MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #61 of 2,583
Early next week.

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #63 of 2,583
Oct 11, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #64 of 2,583
Got a chance to give the Aeon Flow Open a listen from the Chord Hugo 2 at RMAF over the weekend. Got a pair of Ether Flow at home that I have been using as my goto pair since July.

The Aeon Flow Open's signature just compared to the Ether Flow was just so uncanny. The Aeon felt like an Ether Flow for $1000 less just with some subtle differences. Soundstage was a bit less than the Ether Flow as a result of the smaller driver, the clamp on the Aeon was a bit more substantial and I doubt the headphone will be slipping off my head anytime soon. The upper mids seemed just not as forward as the Ether Flow but sonically that was probably the biggest thing I heard different.

The Aeon Flow Open for under $1000 seems like a great fit for those who really enjoy the Ether Flow sound signature.

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #65 of 2,583
I thought I saw a quote from Dan saying they started shipping early.....

From October 4th. By that it should mean they started shipping two days ago. Haven't heard anything since though.

Kamron,

AEON Open is expected to begin shipping early next week. We ship with FedEx, always with signature requirement for headphones.

Thanks for your interest,

Alex

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #67 of 2,583
I wonder if there'll be an option to upgrade your Aeon Closed to the Aeon Open..
n29Pqd.gif

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #68 of 2,583
The Aeon Flow Open for under $1000 seems like a great fit for those who really enjoy the Ether Flow sound signature.

In essence, Dan literally destroyed the Ether market with his own product (Aeon) unless he upgrades it to the next level

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #70 of 2,583
I am sitting back and waiting for some more impressions and measurements on the Aeon open. I really like the closed set that I have. It is the first set of headphones form Dan that I have. I got in on the pre-order and saved $100. I need to know more before dumping $800 plus on another set of headphones. Some may think that is a trivial price, but with way too many headphones in my collection (25+) and not enough time to listen, I have to be convinced that I gain enough over the closed model to make it worthwhile...
I wish they still had the popcorn emoticon...
:L3000:

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #71 of 2,583
We'll start shipping on the 15th as planned. We have units done, we're just crossing our t's.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 11, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #72 of 2,583
Maybe there is some truth to that. And maybe there's a lot of 'FOTM' enthusiasm around the Aeon's and it will take awhile for the Aeon/Ether comparison to sort itself out.

ETHER has a different tone and vibe to it. Remember, in this world of headphones there is NO headphone everyone agrees on. Since the voicing and fit differ, there will always be some who prefer AEON in absolute terms, others will prefer it just for the value, and others who flat out prefer ETHER Flow. From our perspective, if you find one of our headphones that fits your needs, we're happy regardless of model.

I've spoken to reviewers who still think ETHER Flow is their favorite, others who prefer ETHER C Flow, others who prefer AEON. So even reviewers are unlikely to be consistent on anything...

I think it's important to keep this in mind when someone says "ETHER is absolutely better" or "AEON crushes" that there are many reasons to have a preference, and in too many cases, people do not make clear WHY they feel this, as if there are absolute answers. Just an editorial comment... :)

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #73 of 2,583
I was reading in the HE 400i thread and a member posted a note saying that he was utterly confused. He had read reviews and comments that made the headphone out to be everything from superb to junk and everything in between.
I am just agreeing. It is next to impossible to get any consensus on anything when it comes to a subject as personal as audio reproduction. I personally really like the Aeon, but I have not heard any of the other current production Mr. Speakers headphones.
Maybe I am lucky in that regard. It is always good to be satisfied and happy with a purchase.

Mark Twain said, "Comparison is the death of joy". So true !

Now to find someone who really likes the Aeon closed who can listen to the open model and give a good assessment of the differences. Though regardless of that, I did get the Aeon closed for a specific use case. No open headphone (of which I have many) will displace it for those situations.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #74 of 2,583
ETHER has a different tone and vibe to it. Remember, in this world of headphones there is NO headphone everyone agrees on. Since the voicing and fit differ, there will always be some who prefer AEON in absolute terms, others will prefer it just for the value, and others who flat out prefer ETHER Flow. From our perspective, if you find one of our headphones that fits your needs, we're happy regardless of model.

I've spoken to reviewers who still think ETHER Flow is their favorite, others who prefer ETHER C Flow, others who prefer AEON. So even reviewers are unlikely to be consistent on anything...

I think it's important to keep this in mind when someone says "ETHER is absolutely better" or "AEON crushes" that there are many reasons to have a preference, and in too many cases, people do not make clear WHY they feel this, as if there are absolute answers. Just an editorial comment... :)
As the saying goes- "Different yolks for different folks". I know you have to be proud that customers are comparing the AEON to the ETHER C FLOW... That's quite an achievement for the price! Keep it up Dan

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #75 of 2,583

Users who are viewing this thread

Back