MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #721 of 2,583
Just bought an AFO to complement my AFC! BTW, if there's ever more affordable products to be made by Dan and the MrSpeakers team, I'll be on the lookout and will most likely buy!

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #722 of 2,583
If a more expensive Planar has more body/analog sound and flow to the music with a better sound stage this is worth $2200.

"Buyers Remorse" has to be judged by the headphone owner's ears and wallet. I'd say with confidence that many true open Planar headphones have SUPERIOR sound stage compared to the midfi Aeon Open.

The subjective ears will be the decision maker. The $$$$ gearlist will surely have to "settle" for the SQ of the Aeon Open and NOT meet the higher tier world of high end headphones. There is a reason why there is budget/midi and hifi differences in the audio world "in most cases".

A "good choice" can be interpreted in many ways. Comparing a high end planar to a midfi Aeon Open is definitely not apples to apples.

In my experience, a large perceived soundstage did not work well sometimes. Here are some reasons. When I first owned hd800s, it was a whole different world! Sometimes, listening orchestral music through it was even better than going concerts. After a few months of listening, I found that the large perceived soundstage is a source of distraction. Why? I usually use my can when I work including reading, writing, etc.. Of course, hd800s relieved some stress from working, but it didn't help my productivity as it distracted a good amount of my focus. The perceived soundstage of AFO may be smaller than hd800s. But it does not distract too much of my focus, while still delivering beauty of music reducing work pressure.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #724 of 2,583
In my experience, a large perceived soundstage did not work well sometimes. Here are some reasons. When I first owned hd800s, it was a whole different world! Sometimes, listening orchestral music through it was even better than going concerts. After a few months of listening, I found that the large perceived soundstage is a source of distraction. Why? I usually use my can when I work including reading, writing, etc.. Of course, hd800s relieved some stress from working, but it didn't help my productivity as it distracted a good amount of my focus. The perceived soundstage of AFO may be smaller than hd800s. But it does not distract too much of my focus, while still delivering beauty of music reducing work pressure.
I think it's more than that. Would you rather listen to individual instruments separated by a massive soundstage? Or the harmonies and dissonances they make when heard closer together. To me that's a preference thing but I can understand why someone would prefer one over the other.

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #725 of 2,583

Your description of the HD800 is exactly what it is......analytical and hyper detailed. It's not warm or even "warmish" nor is it musical. The delivery of music is almost "monitor" like that is a transducer of digital signal to analog with no massaged sound except with a big soundstage :wink:

This is where I feel the tube treatment in adding harmonics with rolled off frequency is a nice touch to the HD800 (s).

The soundstage of the AFO is to my ears extremely small like the HD650. Not much air but very enclosed and as some have elaborated not changed after breakin' either........

The HE560 that is $400CDN less than the Aeon open has less accentuated V shaped tuning with a larger soundstage than the AFO. Vocals seems to have more fuller body. Only possible is that it appreciated more current to drive. This is just my ears appreciating the HE560 alot more than the sound of the Aeon Open.

I know exactly what your talking about when it comes to "distracting". The HD800(s) makes me analyze what I am listening too instead of getting fully engaged into the music.

I almost feel that the bass from the Aeon is fun and in the Bass head territory. The bass authority still doesn't kill vocals but it gives me that same bass of the denon 7200. Overbearing bass for my ears to some degree.....

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #726 of 2,583
MId-bass through lower treble of the HD800 is a downward sloping response. It's almost 8-10db lower at 4khz than it is at 100hz. I can easily see the HD800 being called warm with its midrange balance, and I even hear it that way myself. I never quite understood why people called it overly analytical and cold. Does it have bright treble around 6k? Yes. Is its midrange cold and uninviting? No.

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #727 of 2,583
Your description of the HD800 is exactly what it is......analytical and hyper detailed. It's not warm or even "warmish" nor is it musical. The delivery of music is almost "monitor" like that is a transducer of digital signal to analog with no massaged sound except with a big soundstage :wink:

This is where I feel the tube treatment in adding harmonics with rolled off frequency is a nice touch to the HD800 (s).

The soundstage of the AFO is to my ears extremely small like the HD650. Not much air but very enclosed and as some have elaborated not changed after breakin' either........

The HE560 that is $400CDN less than the Aeon open has less accentuated V shaped tuning with a larger soundstage than the AFO. Vocals seems to have more fuller body. Only possible is that it appreciated more current to drive. This is just my ears appreciating the HE560 alot more than the sound of the Aeon Open.

