Moving from full-sized to portable
Nov 22, 2012 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HeroicPenguin

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've recently run into a dilemma of sorts. I'm currently a senior in college and I've finally built up a full rig that I love (HD600, Schiit Asgard, Audioquest Dragonfly), but I barely use it. I'm eventually going to graduate school and work and can't see myself using this rig all that often. However, I'm wondering if I'll have regrets about selling it and going to an all-portable set-up, during the infrequent times that I can use this set-up. The portables that I currently have are certainly no slouches (Dragonfly + Heir 4.Ai), but I'm definitely curious if anyone else has completely gotten rid of a full-sized set-up and been happy with that decision? As is, I'm thinking about consolidating into just 2-3 IEMs (one cheap for working out, one mid-range, one high-end) and one portable headphone (likely the Sony MDR-1R, since it seems to have the sound signature I like). Any thoughts/perspectives?

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 7
I have. I had a HD600>Bottlehead Crack (fully upgraded)> Audioengine D1 at the height of my desktop rig. I have the same issue as you, I'm not home too often, and when I am, I hate being tied down by my rig. Though diminishing money returns have hurt me, I'm down to my Studio V 3rd ANV, a Hifimediy DAC, and (very very soon) some Tzar 350's.

Am I regretting the journey from desktop to portable? Not a bit. I actually prefer IEM's now for intense listening, while I do enjoy over ears for that larger feel. I do occasionally miss my old rig, but the convenience of getting to sit anywhere and listen to max potential easily makes up for it. I do say keep 2 IEM's (your 4.Ai's and maybe a warmer sig like the IE80's, or even the RE262's would be good if you like the 600's), and I would personally invest in a pair of KSC75's. They have blown me away with how good they sound for how cheap. Maybe keep a pair of over ears around, something like modding some T50RP's or something of the sort. I personally would keep your DAC unless you'll be getting something like the DX100. It's nice to have good sound when you are on the computer. As far as a DAP goes and whatnot, I personally have liked my Studio so far. My review is almost finished, but other than the kinda lame UI and the mild hiss, it's awesome. My DIYmod/C421 combo was also excellent, and that would also provide you with a hiss free amp, but at the cost of more bulk. 

In other news, just do it. For a portable on ear, the deals going on are stupid. Try the KSC75's, or if you want something closed get the S400/S500's. I haven't regretted a moment, and IEM's are (IMO) a lot easier to get what you want with them.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
I have. I had a HD600>Bottlehead Crack (fully upgraded)> Audioengine D1 at the height of my desktop rig. I have the same issue as you, I'm not home too often, and when I am, I hate being tied down by my rig. Though diminishing money returns have hurt me, I'm down to my Studio V 3rd ANV, a Hifimediy DAC, and (very very soon) some Tzar 350's.

Am I regretting the journey from desktop to portable? Not a bit. I actually prefer IEM's now for intense listening, while I do enjoy over ears for that larger feel. I do occasionally miss my old rig, but the convenience of getting to sit anywhere and listen to max potential easily makes up for it. I do say keep 2 IEM's (your 4.Ai's and maybe a warmer sig like the IE80's, or even the RE262's would be good if you like the 600's), and I would personally invest in a pair of KSC75's. They have blown me away with how good they sound for how cheap. Maybe keep a pair of over ears around, something like modding some T50RP's or something of the sort. I personally would keep your DAC unless you'll be getting something like the DX100. It's nice to have good sound when you are on the computer. As far as a DAP goes and whatnot, I personally have liked my Studio so far. My review is almost finished, but other than the kinda lame UI and the mild hiss, it's awesome. My DIYmod/C421 combo was also excellent, and that would also provide you with a hiss free amp, but at the cost of more bulk. 

In other news, just do it. For a portable on ear, the deals going on are stupid. Try the KSC75's, or if you want something closed get the S400/S500's. I haven't regretted a moment, and IEM's are (IMO) a lot easier to get what you want with them.

This is actually just what I wanted to hear. The RE262 is actually on it's way as the second IEM, so that's all set. I also just bit on a $80 AD900, which is easier to drive than the HD600, so I might just keep that as a home rig set-up.

Still definitely curious about other opinions though.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

This is actually just what I wanted to hear. The RE262 is actually on it's way as the second IEM, so that's all set. I also just bit on a $80 AD900, which is easier to drive than the HD600, so I might just keep that as a home rig set-up.

Still definitely curious about other opinions though.

You gotta let me give those a shot sometime. I've been dying to hear them one day X.X Just remember, even though customs are always a good thought, make positive you'll like the sound sig first, or even stick to universals with custom tips.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 7
$80!?  Wow, that hurts. My AD900's are 4 years old, but I paid $249 for them and felt I got a good deal because you couldn't get them for less than $279 at the time. They were great around the house with an Ipod because they sound the same no matter what the source.  The fit is a little light for moving around and they leak a lot of sound, but they also allow you to still hear what's going on around you. You can bend the bars on top for a tighter fit, and the "phat pad" mod will keep the plastic from touching your ears.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

You gotta let me give those a shot sometime. I've been dying to hear them one day X.X Just remember, even though customs are always a good thought, make positive you'll like the sound sig first, or even stick to universals with custom tips.

Yep, was just stalking the Deals thread when that popped up. If they have the clear midrange that I like, well it would seem that my decision might be made for me.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 7
I still have them, but never listen to them. Treble is far to bright for my tastes and that is coming from the K702 which many feel are too bright for them, but I feel are just right. Soundstage really is amazing on the AD900 though.  Like watching a concert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back