moving on from ms1's
Jun 14, 2011 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PoliHigh

New Head-Fier
I have had some music series ones for half a year now and they have broken, the left side rattles on heavy bass when any moderate volume is used. I also use them out of my guitar amp which I think might have blown them on that left side. My ms1'sare great for guitar the straight forward sound with great mids sounded perfect for guitar. I'm going to repair them and I'm thinking about selling them or using them mostly for playing guitar. The soundstage and non around ear fit of the ms1's is great but I would like to try something new with a bit more boom and bigger soundstage. I'm interested in stepping up in purchase price ($200 CDN or under) hopefully to get a "better" sounding headphone very soon. I have done lots of research and the 558 from sennheiser is what I'm leaning to right now. I mostly listen to vinyl into an old sansui amplifier from the 70's. I would be plugging them into my computer for mostly flac files as well( will get a dac eventually,Will it make the sound through my sansui and speakers better too?).i really enjoyed the sound of the ms1 but want a bigger sound. are the 558's a good idea? recomendations anyone?

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 6
i tried getting the hair out, the fella on the phone at allessandro said the same, although I got a lot out, it still rattles. I don't have a vacuum but i will try blowing. Do you know of anyone having similar problems?

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Most likely there is only hair inside the air chamber causing the rattle. Try blowing air in it or vacuuming it gently. The hair could also be stuck on the comfypad.

Grados don't do well with Bass

I bought Sony MDR-V6 to oppose my Grados. They are pretty much opposite to what grados provide. They are great with bass and have good coverage overall.

You can get a pair of HD-598's which are HD-558's that are a little better. The major difference is the color, the style and a piece of tape in the headphones. You can take the tape out and they sound almost close to HD-598 but not exactly like them. Then you can also get the HD-598 from JR if you call them up for $179.99. It's what I paid for this morning and now waiting PATIENTLY
deadhorse.gif
 to get them. The Hd-558 go for $160 so why not get the better pair for $180?. This is like the sixth time I said this today

The Hd-598 are like Grado but better and also better then the SR135i and with more mids, clearer and better overall tone.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 6
just called jr they do ship to the 598 to canada for 180$ plus shipping and fees thanks for letting me in on that deal, planning a trip to new york this year, might just have to pick them up in person!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back