I know exactly what your talking about when it comes to "distracting". The HD800(s) makes me analyze what I am listening too instead of getting fully engaged into the music.

I almost feel that the bass from the Aeon is fun and in the Bass head territory. The bass authority still doesn't kill vocals but it gives me that same bass of the denon 7200. Overbearing bass for my ears to some degree.....

I have no experience over HE560, so I can't say much about it. But as far as I know, Tyll even refused to write a review himself about he560 because of harshness on high (though he delegated it to someone else). Given that his perception about harshness is consistent with my experience, I assume that harshness would be there. I listen a lot of bad recordings.

In regards to hd800s, I tried EQ to reduce 4k peak, but eventually, gave up and sold. Maybe tube amp might have been of help. I don't see myself buying tube amp in a foreseeable future.

Mids are not recessed in AFO, but I agree that some bloom in the bass. I am no way bass head, as I mostly enjoy pop, edm, jazz with female vocal. When I first listen, I thought bass is overly emphasized to my ear habitual with EFC. And I have to admit that I liked the original Ether C more than Ether C Flows.

Now, it has been more than a month with AFO. As I spend more time with AFO, I appreciate its bass. I just listened Janet Jackson 'Unbreakable.' I It gives a nice warm feeling harmonious with refined high, without overwhelming bass. Maroon 5 'Red Pill Blues' sounds perfect to me. Also, its bass is very fast and lively. When I A/Bed AFO and EFC with Wonderland (Inst.) by gugudan, difference in the quality of bass is quite noticeable.

I would suggest you to spend more time with AFO. I found that it takes months to make final judgement. I owned both hd800s and the original Ether C, and preferred hd800s lot more than EC initially. After three months of listening, I eventually sold hd800s and kept Ether C. And I prefer AFO a lot more than EC.

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #728 of 2,583
I think it's more than that. Would you rather listen to individual instruments separated by a massive soundstage? Or the harmonies and dissonances they make when heard closer together. To me that's a preference thing but I can understand why someone would prefer one over the other.

I agree. I think hd800s corresponds to the former and AFO to the latter.

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #729 of 2,583
Is there variation in the color of the (paint on the) plastic parts? I see pictures of very visibly blue Aeons but on my opens the color is extremely subtle, even under whatever daylight we have this time of the year.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #730 of 2,583
I am thinking of getting the AFO over the AFC mainly due to it's warmer sound signature. Is the semi-open like behaviour of the AFO, enough to warrant using it in an (not quite) office enviroment ?

Thank you.

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #731 of 2,583
I am thinking of getting the AFO over the AFC mainly due to it's warmer sound signature. Is the semi-open like behaviour of the AFO, enough to warrant using it in an (not quite) office enviroment ?

Thank you.

Is your primary concern with sound leaking in, or the outward leak becoming too loud?

The AFO do leak sound in and out an average amount but mostly the higher frequencies. If you're concerned about sound leaking in, they do a great job of cancelling that at low listening volumes, does not differ much from my fully closed alpha primes or Oris in my experience.

I cannot speak for actually testing outward leak disturbing others, but I definitely wouldn't take them into an inherently quiet setting like a library.

They do a great job with isolating the listener from inherent droning or commotion, but you will be able to hear things you need to like a door bell or a telephone ringing.

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #732 of 2,583
Afo might have a smaller soundstage when compared to the likes of hifiman planars(which i don't see it being big enough of a difference to decide between an afo or he560/x v2) or dynamic driver potential.. but the afo kill it with instrument separation and imaging period. If i want soundstage I'll buy a hd800s if i want tonality musiciality and a headphone that'll sound great with most genres ill stick to my afos for now.

I pre ordered the lcd2c, i hope they complement each other or the decision to keep one or the other is difficult.

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #733 of 2,583
Thank you again Dan for coming to MTME and spending time with us and our customers. I heard from Kerry that it was a really nice time. Here is a picture from the meet and greet. Looks like your holding an AFO in this pic? Since I now have my hands on them i'll probably do a youtube video to compare the AFO to the AFC.
608BDCCB-E540-4D4F-9F12-B7892DEC1588.jpeg

Thanks again!

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #734 of 2,583
if it didn't have that little sibilance that doesn't seem to get away with burn in, it would be my end game hp. it finally satisfied my need of bass and slam without ruining the mids.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back