigs.

So by warm and rumbly bass, you're actually talking about the mid-bass?... Usually when bass is discussed, rumble refers to sub-bass due to the fact that we mainly feel the sub-frequencies as opposed to hearing them. Like a sub-woofer. Punch, or impact, lies mainly in the mid-bass. So I guess this means the AFO may be what you are looking for?

Again, bass and mids can be tuned in any way. (btw you quoted me twice)

Examples:
TH-900: sub-bass and forward upper mids
NightHawks: mid-bass and recessed upper mids
Eikon: sub-bass and recessed upper mids (though it peaks near the end into the lower treble)
Atticus: mid-bass and forward upper mids (though still very smooth, kind of hard to describe)
Aeon Flow Closed: Linear bass with forward upper mids

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #297 of 2,583
... the Aeon Os(unfotunately not available yet here in France)

Hi, could you say where in France (or anywhere else in the EU) normally stock MrSpeakers headphones from your experience ?

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #298 of 2,583
So by warm and rumbly bass, you're actually talking about the mid-bass?... Usually when bass is discussed, rumble refers to sub-bass due to the fact that we mainly feel the sub-frequencies as opposed to hearing them. Like a sub-woofer. Punch, or impact, lies mainly in the mid-bass. So I guess this means the AFO may be what you are looking for?

Examples:
Eikon: sub-bass and recessed upper mids (though it peaks near the end into the lower treble)
Atticus: mid-bass and forward upper mids (though still very smooth, kind of hard to describe)
Sorry for quoting you twice(double clicked unintentionnally)i think i follow you now,your examples are much clear,sorry for the confusion of terms:my Ultrasones lack a tad-would be THE perfect HPs otherwise-of upper bass/lower mids presence(the famous presence region quoting Tyll of innerfidelity)i would say the same for the Denon AH-MM200(in the budget/audiophile range)which DEFINITELY lack of midrange presence.Hope it is clearer now,but to be even clearer i would add that if HPs with good bass had more midrange presence they would be the end game to me,reason why i'm so peaky about terms : i have had too many HPs(AKGs,Beyers,Audioquest NHs-very disappointed)that are not to my liking,don't want to do the same mistake
Reminder:the Aeon Os are not available yet in my country,so am relying on you to make up my mind

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #299 of 2,583
Hi, could you say where in France (or anywhere else in the EU) normally stock MrSpeakers headphones from your experience ?
Actually it was misinformation-thought it would be of no interest to most(non French)followers- What i know is that Mr Speaker was present at last year's Son et Image but was NOT this year,don't ask me why,dunno.

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #300 of 2,583

Examples:
What i gather from your description (as i see we share the same feelings towards the Audioquest-i humbly contributed about a year ago to the NH's anti-hype)the Atticus or the Aeon Os are definitely the way to go.
Much appreciated ctaxx.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back