MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #737 of 2,583
if it didn't have that little sibilance that doesn't seem to get away with burn in, it would be my end game hp. it finally satisfied my need of bass and slam without ruining the mids.

I find the 2 notches to sounds pretty nice. I don't feel anything is muffled but it warms the sound and tames those highs you are mentioning, at least for me.

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #741 of 2,583
so I am on the same page- the black material inserts that come with the AFC, AFO are called "notches"?

The AFO came with 3 tuning pads. The black foams ones (same as the ones with the AFC), and then 2 different white tuning pads, one with one notch and the other with 2 notches.

I misspoke, should've said the white tuning pad with 2 notches

The order goes from black -> 1 notch -> 2 notch in terms of material thickness/density

it's not highs that bother me, but ssss in certain songs

Yeah that's what I meant! I get no sSSs with the 2 notches. Nothing fatiguing to my ears

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #742 of 2,583
The AFO came with 3 tuning pads. The black foams ones (same as the ones with the AFC), and then 2 different white tuning pads, one with one notch and the other with 2 notches.

The order goes from black -> 1 notch -> 2 notch in terms of material thickness/density

Yeah that's what I meant! I get no sSSs with the 2 notches. Nothing fatiguing to my ears

don't seem that you are loosing some details with 2 notches?

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #743 of 2,583

My bad. They black foam inserts are not called notches on the AFC. Just put the AFO on my head right now and was A/Bing with the EFO. I Then picked the AFO box up and saw what you mean now. Thanks!

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #744 of 2,583
don't seem that you are loosing some details with 2 notches?

I don't find I lose detail, but the overall signature become warmer to me. Highs are not as sharp, mids not as shouty (not that they are without them), and just smoothens the entire range for me. I kinda like it, I switch with these and the black foams depending on how I'm feeling.

My bad. They black foam inserts are not called notches on the AFC. Just put the AFO on my head right now and was A/Bing with the EFO. I Then picked the AFO box up and saw what you mean now. Thanks!

Def wanna hear your impressions on the AFOs and how it stacks against the competition :wink:

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #747 of 2,583
which one has most slam/impact in the low end? make a comparison :)
I will try to be very specific with this next video. When I do my youtube videos I usually have a few key points in my head that I want to do and then 90% of it is just off the top of my head (we usually do one take btw. So if stumble I apologize) This next one I will do my best to really pull from my notes.

EDIT- Yeah, it took me taking them off my head to see that there was a "notch" in there already ha. I was like "Wait, white lining inside, instead of black??" Thanks @wazzupi nice of you to point that out :gs1000smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 4, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #748 of 2,583
Is there variation in the color of the (paint on the) plastic parts? I see pictures of very visibly blue Aeons but on my opens the color is extremely subtle, even under whatever daylight we have this time of the year.

No, the dark blue is VERY hard to photograph. The hue is very dark, a "midnight metallic blue" would be a good descriptor. It's the same color as ETHER Flow.

Thank you again Dan for coming to MTME and spending time with us and our customers. I heard from Kerry that it was a really nice time. Here is a picture from the meet and greet. Looks like your holding an AFO in this pic? Since I now have my hands on them i'll probably do a youtube video to compare the AFO to the AFC.
Thanks again!

Had a great time, thanks for hosting!

so I am on the same page- the black material inserts that come with the AFC, AFO are called "notches"?

There are two types of white damping, they look the same but they are distinctly different. To make it user friendly we add the "notches" to the white filters so its easy to differentiate.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 4, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #749 of 2,583
I don't find I lose detail, but the overall signature become warmer to me. Highs are not as sharp, mids not as shouty (not that they are without them), and just smoothens the entire range for me. I kinda like it, I switch with these and the black foams depending on how I'm feeling.

Def wanna hear your impressions on the AFOs and how it stacks against the competition :wink:
Ive got the korg ds100 which my friend said might have a akm dac chip because we compared 4 different dacs with different chip manufacturers and my dac had the warmest or smoothest sound which akm is known for, the point being. I don't sense siblance or any harshness and that's with no filters. I kinda like siblance, within a more natural state though...

Ill be receiving my cayin iha-6 this week if customs doesn't fk me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back