MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #797 of 2,583
I would like an afo vs atticus comparing too...

However i don't understand why people complain about the soundstage... Hd650 doesn't have a soundstage bigger/better than afo but it's still considered a benchmark...

Benchmark for other things... not for soundstage lol. Looking at higher priced planars, for me at least, I expected some solid sound stage especially coming from the AFC. It's one of the selling points to get an open headphones. Improved soundstage

Dec 5, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #798 of 2,583
This is going to be a rough estimation. The HEX V2's sound stage was as wide as my shoulders which is around 6 inches from the cup out. The Atticus sits around 3 - 3 1/2 inches and the AFOs sit around the 1 - 2 inch mark.

YMMV depending on your chain. I'm currently running a Mimby+Mjolnir 2.

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #799 of 2,583
This is going to be a rough estimation. The HEX V2's sound stage was as wide as my shoulders which is around 6 inches from the cup out. The Atticus sits around 3 - 3 1/2 inches and the AFOs sit around the 1 - 2 inch mark.

YMMV depending on your chain. I'm currently running a Mimby+Mjolnir 2.

What about bass/slam?

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #800 of 2,583
What about bass/slam?

Between all three; the bass slam of the Atticus can’t be beat. Took me a bit to find the right tube pair but when I did you could feel the kick drums in your chest. The AFOs come in a close second and the HEX V2s are last. Sub bass on the HEX V2s reach lower than the other two headphones but it's not prominent.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #801 of 2,583
Between all three; the bass slam of the Atticus can’t be beat. Took me a bit to find the right tube pair but when I did you could feel the kick drums in your chest. The AFOs come in a close second and the HEX V2s are last. Sub bass on the HEX V2s reach lower than the other two headphones but is not prominent.
Musicality and tonality atticus or afo ?

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #806 of 2,583
Musicality and tonality atticus or afo ?

I’m leaning more towards the Atticus being more musical. Tonality is much harder to judge...I prefer the tonality on the AFOs but that’s really my preference. You can’t lose with either as they both do a good job.

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #807 of 2,583
I’m leaning more towards the Atticus being more musical. Tonality is much harder to judge...I prefer the tonality on the AFOs but that’s really my preference. You can’t lose with either as they both do a good job.

i don't remember if i asked already, what inserts do you use with afo?

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #808 of 2,583
i don't remember if i asked already, what inserts do you use with afo?

Black foam inserts. I was using the one notch inserts at first as I found the highs a bit sharp but once they were burned in i found the highs much smoother.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #809 of 2,583
As much as the inserts help calm the AFO down a bit and make them more intimate, I think I may now prefer them without inserts. The only downside is that there's that tiny bit of sibilance when you leave them out. Here's my early attempt at EQ settings, if anyone else wants to try doing this to get rid of sibilance. It's worked for me so far. Note that I made the adjustments a bit tighter on all three sliders so it's a much more precise EQ. I may mess around with a parametric EQ soon to see where I hear it more accurately. I can probably get it down to just one slider.

upload_2017-12-5_22-11-13.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back