MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #691 of 2,583
I agree with mtnercer about almost everything.
To me they worth the additional cost because i need bass in my life LOL.
Punch slam or whatever you wanna call it, on afo is another category. I can't do ab comparison as i don't have 650 at the moment, i did some ab with hd660s tough.... And afo wins. Afo brought back to life old albums, royksopp's junior never sounded so alive and full and engaging. Afo is what afc should have sounded..
I understand, from what I read, the AFO is great for genres like electronics and pop, just my favorite genres, more like it behaves with classical music, jazz, acoustic music and other genres that have more emphasis in the upper region ?

Dec 2, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #692 of 2,583
I understand, from what I read, the AFO is great for genres like electronics and pop, just my favorite genres, more like it behaves with classical music, jazz, acoustic music and other genres that have more emphasis in the upper region ?
Oh I wouldn't say jazz and other acoustic music prefers the upper region. Piano, jazz guitar, sax and double bass are all mid more mid focused with highs coming through on the cymbals and snares. Classical is maybe better suited to something more clinical

Dec 2, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #693 of 2,583
Oh I wouldn't say jazz and other acoustic music prefers the upper region. Piano, jazz guitar, sax and double bass are all mid more mid focused with highs coming through on the cymbals and snares. Classical is maybe better suited to something more clinical
You did not answer my question, most people buy headphones with a more neutral signature to listen to these genres, contrary to the AFO that has a warm and euphonic signature, so I ask again, how AFO behaves with the genres mentioned " And "the genres that have more emphasis on the treble ?

Dec 2, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #694 of 2,583
You did not answer my question, most people buy headphones with a more neutral signature to listen to these genres, contrary to the AFO that has a warm and euphonic signature, so I ask again, how AFO behaves with the genres mentioned " And "the genres that have more emphasis on the treble ?
Ahhh gotcha. Didn't realize that was a question haha. I think, in so many ways, it'll depend more on the recording than the genre. If you listen to Correa's acoustic 'spain' for example, that's with all the instruments I mentioned earlier, but the double bass doesn't even come close to low end frequencies. But if all were recorded equally, I'd say probably better for jazz and acoustic. Maybe not quite as good with classical? I'm not a classical guy personally, but I hear the HD 800 is the way to go there.

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #695 of 2,583
Should I listen to these headphones or not?

I'm quite afraid that I end up buying them based on how super impressed I am by the Aeon Flow closed :p And I don't really need an other open headphone.

Dec 3, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #696 of 2,583

I'm quite afraid that I end up buying them based on how super impressed I am by the Aeon Flow closed :p And I don't really need an other open headphone.
listen-you-should-or-mistakes-you-shall-make.jpg

Dec 3, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #697 of 2,583

Don't... I sold afc after 2 weeks because it was too neutral and bass shy for a closed hp... This afo is the way to go.

I don't listen very much to jazz and classical but if you don't use any filters there' s all the sparkle you want..

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #700 of 2,583
Burn in doesn't improve sibilance.. I'm using 1notch beacause of that and there's still a bit of ssss. Maybe the only flaw of afo. But there isn't the perfect hp. And i prefer a bit of sibilance comparing to the 650 but more slam. 650 lacks of bass impact

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #703 of 2,583
Can
Burn in doesn't improve sibilance.. I'm using 1notch beacause of that and there's still a bit of ssss. Maybe the only flaw of afo. But there isn't the perfect hp. And i prefer a bit of sibilance comparing to the 650 but more slam. 650 lacks of bass impact
If you don't mind could you point me to a song with a clear amount of sibilance ?

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #705 of 2,583

So your headphones are:

Headphones: Focal Utopia, Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD800, Sennheiser HD650, Shure SRH 1840, AKG K240, B&W P5

Looks like your covered!! :)

Invest in approx at least bare minimum $30,000+++ for starters...... on a 2 channel hifi system and it should surpass your headphone experience with your current gear with 3d holographic surreal enjoyment :wink: You already have a great DAC setup so build from there.

Not sure what the Aeon Open can offer you with your current lineup. For a change of Planar flavour the HE1000 mk2 (or heavier Audeze offerings) may provide you some different sound compared to your dynamic type of headphones in your list......I still feel the organic realism vibe for vocals more with the HE1000 mk2 configuration over the Aeon Open...... :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back