Mr Speakers Ether
May 12, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #211 of 456

Yup. It is called the forums. 
k701smile.gif

I'm thinking that's not so much "help" lol

May 12, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #212 of 456
It helps the economy :)

Since you haven't done much purchasing in 5 years it looks like you are due a few purchases here and there.

May 13, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #214 of 456
Check the last couple of pages of the impressions thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/760249/mrspeakers-ether-impressions-thread/720

May 13, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #215 of 456
Anyone knows how much sound leakage we may be expecting with the Ether?
This post...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/760249/mrspeakers-ether-impressions-thread/735#post_11588987

May 13, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #216 of 456
I ordered an Ether with a DUM cable terminated in an XLR connector.  This is the first time I'm using an XLR connection from headphone to amp.  But some of my amps only support an SE output.  Would it be better for me to: 1) get an XLR to 1/4" adapter, or 2) get another headphone cable from MrSpeakers for the Ether with a 1/4" or 3.5 mm connector?  Or does it make much difference?  Thanks.

May 13, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #217 of 456
I ordered an Ether with a DUM cable terminated in an XLR connector.  This is the first time I'm using an XLR connection from headphone to amp.  But some of my amps only support an SE output.  Would it be better for me to: 1) get an XLR to 1/4" adapter, or 2) get another headphone cable from MrSpeakers for the Ether with a 1/4" or 3.5 mm connector?  Or does it make much difference?  Thanks.

All you will need is the XLR to 1/4 adapter.

May 13, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #218 of 456

I'd suggest an XLR to 1/4". Keeps it simple, also would be nice to have one of those in DUM material as well so as not to alter the cable's SQ :)

May 14, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #219 of 456
If you have someone build a cable for you, or build one yourself, I have found it convenient to have the amp end terminated to mini XLR.  I then have 3 connector ends made, terminated in mating mini XLR connectors - 4 pin XLR for balanced wired connection, 1/4" and 1/8".  Make the adapter part a little longer than you think you need.  I have 2 cables like this, both with adapter ends at about 9" to 1' long.  Next time, I'll have the adapter ends at 18" to 2' long.  This makes for one cable that can quickly adapt to any connection.  one could have a Kobicon adapter made as well if necessary.  This is really the only reason I get custom cables - connect-ability and flexibility of the cable.  Oh, and looks.  Seriously, I'm kind of vain.

I guess I should add - the DUM cable is pretty nice - I saw and used one on a pair of Ethers at the SF Bay mini meet a couple or 3 weeks ago.  I would surely consider one.

May 18, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #220 of 456
Dan, I can't seem to find the post where you said it, but you mentioned the wiring could be 88 or 22 ohm (ie two 44 ohm drivers); and you chose to go with the 22 ohm option for the bump in efficiency.

My question is what were your other thoughts about the series wiring option? Is anything lost, or to be gained with that configuration?

May 22, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #223 of 456
Does that mean it has improved from the clear heatsink covered version?

This one was covered in black techflex or similar. That seemed to be the only drawback. Tech flex has kind of a scratchy sound and feel. The cable is stiffer than some. I have a custom built one from really slinky wire with paracord over it. I just wanted a really slinky cable. That said, I didn't mind the DUM cable. I'd be fine owning one for the Ether.

May 22, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #224 of 456
The clear an tech flex were to get thesound right but for production we are using a woven nylon. It has some microphonics but is way quieter than tech flex, and much more supple.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 22, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #225 of 456
The clear an tech flex were to get thesound right but for production we are using a woven nylon. It has some microphonics but is way quieter than tech flex, and much more supple.

Awesome to hear.  You are sucking me in further.  Eventually, I won't be able to swim out of the maelstrom....  Actually, I already can't.  Finite resources are the only reason I'm not on preorder.  The Ether is a really wonderful headphone.  I'll have one eventually.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back