MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #16 of 2,583
I couldn’t contain my excitement after seeing these available and had to order! Thanks @MattTCG for the early impressions.

I’ve been a closet MrSpeakers fan for years, but wanted something a little more intimate than the Ether offerings. As soon as the Aeon Closed was announced, I knew it was only a matter of time before the Open would be released.

I’m looking forward to wearing one of the most comfortable over ear headphones without sacrificing any technical prowess or emotional engagement. It’s been said time and again, but comfort matters and Dan seems to be one of the few manufacturers who heeds the call to make it the highest priority.

I also personally feel that the Aeon Open aesthetically looks like the best design Dan and team has made yet. I’m sure that will be a point of contention, but I’m definitely of fan of the Aeon minimalist approach.

These are indeed good times to be a member of this community and this hobby. I know we are a week away from gathering RMAF impressions, but I’m confident this is the MrSpeakers sound for me.

Congratulations Dan on this awesome new headphone! I wish you and your team nothing but success in the future and another trip to the Wall of Fame!

Oct 1, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #17 of 2,583
I couldn’t contain my excitement after seeing these available and had to order!

These are indeed good times to be a member of this community and this hobby..

Unless one is saving for a college education, or maybe retirement.. Wallet screaming for mercy and rational thought... Denied!

Maybe not that great....
:L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #19 of 2,583
I ordered a pair. Can't wait to get them in since I already love the closed back model.

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #20 of 2,583
Are they harder to drive then the closed version? Also they must be lighter, so even more comfortable than before. I guess the earpads are not removable still?

They should be very similar to terms of how hard it is to drive. The Aeon Flow Closed have a 93dB efficiency while the Aeon Flow Open have a 95dB rating. So the open variant should be slightly louder. And they're lighter by 19 grams.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #21 of 2,583
AFC will be arriving on Wednesday. Will be ordering the AFO tomorrow. IEMs are really uncomfortable to me so I’m excited to have the closed for when I travel and the opens for home. All for less than the ether c flow. Thanks Dan

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #24 of 2,583
Will folks going to RMAF this coming weekend be able to order a pair of Aeon opens at the MrSpeakers booth? And if so, is there typically an extra incentive or discount offered if purchasing headphones at the festival?

Thanks.

Oct 2, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #25 of 2,583
Will folks going to RMAF this coming weekend be able to order a pair of Aeon opens at the MrSpeakers booth? And if so, is there typically an extra incentive or discount offered if purchasing headphones at the festival?

Thanks.
From my limited past experience - it varies by vendor. Totally up to Dan...

Oct 3, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #26 of 2,583
These are only few weeks from shipping?

Those hexagonal grilles look so much better than that carbon fibre to me. It's much less boring. What material was used on the grilles? It is more subtle than the one on Ethers. It would be so cool if it was NiTinol :)
Can't wait for Tyll's review and measurements.

Lower sub-bass presence kinda scares me though. Sub bass rumble on Aeon closed are one of the reasons I like it.

Oct 3, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #27 of 2,583
Interesting - just heard about these headphones. I've been researching Ether Flows vs LCD 2 vs LCD 3 for the past week or so and now it looks like I need to add these to my shortlist. Eager to see Matt's review!

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #28 of 2,583
These are only few weeks from shipping?

Those hexagonal grilles look so much better than that carbon fibre to me. It's much less boring. What material was used on the grilles? It is more subtle than the one on Ethers. It would be so cool if it was NiTinol :)
Can't wait for Tyll's review and measurements.

Lower sub-bass presence kinda scares me though. Sub bass rumble on Aeon closed are one of the reasons I like it.

The hex pattern is pretty cool, this isn't just stock stamped material, if you look the pattern actually is asymmetric, a regular hex didn't look so nice so we put some time into making some subtle geometry to make it feel more integrated...

Regarding sub-bass, I personally enjoy EDM a lot, and I love the lowest octave. The open does a good job in this area, only once and a while do I reach for the closed if I don't need isolation. We did our best to make the bass present, rich and textured but honest sounding. There's a bit less down there but it doesn't fall off a cliff, and due to the richer overtones there's a more solid bass presence for most music.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 3, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #29 of 2,583
OK, we just finished our first production build and are shipping our units to RMAF/CanJam! See you there, and yes, we will have a few for sale should they catch your fancy. I'm bringing my Liquid Glass for one system, and a couple of portable rigs, so people can get a feel on a range of gear.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 3, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #30 of 2,583
OK, we just finished our first production build and are shipping our units to RMAF/CanJam! See you there, and yes, we will have a few for sale should they catch your fancy. I'm bringing my Liquid Glass for one system, and a couple of portable rigs, so people can get a feel on a range of gear.

Fingers crossed that I will NOT like those more than my Ether Flow Open... :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back