MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #616 of 2,583
i find bass as good as lcd2 bass. maybe better... i don't know the terms in english, but it's full without being overwhelming like for example sony z7, it's not bloomy. highs are not fatiguing.
the only flaw is, for me, that there's a little "SSSS" , even with 2 notch filters and even after 90hours of burn in...
however, this aeon sounds like the closed version should have sounded. it's not really open, i did an a/b test with a modded grado by italian "spirit labs", grado was way more open sounding. and there was no hiss at all... but in general aeon was more "complete", expecially in the comfort/build quality department..

i still waiting for an ether (c)flow/aeon open comparison :)
Are you talking about airy ? Or open because i feel like it has a bigger soundstage over my hd650 and i havent even properly amped my aeon yet. My tube amp doesn't work with the aeon it's meant for high impedance.

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #617 of 2,583
i find bass as good as lcd2 bass. maybe better... i don't know the terms in english, but it's full without being overwhelming like for example sony z7, it's not bloomy. highs are not fatiguing.
the only flaw is, for me, that there's a little "SSSS" , even with 2 notch filters and even after 90hours of burn in...
however, this aeon sounds like the closed version should have sounded. it's not really open, i did an a/b test with a modded grado by italian "spirit labs", grado was way more open sounding. and there was no hiss at all... but in general aeon was more "complete", expecially in the comfort/build quality department..

i still waiting for an ether (c)flow/aeon open comparison :)
Is the sound stage more open on the Audezes than on the AFO?

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #618 of 2,583
Do you have efc? Don't you mind telling me the differences? I am tempted, i love afo but maybe efc is better.. Thx
EFC is the best closed can I've ever heard. But you will find AFO better. EFC is more neutral, while AFO is somehow tuned in a way to deliver more pleasure. Especially, bass in AFO seems to be more speedy and hit harder than EFC.
Particularly, I like vocal tonality on AFO. It sounds more organic and real than EFC and any other cans I've ever heard.

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #619 of 2,583
thank you for the comparison. that was i tought.. think i'll stick wit AFO after all. i read that also ether flow is more neutral and brighter. i prefer warmer sound.
however, soundstage on afo is like a closed can, hd650 in my opinion hasn't got the bigger soundstage too. lcd2 has got more air, grado modded or akg have bigger soundstage.
take a look on spiritlabs site, they have the biggest value for the money

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #620 of 2,583
thank you for the comparison. that was i tought.. think i'll stick wit AFO after all. i read that also ether flow is more neutral and brighter. i prefer warmer sound.
however, soundstage on afo is like a closed can, hd650 in my opinion hasn't got the bigger soundstage too. lcd2 has got more air, grado modded or akg have bigger soundstage.
take a look on spiritlabs site, they have the biggest value for the money

I guess warmth of AFO might make perceived soundstage smaller like hd650. Despite this, I think AFO's imaging abilities and instrument separations are even better than hd800s which blasts wide soundstage. After all, AFO is pretty much musical and does not sound congested at all.
One day, I was quite impressed with the wide-soundstage of hd800s. Then I found myself in an airplane to realize listening Bose QC25 (~$180) could be more enjoyable than hd800s, and sold hd800s. Sometimes, I want to feel wide soundstage hd800s can deliver, but in many other times, I would prefer warmer and musical sonic signature of AFO.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #621 of 2,583
I guess warmth of AFO might make perceived soundstage smaller like hd650. Despite this, I think AFO's imaging abilities and instrument separations are even better than hd800s which blasts wide soundstage. After all, AFO is pretty much musical and does not sound congested at all.
One day, I was quite impressed with the wide-soundstage of hd800s. Then I found myself in an airplane to realize listening Bose QC25 (~$180) could be more enjoyable than hd800s, and sold hd800s. Sometimes, I want to feel wide soundstage hd800s can deliver, but in many other times, I would prefer warmer and musical sonic signature of AFO.
Curious what your set up is?

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #622 of 2,583

Personally i don't care about soundstage at all... I don't listen to classical music. Music to me is all about warmth and punch. Sunday i tried hd800s... After 3 minutes i put them away. Listening to lanny kravitz "again" was like listening to a broken radio.. Switched to grado modded and aeon and it was night and day

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #625 of 2,583
Would anyone know if the schiit stack would be a good match with AFO? And as you would define his soundstage, I have not yet seen any analysis talking about it in more depth.
You get what you pay for imo if you're looking to bring out the most in the headphones id say its a definitive no but as a entry level it should be fine to get enough volume.

Nov 29, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #627 of 2,583
I don't know yet i have a high impedance tube amp(my afo literally sounds bloated and muddy from it) ive read a couple of website reviews and they have all pointed to the cayin iha-6 now that it goes for 700 bucks vs 1k im going to buy one this week. Ill let ya know :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #628 of 2,583
Fyi the schitt stack will bring out the sound signature of the hp but if you've ever gone up the amp scale you'd know there is a difference and you finally get to realize what is missing and why a very good amp can be important for an audiophile.

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #629 of 2,583
Fyi the schitt stack will bring out the sound signature of the hp but if you've ever gone up the amp scale you'd know there is a difference and you finally get to realize what is missing and why a very good amp can be important for an audiophile.
The AFO signature is enough for me, because everyone says 90% of the sound quality comes from headphones, but as for soundstage, how would you describe it ?

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #630 of 2,583
The AFO signature is enough for me, because everyone says 90% of the sound quality comes from headphones, but as for soundstage, how would you describe it ?
Soundstage seems a little wanky again i don't have an amp that can expand the soundstage properly but its definitely bigger than my hd650s with a poop driving amp from my korg dac 100 i use my hd650 with a la figaro 339 and i still find the soundstage bigger micro and macro are insanely accurate, imaging is superb. i think some people confuse airy with a bigger sense of sound stage (i think tube like distortion does it too) maybe if the afos had a slightly wider soundstage no one would be questioning it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back