MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #1,186 of 2,583
Of what type & how many pairs of pads come with the AFC? I see one black pair in the box, and the ones in the headphones appear to be sewn to the pads.

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #1,187 of 2,583
They are not sewn in. Use fingers or, if needed, tweezers to grasp the filter pad to remove it. Should be one black and two white filter pads.

Jan 27, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #1,188 of 2,583
They are not sewn in. Use fingers or, if needed, tweezers to grasp the filter pad to remove it. Should be one black and two white filter pads.

Ok. So what I think is a frequency pad sewn to the ear pad is just a cover over the transducer. And the black pad in the box is 1 of 3 sets of frequency pads. So I'm missing the 2 white pads then?

Jan 27, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #1,189 of 2,583
Ok. So what I think is a frequency pad sewn to the ear pad is just a cover over the transducer. And the black pad in the box is 1 of 3 sets of frequency pads. So I'm missing the 2 white pads then?
Closed only comes with one set, so you're fine.

Open version had three sets of tuning pads.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 27, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #1,190 of 2,583
Everyone seems to like pad-free, but agrees that before and even after burn in, they could use a touch less treble in a few hot spots, perhaps if they make an ASO (Aeon Semi Open) for more sub bass like their closed, and more overall warmth like the open, they tweak the drivers to have a bit less higher end peaks people unanimously notice (even treble heads), while not affecting other areas of their highs. It could result in their not needing tuning pads, they will be in that zone. Kind of like the Meze 99 high end. It's detailed but smooth, and only super treble heads say it's lacking in their Neo version (the Classic has more, and for those of us more sensitive to treble, it is a bit too much at times). Other than a bit of mid bass bloat, and occasional peaky mids, the Neo are close to my ideal sonic vibes.
Well it’s got to be old man ears for me because I don’t even hear a hint of sibilance going padless. I’m obvioisly in the minority as they sound great without tuning pads.

Jan 27, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #1,191 of 2,583
I assumed we were all talking about AFO not AFC in this forum. The AFO should have 3 pads. I just don't recall what I got with the AFC since it was so long ago and I don't use pads. I too have old man ears!

Jan 27, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #1,193 of 2,583
Closed only comes with one set, so you're fine.

Open version had three sets of tuning pads.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, I was talking AFC; sorry about the confusion. I asked only in case I were to sell them, but that is highly unlikely. Best cans I've owned (HE-400i, PM-3, MD50x) so far.

Jan 27, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #1,194 of 2,583
AFC comes with only one pair of black pads.

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #1,195 of 2,583
I've got to say I've had my AFO's for almost 3 weeks now and boy they have really opened up nicely, I'm still amazed that one can get this sq for such a low price, bass body and impact are very good on these hp's, I think the mids & upper mids are a little laid back but very nice. They have a very nice open sound to them and the sound stage is just great. I've been comparing them to my 560's which I feel are a little more balanced & technical but not as fun to listen to as my AFO's one really can't go wrong with these hp's what a deal..enjoy

Jan 28, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #1,196 of 2,583
I've been comparing them to my 560's which I feel are a little more balanced & technical but not as fun to listen to as my AFO's
From what I'd seen the HE-560 go lower in the subs, but have a less warm sound in the mid bass and lower mids. How do they compare to the AFO in the highs (without any filter)?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #1,197 of 2,583
this morning i had the chance to try two pair of afo. one not burned in without filers and the other burned in with black filters. i compared them to my atticus ..
there was less sibilance in the afo even with the not burned in pair... i'm 90% sure the pair i had was flawed. i had them running for more than 100 hours..
very disappointed and sad because i find them even punchier than atticus and better with metal. zero fatigue even at very high volume, i don't know why , probably the frequency response chart can tell that but i can't "read" it..

Jan 28, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #1,198 of 2,583
this morning i had the chance to try two pair of afo. one not burned in without filers and the other burned in with black filters. i compared them to my atticus ..
there was less sibilance in the afo even with the not burned in pair... i'm 90% sure the pair i had was flawed. i had them running for more than 100 hours..
very disappointed and sad because i find them even punchier than atticus and better with metal. zero fatigue even at very high volume, i don't know why , probably the frequency response chart can tell that but i can't "read" it..

They have an amazing warranty. Why not reach out to their support team and see if they can resolve the issue or replace them? If I remember correctly are you outside the country?

Jan 28, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #1,200 of 2,583
too late!! i sold them.. i couldn't stand that sibilance. in certain songs it was unbearable. you can't imagine how i am pissed of. i lost 270euros selling them

I am not sure but less sibilance might be because of a certain environment. In a louder environment, it is more likely to be unnoticeable. Or other things might come into play. Products produced later might have somewhat different tunings than earlier production. In my limited experience, mrspeapkers' products were quite consistent across units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back