MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #766 of 2,583
I have a pair of Hifiman HE-400i. Can somebody elaborate on what am I missing without the AFO?

AFO is in a totally different class. I've used both, and you're missing out on the overall rich, full, impactful aspects, if not some of the resolution and detail as well. These two couldn't possibly be more different imo. That said the 400i is still a great sounding headphone, but you can't expect it to compete with the AFO. I would recommend trying them out at a store if you get the chance but your wallet might feel the pinch if you do haha. That definitely happened to me even when I heard the first AFC. Basically it's like the difference between a HE-400i and a HE-500.

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #768 of 2,583
Dec 4, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #769 of 2,583
will check out the Cayin. What else gets used for voicing - tubed and solid state. What else are people using that they like with their AFO/C's?

I do want to make it clear that I don't want to "endorse" products. I am in no way saying that these are the definitive choices in their price class or any way. Instead, I feel these represent really excellent choices at their different price points, and we do resell a couple of these products for this reason. But there are many other products I have not heard that I'd like to, others that are worth carrying haven't added to my "wall of sound" because of budget, space or other factors. So consider these products as suggestions to consider but not as authoritative recommendations, that's for reviewers and neutral enthusiasts to do...

DACs

Yggdrassil
Auralic Vega
Cayin iDAC-6

Desktop Amps

Cavalli Liquid Glass
Cavalli Liquid Carbon
Cavalli Liquid Crimson
Woo Audio WA5
Cayin HA-6
Schiit Ragnarock
Schiit Mjolnir 2
Ampsandsound Kenzie
Linear Tube MicroZOTL 2

DAC/Amps

Chord Hugo 2 (incoming)
Chord Mojo
Schiit Jotenheim
iFi iDSD Black (plan to acquire, don't have it yet)

Portables

AK AK380
Questyle QP2r

Electrostatic Amps

Cavalli LL2
Headamp Blue Hawaii

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 4, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #770 of 2,583
I do want to make it clear that I don't want to "endorse" products. I am in no way saying that these are the definitive choices in their price class or any way. Instead, I feel these represent really excellent choices at their different price points, and we do resell a couple of these products for this reason. But there are many other products I have not heard that I'd like to, others that are worth carrying haven't added to my "wall of sound" because of budget, space or other factors. So consider these products as suggestions to consider but not as authoritative recommendations, that's for reviewers and neutral enthusiasts to do...

DACs

Yggdrassil
Auralic Vega
Cayin iDAC-6

Desktop Amps

Cavalli Liquid Glass
Cavalli Liquid Carbon
Cavalli Liquid Crimson
Woo Audio WA5
Cayin HA-6
Schiit Ragnarock
Schiit Mjolnir 2
Ampsandsound Kenzie
Linear Tube MicroZOTL 2

DAC/Amps

Chord Hugo 2 (incoming)
Chord Mojo
Schiit Jotenheim
iFi iDSD Black (plan to acquire, don't have it yet)

Portables

AK AK380
Questyle QP2r

Electrostatic Amps

Cavalli LL2
Headamp Blue Hawaii

This is glorious. Thank you so much!

Also my poor bank account.... :frowning2:

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #771 of 2,583
yes but what a lot of fun to be had sampling amps (and dacs) while wiping out the bank account finding that great match.

Nice list thanks and understand just amps to check out - sadly Cavalli is no more. Much appreciated and good food for thought about pairing with my new AFO's.

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #772 of 2,583
Haha it's me. Hope it's useful :)
if you were going to match the AFO with a similar priced (say under 1K) amp what would be a nice match and why?
Headfonics, Innerfidelity(i think), earphiles all recommended the Cayin IHA-6 I just purchased it last week, I hope to get it this week >_< !! musicteck.com $700.

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #773 of 2,583
Dec 4, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #774 of 2,583
I had read this review, but as much as he is an expert in the field of sound, this is a subjective opinion, and what is yours ?

I think it depends on what you're looking for. Some people will still argue that the HD6** lineup is the best when paired with certain amps that "lift the veil". Other people will argue for the Audeze sub 1K cans (I think there's a new one worth checking out). If you want something more wide open, grab a used HE-500. If you want something more intimate, look at something else entirely.

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #775 of 2,583
I had read this review, but as much as he is an expert in the field of sound, this is a subjective opinion, and what is yours ?
I have no opinion yet because I don’t have an Aeon yet but I will buy one soon based on Tyll’s review and other positive reviews.

Dec 5, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #776 of 2,583
will check out the Cayin. What else gets used for voicing - tubed and solid state. What else are people using that they like with their AFO/C's?

Of the Hybrid Amp choice, I have Mjolnir 2 as my main amp with the AFO ... the MJ2/AFO has good incisiveness and weight with great detail in the bass, even tho this amp is naturally on the slightly warm side (can depend on tubes) ... however, I also have a LYR 2 for daytime use which provides a respectably satisfying sound. Both are musically enjoyable altho the MJ2 is worth the extra IMO.

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #780 of 2,583
i've just ordered an audio gd nfb r2r 11. hope it will pair good.
afo is the first hp that doesn't make me regret selling my lcd2f.

I quite like the R2R 11 with both the AFO and AFC. You shouldn't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back