MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #601 of 2,583
Can anyone give me the relative merits of the Open vs Closed models?

When the Closed first came out, I thought it would be a good 'phone to add to my collection since I don't have any quality closed 'phones. But now that the Open model is released, it seems many people are saying it sounds better.

Truthfully, I rarely find myself needing a closed 'phone (in which case, I'd likely use an IEM anyway). If I don't have a need to use a closed 'phone, is it a no-brainer decision to go with the Open model?

BTW, my other headphones are HD800S, Elear, HD650/600/580, Amiron and DT-880 (along with various lesser models). I've been wanting to get a pair of planar magnetic 'phones and the Aeon seems like the best option.

Go open. Closed cans have their own limitations. I can't tell about AFC as I didn't have a chance to listen it. But I don't ever reach my EFC since I own AFO.

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #602 of 2,583
And another award for the Open! Thanks for taking your time to review the headphones! Full review here.

Asset 89.png

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 28, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #608 of 2,583
Go open. Closed cans have their own limitations. I can't tell about AFC as I didn't have a chance to listen it. But I don't ever reach my EFC since I own AFO.

Do you have efc? Don't you mind telling me the differences? I am tempted, i love afo but maybe efc is better.. Thx

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #609 of 2,583

+1

I far prefer the Open Aeon to the Closed Aeon. It feels as if the aeon driver is a bit more unrestrained and powerful in the bass in the open configuration. AFO also has more natural highs.

Both are great, the closed is no slouch itself.

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #610 of 2,583
Does anyone have a comparison review between the aeon flow open and focal elear? I currently own a focal elear, and while elear has some of the best bass slam for an open pair of headphones, their mids do sound a bit uneven due to the upper mids dip. The highs, while not fatiguing, does sound a bit too dark for my taste. I would like to know if aeon open has more 'balanced' sound signature. Would love to audition it but i live pretty far from nearest headphone stores lol.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #612 of 2,583
Very much agree with the Earphiles review. Remarkably good tonal balance, build, and comfort. Soundstage depth sucks.
Depth seems to be more in keen with volume
I used it with a schiit fulla that maybe the reason, but the mdr-1r has better sound placement. Might be cause its closed. I hear footsteps very clearly.
Csgo can probably be a lil more chaotic with sound ill try mine out but I could pinpoint footsteps and gunshots pretty easily and the volume of the footsteps would indicate how far they're i sometimes id hear like tapping and know the enemy is at the edge of my hearing range for footsteps.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #613 of 2,583
Does anyone have a comparison review between the aeon flow open and focal elear? I currently own a focal elear, and while elear has some of the best bass slam for an open pair of headphones, their mids do sound a bit uneven due to the upper mids dip. The highs, while not fatiguing, does sound a bit too dark for my taste. I would like to know if aeon open has more 'balanced' sound signature. Would love to audition it but i live pretty far from nearest headphone stores lol.

i used to have elear and aeom is way better.. not different. just better... aeon is more punchier and has not those shouty mids that elear has.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #614 of 2,583
i used to have elear and aeom is way better.. not different. just better... aeon is more punchier and has not those shouty mids that elear has.
Thats good to hear. What about the bass and the highs? I know there are reviews online describing these sort of things but i'd rather hear the opinion of someone who actually owns or had owned both. haha

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #615 of 2,583
Thats good to hear. What about the bass and the highs? I know there are reviews online describing these sort of things but i'd rather hear the opinion of someone who actually owns or had owned both. haha

i find bass as good as lcd2 bass. maybe better... i don't know the terms in english, but it's full without being overwhelming like for example sony z7, it's not bloomy. highs are not fatiguing.
the only flaw is, for me, that there's a little "SSSS" , even with 2 notch filters and even after 90hours of burn in...
however, this aeon sounds like the closed version should have sounded. it's not really open, i did an a/b test with a modded grado by italian "spirit labs", grado was way more open sounding. and there was no hiss at all... but in general aeon was more "complete", expecially in the comfort/build quality department..

i still waiting for an ether (c)flow/aeon open comparison :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back